Windows 10 Who will do the Tutorials for Windows 10

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I figure, if done and presented correctly, it will take about 5 tutorials to answer 98% of any questions about Windows 10.

Such things as how to make a Public Network a Private Network should be very popular. And it should not be much of a stretch to find other common questions.

The ones concerning licensing and upgrades might be one in which an explanation of "we don't know" might be the best approach.

There will probably be a flurry of questions the first day or so ;) after the Windows 10 public release starting on July 31st. It would be nice to have clear and concise tutorials to point to for explanations.

I expect most of the questions to be related to cosmetic features (Wifi Share, Cortana, VDs). Although truthfully I'm excited to dig into the guts of the official release. I've read most of the Windows Internals 6th Edition Windows Internals Book books which is based on Windows 7 to have carried over to 8 and 8.1 and have found it extremely valuable. I'm hoping to test and compare this on 10.

I have both the 5 and 6 Internals books. But a question which will definitely be asked is "what happens if my hard drive fails'. Trouble and I have an answer, does anyone else?

It would be nice to have clear and concise tutorials to point to for explanations.
May need to keep an extra eye on them because Microsoft will change Windows X almost as soon as it's released if the past is any yardstick.

Are we talking about tutorials on this forum, or generally??

They are mushrooming now on the web. I have recently been looking through this one
Windows 10 Tutorials

But I, very much alone, I think, don't like video tutorials. I prefer something I can stick in front of me and read through. Many of the amateur videos being posted now, have a load of trash for the first couple of minutes, before getting to the basics.

Referring to the OP. I agree with the number needed. There is a well known forum site, where the tutorials have become so vast, that they have almost been rendered unusable, as far as navigation is concerned. They deal with too much trivia and concern over subjects which could original have applied to XP or even earlier..

Last edited:
I figure, if done and presented correctly, it will take about 5 tutorials to answer 98% of any questions about Windows 10.

Such things as how to make a Public Network a Private Network should be very popular. And it should not be much of a stretch to find other common questions.

The ones concerning licensing and upgrades might be one in which an explanation of "we don't know" might be the best approach.

There will probably be a flurry of questions the first day or so ;) after the Windows 10 public release starting on July 31st. It would be nice to have clear and concise tutorials to point to for explanations.
I can do tutorials no problem :)

I was hoping for basic, simple to understand answers to the most likely asked questions. The forum staff could get together and decide if one would be adequate for a special section... or write them in house.

Also they would be locked and any comments would need to be done in the main forum, not the tutorial.

Finally, someone brought this up! We certainly have a plan in place, to create, and implement, a tutorial system that acts in a manner consistent with the way the forum already works, but is a separate section from the forums. If anyone is interested in writing these, or posting instructional videos, we will make it a priority to feature this type of content, as a very high priority. It is important for us to realize that the tutorial section overhaul is needed badly. That being said, @kemical and I have discussed this issue at great length. Thus, this, perhaps, is a top priority at this point in time. Only when we arrive at the conclusion that this system may work, and how we will properly and appropriately attribute credit for this content, will we have it online. Of course, there is a lot to learn about Windows and that is why people come to places like this. Our primary concern is that the Windows 8, Windows 7, and other tutorial sections feature some great content, but a lot of it is bogged down in seriously questionable territory (questions that aren't really tutorials, really bad IDEAS that are tutorials, etc). Thus, if you are curious, I will be doing some video tutorials and reviews, but we are really hoping, this time, if we facilitate the proper infrastructure, there will be high quality tutorials written by technical experts that we will feature on the website in a manner that is consistent with that is expected of a modern technical support website.

Well said Mike, is there anyway to have a review and approval process for tutorials? I've looked at a handful for kicks and as previously stated some of them are just flat out bad and/or inaccurate.

Back