Windows 8 wifi does not have a valid ip configuration..

i don't want to remove it because my phone is connected to the WiFi and i am using its tethering function ti use net on this lappy...
one sec let me send another one of the ip config...Here..
and this time i have checked and made sure ipv6 is switched off

Attachments

• ipconfig.txt
    2 KB · Views: 457
That certainly isn't reflected in the text file you attached to your previous post.
IF it is disabled now then could we please see a config file that reflects that?
AND
I'm not sure what this is
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device
But you might want to try disabling it.
If your primary concern is you wifi connection then narrowing the focus by eliminating extraneous devices like wired Ethernet might at least help to concentrate the diagnostics.
i have posted the ip config file in the previous reply..making sure that ipv6 box was unchecked..so now any other suggestions..?

Could you please open
Device Manager
Expand Network adapters
Right click the problem WiFi adapter and choose properties.
Select the Driver tab
AND
See if the option to "Roll Back Driver" is available"
If so, perhaps rolling back the driver for your wireless adapter might provide some relief.

As you can see from the results of you ipconfig.txt file, the OS is generating an APIPA (automatic private IP address) in the 169.254 range and that means that it is not receiving DHCP information from your phone which is (I presume) acting as your router in this instance.
I just performed a test with my Windows Phone 8.1 and my wife's wireless windows 7 machine upstairs which worked perfectly. I've attached an image of my ip results along side of yours for your inspection.

My guess is, that if this was working for you and has for some reason stopped working then perhaps Windows Update might have installed a driver for your wireless adapter that is less than optimal and rolling that back to the previous version might help.
That's my best guess.
You might also attempt to obtain the proper driver from your laptop manufacturer's website to see if that might help the problem.

Attachments

• IpCompare.PNG
    IpCompare.PNG
    66.3 KB · Views: 431
Could you please open
Device Manager
Expand Network adapters
Select the Driver tab
AND
If so, perhaps rolling back the driver for your wireless adapter might provide some relief.

As you can see from the results of you ipconfig.txt file, the OS is generating an APIPA (automatic private IP address) in the 169.254 range and that means that it is not receiving DHCP information from your phone which is (I presume) acting as your router in this instance.
I just performed a test with my Windows Phone 8.1 and my wife's wireless windows 7 machine upstairs which worked perfectly. I've attached an image of my ip results along side of yours for your inspection.

My guess is, that if this was working for you and has for some reason stopped working then perhaps Windows Update might have installed a driver for your wireless adapter that is less than optimal and rolling that back to the previous version might help.
That's my best guess.
You might also attempt to obtain the proper driver from your laptop manufacturer's website to see if that might help the problem.
Could you please open
Device Manager
Expand Network adapters
Select the Driver tab
AND

That's my best guess.
I tried that and also I have connected to the internet by using wired tethering feature of my phone..my phone is connected to my Wi-Fi hotspot and my laptop is connected to my phone and is using its internet...How u understand now..please reply

Yes I understand..... that you seem to have a number of cascading connections.
Why not just use the same WiFi hotspot that you are using for your phone to support your laptop? Usually such devices support multiple connections at least five (5) or more.

The basic problem is still the same.... No proper DHCP source that is providing the correct IP addressing including a default gateway and DNS server addresses.... No Internet Connection.

I am trying to use that same hotspot and me not getting an ip is the reason I am here on this thread seeking for help..so any suggestions..thanks for trying to find the answer

I cannot speak for cellular hotspot devices globally as I only have some limited experience with the ones provided by Verizon.
I know that they occasionally have software updates as well as firmware updates to support upgrades and changes in the provider's network.
Have you had any communication with the device's provider? Have you checked on their forums to see if there is any other people having similar problems with your specific device?

There is a small chance that some third party software / internet security suites / third party firewall products, network management software, various desktop sharing / collaboration software (LogMeIn, GoToAssist, etc.,) might be impacting your ability to get this working again, so.....
If you've installed any of those lately, or had any of them update themselves to new versions then you might check there.

I have only rudimentary skills as a technician and none what so ever as a magician. I cannot make something that I cannot see or touch work. I can only provide ideas and suggestions based on some clever and sometimes not so clever guessing.

Your replies of "I've already done that" and "I've tried that already too" leads me to believe that I don't have any more tricks that you haven't "already tried".

I cannot speak for cellular hotspot devices globally as I only have some limited experience with the ones provided by Verizon.
I know that they occasionally have software updates as well as firmware updates to support upgrades and changes in the provider's network.
Have you had any communication with the device's provider? Have you checked on their forums to see if there is any other people having similar problems with your specific device?

There is a small chance that some third party software / internet security suites / third party firewall products, network management software, various desktop sharing / collaboration software (LogMeIn, GoToAssist, etc.,) might be impacting your ability to get this working again, so.....
If you've installed any of those lately, or had any of them update themselves to new versions then you might check there.

I have only rudimentary skills as a technician and none what so ever as a magician. I cannot make something that I cannot see or touch work. I can only provide ideas and suggestions based on some clever and sometimes not so clever guessing.

Your replies of "I've already done that" and "I've tried that already too" leads me to believe that I don't have any more tricks that you haven't "already tried".
Sorry if I have offended u in anyway but all I am saying is that I have tried almost everything on this forum regarding my problem..also I am not trying to connect to a cellular hotspot..my problem is with my Wi-Fi router every other device is connected to it and is using internet except my laptop..thanks again for dealing with the problem also I have completely 're installed the os on my laptop and have nothing on my laptop except for the normal stuff

You haven't offended me or anyone as far as I can tell.
What WiFi router do you have, Manufacturer name, model name, model number, firmware revision number?
Have you tried changing the wifi channel on the router?
Have you tried changing the security / encryption on the router?
Have you tried running it open (no security) for a short test?
Have you made sure that the router is in the proper mode b, g, n, ac) or a combination that your laptop's wireless card supports?
Can you see the wireless SSID broadcast from the router?
Are you prompted for a wifi key/password/pass phrase?

my phone is connected to my Wi-Fi hotspot and my laptop is connected to my phone and is using its internet

I am trying to use that same hotspot and me not getting an ip is the reason I am here on this thread seeking for help..so any suggestions..thanks for trying to find the answer

I am not trying to connect to a cellular hotspot..my problem is with my Wi-Fi router
Hence my confusion.
Can we assume that you are using the term "Wi-Fi hotspot" synonymously with Wi-Fi Router (meaning Wireless Router)?

You haven't offended me or anyone as far as I can tell.
What WiFi router do you have, Manufacturer name, model name, model number, firmware revision number?
Have you tried changing the wifi channel on the router?
Have you tried changing the security / encryption on the router?
Have you tried running it open (no security) for a short test?
Have you made sure that the router is in the proper mode b, g, n, ac) or a combination that your laptop's wireless card supports?
Can you see the wireless SSID broadcast from the router?
Are you prompted for a wifi key/password/pass phrase?
It is linksys router and I don't know much but I can find it out if you want..I didn't trychanging channels..i tried changing security encryption but I didn't try on open security for obvious reasons..and I know that the router supports my card because I have connected my laptop to the router before as u can see if u read the beginning posts..

Back