Windows 10 Will Microsoft's plans for Windows update be an issue?

Will Microsoft's plans for Windows update be an issue?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
As I see it, this is as bigger mistake from MS, as was the absence of the start menu in Windows 8. I would suggest the majority of frequent users are deep into games and "one-off" third party utilities. It is an established fact that such software can be crippled by the wrong application of an "unauthorised" update. A definite black mark for windows 10.

I think that for the vast majority of users who know nothing of 'updates' or even the concept this will be a boon unless we get the nightmare scenario of a nasty buggy update that cannot be stopped.
It's the power users who like to fuss over what get's installed on their often custom built machines that will be most upset by this. Microsoft should allow a setting tucked away somewhere so that those who want to have the old style of Windows update can do so. Once again they have removed 'choice' from the equation and whenever that happens it's never a good thing. I'm thinking of the debacle concerning the Start menu where choice was again removed from the end user.

I'm OK with auto updates. I run all my systems (personal and the machines in my test lab at work) with auto updates turned on. Have run that way for years without issue.

So yesterday I'm fitting a new PSU (Seasonic M12 Evo 750W) and testing the machine after I notice the screen flicker and for a few brief moments I thought there was an issue with the PCIE/Graphics... No it was just Bloody Microsoft installing a freaking graphics driver update even though I'd changed settings to specifically stop Windows update from installing drivers. To say i'm angry about this is putting it lightly and I only hope that they come to their collective senses and do something about it.

Microsoft to Windows 10 consumers: You'll get updates LIKE IT or NOT
Licensing agreement says 'receive automatic downloads without additional notice'
16 Jul 2015 at 09:33, Tim Anderson

Microsoft's licensing on the upcoming Windows 10 OS means that most users will find their systems updating on command from Redmond without any option to stop this.

The Licensing Agreement for Windows 10, as found in the latest release candidate build 10240 of Windows 10 Professional, stated:

The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.

You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.

By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Microsoft's intention is that users will be always up-to-date, not only with security patches, but also with feature updates.

This makes it easier for the company to keep pace with changing technology, and provides developers with a more consistent target for applications.

The downside is that feature upgrades can potentially break applications, or drivers for peripherals such as printers and scanners. Those who value stability above having the latest features may prefer to install security updates only.

Windows 10 does allow this, but only for businesses running the Enterprise Edition of Windows. These customers can opt for the Long Term Service Branch (LTSB), which is updated only every 2-3 years (just like traditional Windows releases).

These LTSB releases are supported for up to 10 years.

Other customers will be either on Current Branch (the only option for Windows Home) or Current Branch for Business (CBB), available if you have a version of Windows Professional or Enterprise.

Businesses with Windows 10 Professional can manage updates to some extent. Microsoft has a new tool, Windows Update for Business, which lets you group machines to be updated into distribution rings, so that more critical systems can be updated later, and specify exactly when updates take place by defining maintenance windows.

It appears though that these tools do not allow updates for Windows 10 Professional to be deferred indefinitely.

"Customers who are embracing Current Branch for Business do need to consume that feature update within the allotted time period of approximately eight months or they will not be able to see and consume the next security update," ...

... said Helen Harmetz, Micosoft Senior Product Marketing Manager, in a partner training video earlier this year.

LTSB the underminer
In other words, if you bar feature updates, eventually you also bar security updates, putting PCs at higher risk of compromise.

Those who opt for Windows Enterprise and LTSB do not suffer this restriction.

The downside in this case is that unless you purchase it with Software Assurance (SA), a subscription element that adds extended support, and keep that current, then there is no automatic right to upgrade to the next LTSB edition when it comes along.
win10upgrade.jpg

Barring feature updates means you bar security updates, putting PCs at higher risk

You would have to purchase it again, just like traditional Windows upgrades.

The existence of LTSB, and the restrictions placed upon it, undermine the argument that Windows 10 will be a more consistent development target, for those developers selling business applications.

This may be why Microsoft recommends it only for the most critical systems.

As for home users, it looks as if Microsoft is providing the more cautious among them with a good reason to stick with Windows 7 or 8.

ref:
Microsoft to Windows 10 consumers: You'll get updates LIKE IT or NOT

What's wrong with this screenshot?
twats.jpg

Proof that the 'Do not install drivers' setting is bullshit.

I was reading something similar in another forum.

I think the problem with the posted suggestion is that the update service will see that a later driver is needed, and download and install it again - this, particularly, between successive builds.
This also applies to the MS link posted on that page. Sometimes it will hide and retain the setting, often it will try and download it again.
The *.cab file which is suggested, does give you the opportunity to use the lost feature from previous OSs, to "Hide" an update. I have no idea if it works in the later builds though, as the few updates I have, are useful. It opens the registry and modifies a key, and then resets the key to default.

But, having said that, I have had not the slightest indication of a problem with Windows 10 updates - but, a few years ahead yet!!
:

The security updates are fine. It the downloading of unwanted drivers that for me at least is an issue. Even if one changes settings to stop windows update to download drivers it simply ignores them and goes ahead anyway. I cannot test the download I posted as I'm now back on 8.1 because of exactly this issue. A driver was installed by windows update that i didn't want. I removed it and in doing so screwed the registry. I didn't really try too hard to re-install 10240 because I simply didn't want to go through the same awful process again of battling Microsoft as to which drivers are on my system.

I am trending toward the same option.
I have 240 on, to see how it works. After this month I have decided to drop out of the insider option and just upgrade my machines from 8.1. On one, I will certainly keep Windows 8.1, without the upgrade, for a long time yet.

Agreed.. I must admit that despite 8.1's lack of 'pretty' it still felt quite nice knowing that it was going to do what I wanted and not the other way round.

I have to say, Ross, and I spit in the face of the pundits, I have been very busy with Windows 10. Now I have been using Windows 8.1 for about three days and am very comfortable with it.

Agreed.. I must admit that despite 8.1's lack of 'pretty' it still felt quite nice knowing that it was going to do what I wanted and not the other way round.

I still feel like Microsoft was heading in the wrong direction with Windows with the "Start Screen" nonsense and probably always will. It was definitely, and still is, a disincentive, for most people who casually browse for an OS to use or buy this. If the automatic update process in Windows 10 is sound, and actually results in stable kernel-level updates, without a prolonged upgrade process, without cost, for at least awhile, I will find this to be great. But if ever the update process starts to annoy me or install advertisements for bloatware, I am done with it. I will block Microsoft Windows Update servers in my hosts file, if necessary, as I imagine many would. My thought is if they're having problems selling software because it comes in a bundle that is $200-500 dollars, putting it online, and not in a box, is not going to help them. If that is what this is all about. But it could be used for good, maybe.

As far as a massive amount of computers upgrading from Windows 7 and Windows 8 for free in a few days, in some massive "click here to upgade" extravaganza, unless that upgrade process is rock solid, I cannot see how this will go well at all.

Reactions: OTT
I think for your average home user that's ignorant in maintaining their computers the forced upgrades are a good thing. No doubt there will be a few updates that are duds but overall it's good from a security prospective.

For power users, geeks, etc forced updates just make you feel like you have even less control over your system which I don't like.

I have to say one of these driver updates kind of saved me - touchpad on laptop. But I am on the same boat, I do not want this to download drivers for me. I believe that this is a bug and it should be fixed. Security updates and patches I don't mind download and update.

Back