Windows 8 Why do I have so many Users?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Today I was just looking through stuff, and I came upon my users list.
Why do I see so many Users listed and can I safely remove some of them.

I don't even know where these come from?

Users List..JPG

Users List 2..JPG

What are these accounts that say Account Unknown?

It would seem to me that I could show as little as 2 users listed mine and the default Administrator account.

Can I delete some of these safely?

Anyone have any incite on this?

On another note: Why can't you expand these windows like those shown above.
Why do I have to scroll to show the contents on a small window like this?
This is something that has always bugged me.

How hard would it be for Windows to be able to see how much space is needed to show the contents and make the window that size?

Mike

Have you done a scan for maleware? Could it be form some software you installed? One of the net framework versions maybe 3.0 created a user account when it installed.
Joe

Hi

My computer is always clean, I'm kind of paranoid about it.
I know Net Framework created one User Account but I have no idea where the others came from.

I guess I'll delete the most obvious ones like Unknown Account and see what happens.

Mike

Well I decided to go and remove some of the User Profiles and now I can't find the screen that I posted an image of.
I just don't remember how I got to it, and when I run a search for User Profiles it come up blank.

This said User Profiles not User Accounts, (check the title in the images about) and there were a lot more Profiles then I have User Accounts?

This said User Profiles not User Accounts, (check the title in the images about) and there were a lot more Profiles then I have User Accounts?

I just checked mine and my User Account and my User Profile have just the one. I would not know why you should have a difference there.

The easiest way to see the whole span, Mike, is through the Administrative tools - Computer Management - Local users and groups - Users.
On the few occasions when I have had to clean up in that area, I have always found deleting the "unknown" ones seems not to do harm. Any others can only be based on your personal knowledge of where they came from.

It is a good idea to disable any doubtful ones first, through right clicking "properties" It, at least, gives you the opportunity to re-enable if things go awry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

I really looked and my User Accounts list and checked to see where they come from.

User Accounts.JPG

The first was on the computer when I received it.

The second is because I installed Net Frame Work 1.1 because I have software the needs it.
I think this is what caused my Windows Firewall problems.

The Third is the Guest account, don't know if I need this for anything.

The forth is my personal administrator account.

The 5th is installed by Nvidia, I have no idea why? It says it is there to install updates.

I never did find my way back to the User Profile display that started all of this.
I don't know how I got there and searches for it produce nothing.

Mike

The easiest way to see the whole span, Mike, is through the Administrative tools - Computer Management - Local users and groups - Users.
On the few occasions when I have had to clean up in that area, I have always found deleting the "unknown" ones seems not to do harm. Any others can only be based on your personal knowledge of where they came from.

It is a good idea to disable any doubtful ones first, through right clicking "properties" It, at least, gives you the opportunity to re-enable if things go awry!

I just went in and looked there in my Windows 7. It has accounts created fot NVIDIA and VMware. so apparently other software does create user Accounts.
Joe

VMware, I can get along with. But as Mike suggests, the Nvidia can surely be removed? You can check manually for updates??

Back