Windows Vista WiFi - wierd behaviour

Brian Grimwade

I have been running a Sony laptop with home Wifi for approx 4 months with no problems then hassles!
The system tray icon says no wifi is available - the "Connect to Network" tag says I can connect to my home network but not to the internet - Diagnostics says that there is a problem and plug in a network cable to resolve the issue - cabled wifi?!
And the system is fully operational - is this computer schizophrenia or am I missing something basic
Strange?
Any one give some advice! Thanks

I have been running a Sony laptop with home Wifi for approx 4 months with no problems then hassles!
The system tray icon says no wifi is available - the "Connect to Network" tag says I can connect to my home network but not to the internet - Diagnostics says that there is a problem and plug in a network cable to resolve the issue - cabled wifi?!
And the system is fully operational - is this computer schizophrenia or am I missing something basic
Strange?
Any one give some advice! Thanks

First off did you do anything that upset your Wireless card on the laptop like updates ?
or did you change any settings on your wireless router ?

Nothing - turned the machine on - it did not connect to the WiFi - turned router off then on to reset it - not unusual- still no connection - turned computer off then on and apparently still no connection but the other computers showed it available so I tried firefox and it was working - thats when I started going through the reviews

Internet explorer in windows vista is quite strange and it does not work as i have come across many case where the IE does not work at all........ how ever in these seniarios the windows updates plays a major role as those update get downloaded ....

in these case do a system recovery that is restoring the computer to the factory settings and then disabling the windows update so that you do not face such issue in your future...

Back