Windows 10 WIFI signal drop (dual system 2.5Ghz & 5 Ghz)

ragnarok1968

this is an odd one, I'm thinking initially that at some times during the day, I can have up to 10 devices connected, wife, kids, wireless printer, android tablets, iphone, 2 windows phones and 5 total laptops though, not connected all at once. Also an Xboxone, an Xbox 360 which are seldom on. my router, is from my internet provider which is a Netgear WNDR4300 router from the modem.

But I'll retire to my living room and with the 5Ghz connection, it will drop which, I'll then revert to the 2.5Ghz connection which will drop again and I'll just revert back and forth.I live in a 4 bedroom apartment so wiring in ethernet cables would never fly with the office UNLESS I probably agree to leave the cabling in. But WIFI seems at this point the most convenient for everyone concerned

is it possible that the router drops connections to relieve itself? everyone wants their internet, perhaps I'm going to have to seriously reduce the load on the router, no smartphones, my daughter, I almost forgot has an Xbox 360 in her room which also, though she doesn't use it often, uses the WIFI.

It's a zoo over here. this is how I feel most of the time.. rolling down the hill with no end in sight
T2rIZAmxm8A80.gif

to clarify: I have at the most, 10 devices connected(at any one time.). I don't think my printer puts much workload on the network. But 4 laptops sure can. I've thought about getting one of those more expensive routers for gaming that are meant to manhandle and stroke through a lot of workload. any suggestions?

A wireless router won't drop devices it can handle more than what you have on it. You could experience a drop in performance as more devices are added. The 5 GHz bands have a lower range than the 2.4GHz band, so you're probably dropping to the 2.4GHz due to range or the 5GHz signal is to weak. This could be due to the signal being absorbed, deflected etc

A wireless router won't drop devices it can handle more than what you have on it. You could experience a drop in performance as more devices are added. The 5 GHz bands have a lower range than the 2.4GHz band, so you're probably dropping to the 2.4GHz due to range or the 5GHz signal is to weak. This could be due to the signal being absorbed, deflected etc
Thanks.. now I'm not concerned. I have learned since there's one wall between my bedroom and the router, I do experience a slight signal drop. I use the 5Ghz as well as my wife since it has better performance. thanks Neemobeer!

I've been researching this issue and it appears to be a Windows 10 issue that MSFT hasn't addressed. my daughters tell me our third Windows 10 system drops its WIFI too. for no explained reason. I simply lose the signal and then switch back and forth from 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. which ever I'm not on. like just 20-30 minutes ago, my wife and I sitting in our bedroom and she asked if I lost my internet connection. Wow, I looked in my notification area and yep, lost my 2.4Ghz connection and immediately switched to 5Ghz.

will MSFT EVER address the WIFI issues? I've used WIFI since Vista and I've only had WIFI issues on Windows 10. I'm not bashing Windows 10 but rather eyeing that there may be an issue, an honest issue here.

I don't think this is a Microsoft issue. The 2.4 band is susceptible to interference from a lot of other technologies the most common being cordless phones and microwaves which also emit energy on the 2.4 band. There are a lot less channels on the 2.4Ghz frequency which competing SSID will cause interference. The wave length is also twice the size of 5Ghz and tends to have more of the signal absorbed, reflected, refracted and distorted then the 5Ghz band

I don't think this is a Microsoft issue. The 2.4 band is susceptible to interference from a lot of other technologies the most common being cordless phones and microwaves which also emit energy on the 2.4 band. There are a lot less channels on the 2.4Ghz frequency which competing SSID will cause interference. The wave length is also twice the size of 5Ghz and tends to have more of the signal absorbed, reflected, refracted and distorted then the 5Ghz band
Ok. I just reinstalled Windows 10 and still having the same WIFI drop issues. I'll continue to do the research, I'll write a report of my findings, it'll be objective and then report back here.
-Chris

P.S. Found this Article -> Windows 10 is dropping WiFi connections, with no fix from Microsoft yet | TheINQUIRER

Last edited:
Ok, I've made the upgrade to Windows 10pro for $99 through the windows store. now. I have come across what "might" be the solution.

ok, as of right now, sitting in my recliner, I'm about 6 feet away from my router. -so-

I am realizing that, when I updated my windows to build 14393.693, these WIFI drops started (this install). I decided to start fresh and NOT go with insider builds as I'm tired of reinstalling Windows 10.

But I can confirm that when I updated to build 14393.693 NOT 14393.726 most should be on, I started having WIFI drops issues.

I went into device manager and disabled the power management feature in each of my network adapters, Killer network wireless and killer network 1435 ethernet respectively.

Hi Ragnarok,
Yeah, I see a lot of this on my own home Wi-Fi network. I have one Customer who has 27 Wi-Fi connected devices to his $300 top-of-the line Netgear Nighthawk router I bought for him. He has a 6100 sq.ft. 3-story home; so I know those challenges better than you do.

This includes only 1 full-time W10 desktop PC (wireless), a bunch of macbooks, ipads, iphones, and other stuff his family and guests use including Android phones/tablets/laptops, which several have older versions of windows 7/8x. And he has a multi-floor entertainment system all state-of-the-art with Sonos speakers throughout the home on all 3 floors and the garage, gym, pool room, etc. etc.

Some things you might look at, are that if you are doing multiple versions of Windows; to make sure you use Homegroups. Without it you get lots of quirky network things I won't go into here, but as neem intimated those have little to do with Microsoft issues. Rather, there are lots of us old school techs who refuse to use Homegroups, and want to do everything from the command line or file explorer in their network setups. This is silly IMO. If there are easier ways, and MS is putting it out there, especially in new versions of W10, why not use it? The answer is, there are still people out there trying to run home networks with things like W95 or even WFW3.11 and they have a cobbled-together mess with lots of outdated OSes as well as hardware older than 10 years old that drives new OSes like W10 nuts because the drivers were end-of-lifed 10, 15, 20 years ago and they refuse to accept it. Hopefully, you are not one of these people. o_O

First, make a physical survey of all your Wi-Fi connected devices for you and your family members who live in your home. Smartphones, Xbox360, TVs, desktops, laptops, smartphones (both Android and iPhone) and any other devices that EVER use your Router for Internet access. You need to make sure that each and every one of them is using 802.11n or 802.11ac. If any are not using those chips or cards; chances are they are hindering the class-b node from circulating around your LAN network. If you don't know what this is, don't worry, none but the best trained expert network engineers know about it. It's been very well documented for several years, yet people ignore it or don't know how to find out what wireless spec each of their devices use. This is really really important.

Second, you should download the Wi-Fi analytics program onto a laptop/tablet/smartphone you have and wander throughout your home and check your signal strength in both dbm and signal strength percentage. It helps to draw a picture of your home on a scratch pad and mark locations with device names/types on it and their signal strength. This is a poor-man's network diagram for Wi-Fi only. This will assist you in solving your problem. If you haven't done this, you are using haphazard methodology, which is not how we licensed network engineers do things. If you don't want to pay a pro like me $500-$1,000 to come out to your place and do it, and you want to DIY; consider doing this. It will really illuminate your problem(s) like you wouldn't believe!!:teeth:

Last, if you have any spots in your home that are not getting 60% signal strength or a minimum of -70dbm or better; you have gaps in your radio coverage from your Wi-Fi router and you have 2 choices. First it to get a stronger router, with a better radio signal and range as you already have surmised. Second, if that's not an option, you'll need to purchase high-quality range extenders to cover those weak spots in your home (due to building materials using base metals such as lead, aluminum, steel, etc.) and things like fire-walls. These are radio signal killers and if you have that kind of construction; especially if your home is over 50 years old; you will need a stronger router or range extenders or possibly both to solve your problems.:andwhat:

An example of a high-quality Range extender I use in my home and my Customer's homes is here: Amazon.com: NETGEAR N600 WiFi Range Extender (WN3500RP): Computers & Accessories

These can go up to $150 each or higher; some are $400 each, so that's why it's important to do the above surveys and research all your devices wireless capabilities EXACTLY. And another reason we charge so much to fix these kinds of problems in peoples homes or small office businesses.

Can't say this will fix everything, but if you don't have a network diagram of your home wireless setup, you will never solve these intermittent problems and can just continue blaming Microsoft for a poorly devised home network forever.:skull::alien:

Try some of these things, and hopefully you'll get some improvements. Maybe Windows11 will be better unless MS skips straight to Windows21 or something.:rofl:

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>:D

Ok I have Windows 10 Pro now and more tools to do network administration. So should I create a simple workgroup is what I'm gathering?

thanks brother. I'll get back to you and see if this helps

@BIGBEARJEDI , do you think an extender would help even though my apartment is 1,245 square feet 4 bedrooms. I'll see what I can do on a disabled veterans pension. It's a lot in basic terms but definitely below the cost of living. But I REALLY appreciate the info

Back