Windows 7 Why so many temp files on my hard drives

silverman

Honorable Member
I am using Windows 7, My desk top computers has three hard drives, the "C" with just the programmers and other system files, the other two hard drives (all SATA) are used with my main files (E & F) . Drives E & F are set as "Shared drives " I often update files between my Toshiba laptop (also using Windows7) and vice versa. I have a hard wired network connection between these two computers. Now my question why are so many temp files being added to my shared hard drives, I have only noticed this recently, I certainly did not get these when I had an XP Pro set-up, and between four computers. Is this problem associated with me allowing shared use between computers? I am also running office 2010 on both these computers. My emails are using outlook and IMAP, both computers emails systems are always synchronized, I think this is a feature of MS Office 2010, and is very helpful.

What happens if I delete these temp files? I am enclosing a copy of the temp files on my "e" drive so you can see.

Comments/Answers will be appreciated.

Attachments

• what are these tmp files query.pdf
    167.2 KB · Views: 824
If you have another HD or DVD you could always save the TMP files to the drive or disc and then delete them. Usually you can delete all tmp file extensions. By saving them to another location you could always put them back if needed.

If you have another HD or DVD you could always save the TMP files to the drive or disc and then delete them. Usually you can delete all tmp file extensions. By saving them to another location you could always put them back if needed.

Thanks for your suggestion, I really want to know what is creating these temp files, one of my drives had 24 temp files added today alone, my network has not been used all day, and the only times I have looked at the computer is to check from replies from this forum.
At this rate I will have 10s of thousands of temp files in a months’ time.
Any answers will be appreciated.

It seems these days, searching the net for something like you have normally finds lots of folks selling anti-virus software, so it is hard to tell for sure. But I did see a couple of threads that mention Adobe Bridge or some program like that.

If you right click the files, do you get any information?

As Super Sarge says, moving them to another location would probably show up pretty soon if they were needed. Then you can watch the folder to see what might be doing it.

Back
Top Bottom