Windows 7 Which User Account to use

ultrageek

This is possible the lamest question to ask, so late in the OS game, but I can't seem to find anything on it anywhere (probably just don't know how to google for it!). I run Windows 7, and of course have the normal Administrator account that one creates when installing. I wan't to create a standard user account for every day use, but two things bother me with this:

1) When I install software that I want to use every day, do I install hem via the Admin account, and will they be available in the standard account then too? Some software packages don't give you the option to 'install for all users', so should I then rather install those in the standard account, and if I want them to be available in BOTH accounts, do I install it twice then? And if that software is software that might require admin privileges (for instance a small app to monitor system temperature), where to I install THAT from?

2) Do automatic windows updates run for ALL account simultaneously? In other words, I were to spend most of my time online in the standard account, will Windows Updates run and indeed install, or do I have to log into the admin account from time to time and download updates? And what about other software updates, will they also run and install while I'm logged into the standard account?

Any tips will be appreciated :)

This is possible the lamest question to ask, so late in the OS game, but I can't seem to find anything on it anywhere (probably just don't know how to google for it!). I run Windows 7, and of course have the normal Administrator account that one creates when installing. I wan't to create a standard user account for every day use, but two things bother me with this:

1) When I install software that I want to use every day, do I install hem via the Admin account, and will they be available in the standard account then too? Some software packages don't give you the option to 'install for all users', so should I then rather install those in the standard account, and if I want them to be available in BOTH accounts, do I install it twice then? And if that software is software that might require admin privileges (for instance a small app to monitor system temperature), where to I install THAT from?

The software package you install has to have the option for installing to all users. Otherwise yes, you'll have to install on that account

2) Do automatic windows updates run for ALL account simultaneously? In other words, I were to spend most of my time online in the standard account, will Windows Updates run and indeed install, or do I have to log into the admin account from time to time and download updates? And what about other software updates, will they also run and install while I'm logged into the standard account?)

you can run Automatic Updates from any account except for a limited account, I believe

Thank you for your reply, reghakr, it answers most of my questions :) Just one more... Do I then install software that only installs into one account, each time in each account (all into the same spot on the HDD, i.e. Program Files\xxx) or should I give each their spot as well?

Back