Windows Vista Why won't old or XP cds work in Vista?

dwaysgirl22

Just ordered a new cd that happened to be published in 2003. Popped it into my Vista lappy and got ready to transfer the cd to iTunes so I could put them on my iPod. The stupid thing made a lot of noise, some of which sounded like the drive was destroying the cd, and then I got "Please insert a CD." I tried a bunch of times, just to see if it was a fluke, still the same message. I even tried burning a cd on our old XP and then installing it on the lappy, to try to get around it, and then it asked me what I wanted to do with the blank cd I just inserted. I am so insanely frustrated with this thing I'm about ready to throw it out the window. I would except I don't feel like picking up all the glass. Anyone have any ideas/advice? Is there anything I need to install? I'm not very computer savvy so I need pretty simple directions. Thank you!

I have a Gateway laptop, T-Series. Do you need model numbers, etc? Let me know what info would help and I'll look it up for you. Thanks you! :redface:

cds should work no matter what the windows is. I would believe that your drive has the filters confused in the registry so try to search how to erase the cd drive filters and restart your computer. That should reset the driver to its working position and it should be able to read the cds no matter whether they were recorded under XP or Windows 98.

Another Question - Can the CDs be read fine on another computer - maybe they are really distroyed - I would suggest try them on another machine first.

Back