Windows 7 why did hp delay in making new drivers available

ptexpress

i really do not understand why hp delayed in making new drivers available for all their products

you would think that they would be a head of the curve not in rear

see attached

Don't know,

It was posted in the forum and elsewhere on the Internet that no Windows 7 drivers would be available until the final release.

They're not going to create drivers for old or obsolete hardware. Not one hardware manufacturer will. They are outdated and will not be upgraded

I guess MS wants you to buy a new PC:rolleyes:

Have you looked at the garbage hardware inside of an HP? it's hodge-podge menagerie or crap, that would be my first clue as to why. That and the drivers realy dont come from HP, they come from the halfassed manufacturers of the hardware it's self. HP is nothing more than a case badge and stickers don't need drivers.

Don't know,

It was posted in the forum and elsewhere on the Internet that no Windows 7 drivers would be available until the final release.

They're not going to create drivers for old or obsolete hardware. Not one hardware manufacturer will. They are outdated and will not be upgraded

I guess MS wants you to buy a new PC:rolleyes:

I do not think MS has anything to do with HP not making drivers for old equipment it up to the manufacturer to create the drivers not MS. HP wants you to by new equipment printers especially as ink is cash cow for all printer manufacturers. Many will find that scanners may not work same for manufacturer of scanners they would prefer ou buy a new one instead of maki9ng drivers for the old ones.

I do not think MS has anything to do with HP not making drivers for old equipment it up to the manufacturer to create the drivers

that's basically what I said.

But if the old obsolete hardware will not work, people will either have to upgrade to a newer component or buy a new PC:rolleyes:
==========================================
Regarding HP's........

After too many problems with my so called high-end home theater PC, it trashed my HP and took out the Creative X-=Fi 7,,1 channel sound card and the Nvidia 8500 GT and placed them in my cheap $399.00 E-Machine PC.

Windows 7 is flying, Windows Vista is slow.

Final verdict........HP's suck!

Just playing devils advocate here,

If you purchased your machine with windows vista, and your support package does not extend to an upgraded OS, You really dont have a gripe with HP, after all I'm sure they are supporting the OS that came with your machine at the time of it's purchase.

Now on the other hand, if you bought a brand new HP with windows 7 included or at the very least with the windows 7 ready sticker on the package, I believe that HP should be obligated to ensure driver support for the machine they put their name on. Even if the drivers are for a third party device.

I noticed that the screencap you attached was for a printer. Did you purchase the printer before or after the launch of 7 and did HP make any guarantee that support for the printer would be available from the moment of it's launch? Was the a Windows 7 logo any ware on the product, it's package or the display model?

On HP's very own site, The product specs claim compatibility with Vista and make no mention of Windows 7 support.

Look at it this way, If I buy something that says "Requires windows vista OR BETTER." Doesn't mean it's going to be functional on Linux even though Linux technically is "BETTER." My point Windows 7 is a different OS just because it has the same look and feel and brand parody doesn't mean it's going to function as desired if at all. For that matter, and i hate to sound as if I'm defending Microsoft, I've never heard them make any claim that 100% of your third party device's functionality will carry over to their subsequent OS's. Although they do make it sound as if that's what they want you to believe.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but you as a consumer are the one who must make an educated decision when buying someone's product. In short, buyer be ware.

HP drivers

Not all old HP products are unworkable with Vista/Win7

I have a 10+ year old Laserjet 4000 and a Scanjet 5300 of simular age. The printer works just fine with the standard drivers that come from HP and windows update. The scanner along with most others work using Vuescan whose driver also allows the use of some features of HP precision scan.

Moral: look for solutions from common generic drivers.

Danaw

I have an HP Laserjet 1020. The Windows7 drivers will be out sometime, maybe. I can't for the life of me see what buying a new computer would do. I'd have a new computer and no Windows7 drivers for my printer.

If HP really believes their printers are only for the current operating system, perhaps they should say so on the box or in the manual. I can understand my really old, and lovely, HP Laserjet 4L, not being supported but I bought the LJ 1020 less than two years ago.

IMHO, HP has terrible support for their products. Nvidia has drivers for my graphics card which is older than my printer. My Intel motherboard, with onboard sound, is doing fine and it's older than my printer.

HP did recently come out with a driver program for the LJ1020. I doesn't work but the Vista version didn't work either. I did manage to get the drivers loaded.

Not all old HP products are unworkable with Vista/Win7

I have a 10+ year old Laserjet 4000 and a Scanjet 5300 of simular age. The printer works just fine with the standard drivers that come from HP and windows update. The scanner along with most others work using Vuescan whose driver also allows the use of some features of HP precision scan.

Moral: look for solutions from common generic drivers.

Danaw

You're lucky to have purchassed printers that are compatible with Microsoft's catch all drivers. As for generic drivers? The Linux community has be cruising along with them for years, it's sometimes a pain, but I can even make my Lexmark, one of the most notoriously incompatible printers when it comes to Linux spit out full color pages with perfect quality.

If HP really believes their printers are only for the current operating system, perhaps they should say so on the box or in the manual. I can understand my really old, and lovely, HP Laserjet 4L, not being supported but I bought the LJ 1020 less than two years ago.

I'm fairly sure that HP fully disclosed which OS the printer would be supported for both in the manual, and on the package and probably on the display literature as well. I'm also fairly sure they have never made any promise to support every product for every OS to come. They often do, but perhaps this is one of those exceptions.

This my friend is how the phrase "Vote with your wallet" came to be. I was a long time fan of ATI video cards until a card that I bought only 2 years ago stopped receiving ATI support. As it happens there was another brand of video card that seems to have done a better job listening to the needs of their customers. So now I give my business to nVidia and ATI can suffer the fate of all companies who done give a damn what their customers want or need as far as I'm concerned.

HP drivers

on second thought maybe the reason that my LJ4000 works is that it is/was a business level printer so the support would tend to be better.

DanaW

Nice! more people are starting to understand that while the corporate giants will take money from all the little guy's they can, it's only other big businesses they truly give a damn about. After all big business clients have the clout to bankrupt another business if they take their money elsewhere. Immagine if the masses of individual customers used this valuable tool they call the internet to spread the word to eachother to stop giving money to companies that don't listen to the needs of their customers.

Oh and I can just see it now, Tblount is getting ready to quote that last part, toss in some obscure passage from the patriot act and chock up my statement to an act of economic terrorism and inform me that I could be prosecuted convicted, tarred, feathered, drawn, quartered, roasted and served for Thanksgiving to the starving indigenousness people of.... wherever. :p

Back