Will You Upgrade to Windows 8?

Title question has become a might old for many, Folks. Not only went to Windows 8 ages ago but, we are now running Windows 8.1.... Hello, try to keep up, (w/ the times) LOL :chuncky:

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

I upgraded to 8.1 thinking it would make it better, and boy was I wrong. Sure, the start button is back, but all it does is bring you to the tile window. That is what the windows button on the keyboard does... I installed an aftermarket program that gives you the classic start button.

Finally, 8.1 has decided to screw with my wifi as well. I have to do a restart any time I shut down or go into sleep mode, because for some reason it disables my wifi every time. Restarting is the only way to get it to come back. And NO ONE has been able to fix it.

I upgraded to 8.1 thinking it would make it better, and boy was I wrong. Sure, the start button is back, but all it does is bring you to the tile window. That is what the windows button on the keyboard does... I installed an aftermarket program that gives you the classic start button.

Finally, 8.1 has decided to screw with my wifi as well. I have to do a restart any time I shut down or go into sleep mode, because for some reason it disables my wifi every time. Restarting is the only way to get it to come back. And NO ONE has been able to fix it.

Windows 8.1 IS "better" than 8.0 in many ways. Yes, the so-called Start button is the same as the Windows key; except in Windows 8.1 it can > the ALL Applications screen, instead of Start. IF your point is, that for some reason, you feel "the Tile window" to be a bad thing, you do not have to use it, BTW. There are 2 other choices. (1) use the ALL Applications screen instead or (2) have an Applications folder/window on the Desktop Taskbar & never leave Desktop to access anything.

There is some other reason you are having Wi-Fi troubles. Moving from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 doesn't/can't account for it. Check router firmware or other things separate & apart for the OS. Hard to say when not hands-on. You might try enquiring w/ your IP or the router's Help Desk.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

I've tried to use W8 and I should say that it's not that bad. Needs a little bit of learning but quite nice. Anyways, W7 felt more convenient

Always happy, glad to assist w/ that bit of learning. Might save you some time discovering some things. Offer is always extended... to you & other, certainly. Actually, comparatively, there is more, you will find, convenience in Windows 8.1 than 7; it's not only easier, it's faster. One convenience you would like is having an (ALL) Applications window on the taskbar... never need change screens (for anything). Its "How To" is in this forum, if you or anyone is interested... I & my clients love it :)

Much of the virtues of this current OS, one only reaps the rewards in practice/in (daily) usage but, from under the covers. That is where the point of appreciation belongs... it's a good OS, that works & performs well on multiple devices due to some fine technologies that oft are missed by peoples attention, awareness or respect.

A lot, unnecessary as I may feel it is, can heard about UIs. One can deal w/ a UI, deep down it's just using a computer (still). But, there are far more important fundamentals that contribute to a rather decent product.

And, no, I don't work for MS. Just an IT Pro who recognises an ok thing when it's there.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:

I also thought that Windows-8 was off base... Windows-7 was the first really good Windows-OS, since Windows-2000-pro... my opinion..:)

Bought myself a Acer V5-472-6893 laptop (i5 chip, 8gigs ram, 500gig 7200rpm drive), just three days ago at Bestbuy. It has Windows-8-64bit on it. When I bought it, my intentions was to wipe Win8 and put a spare copy of Win7 on it.

Got it home. Sat down at my tower (Win7 on it). Checked out software to give me start button and menu. Some made Win8 look 98% like Win7. But I thought, I have Win8 on here, not Win7. So I settled for.. Reviver http://www.reviversoft.com/start-menu-reviver/ . Start button and menu, and quite tweak-able, but still with some Win8 feel to it.

I installed all the programs I wanted on this laptop, that I took from my Win7 tower. I'm finding Windows-8 not that hard to get used to.

"I'm finding Windows-8 not that hard to get used to."

We hear this countless times because it's the truth of it. Indeed, it is not hard to be comfortable w/ Win8.1 ...and that is w/out adding any unneeded 3rd party start stuff to try to make it look or act like a different OS that it's not.

There are some good 'tips' for using Win8.1 easily that don't involve adding 3rd party software.

Everyone I have worked w/, after briefly using the OS, they like it. The more it's used, the more it gets appreciated for all it is.

I recently took a client's machine from 7 to 8.1. He's a gamer and says the gaming experience on 8 is vastly superior to what it was on 7.

Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Most definitely not! It's not because it doesn't work good, or because of the hard UI, or the hidden Control Panel settings, it because it's UGLY! Man, it's ugly!!! Windows 7 was a jewelry of software, working good, magnificent design with the glass like UI and the lovely animations. I really like it! But then comes W8, with solid colors, tiles, squares ugly fonts, ugly buttons, lack of Start menu, all the settings hidden , you had to guess with the mouse in witch area to point your mouse to appear the settings menu, then you had the ugly ribbon with all the unnecessary tools in Explorer. What the f**k ? Guys ,really? how many employees Microsoft have ? 60.000 - 70.000, 100.000 ? That's the best you can come up with? And what about you Mr. Gates? Were you blind when they built it? When you started Microsoft, 30 something years ago, was this what you imagined then? 'Cause let me tell you, if you did, you got to work on your visions system buddy! Build the next Windows to be the most beautiful piece of software in existence and everyone will buy it. I worked in retail while, and this is what i learned: "You can sell a frozen sh*t , if it's nicely packaged , has a golden loop, a price tag the size of China, and you sell it like it's the only thing besides air a person needs."
That's how Apple does it, that's how Jobs did it, and that's how you should do it too.

Because people don't really care about the thousands of hours you spent coding it, designing it or advertising it. The fact of the matter is that is ugly, hard to work with and unnecessary. When you'll learn this, Bing, Maps and all your other products will be profitable also. Because Google knows one thing. If it's not good looking, it doesn't sell. Apple knows another, if it's not good looking, expensive and "magical" it doesn't sell. Find your own formula. Today, now !

Microsoft are planning to move away from the Windows 8 look as well as almost anything else implemented under Steve Balmers tenure. Plans for windows 9, especially for desktop users, is to return to something like Windows 7 with a start menu toboot..

Sorry for not coming around more than what I do.

I used to be one of the most serious people of staying with Windows-7. Then I bought a 700.00 laptop with Windows-8. After about a week, I saw some good about the OS.

Just put Windows 8.1 onto my MAIN tower. My rocker MAIN tower is my secure place. I run 2 1920x1080 screens... 3840x1080 res.

When I put all the programs I want to run in the "pin to taskbar"..... why do I need a start menu..

Attachments

• Windows-8.1-desktop, 3840x1080.jpg
    Windows-8.1-desktop, 3840x1080.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Windows-8.1-desktop, all-apps, 3840x1080.jpg
    Windows-8.1-desktop, all-apps, 3840x1080.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 421
I'm still representing the stubborn old fashioned school: newspapers have been just about the same for ages, there was no problem. And phones were attached to the wall with a wire. Now, suddenly, mankind needs to get new phones quarterly, and unless you're connected all the time, you're considered obsolete - I do not accept this. Go and bingo if you want to, but not doing so doesn't make one less a person. In this case, value of man is absolute, not dependent.

Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rollingstones/letsspendthenighttogether.html

Last edited:
Sorry for not coming around more than what I do.

I used to be one of the most serious people of staying with Windows-7. Then I bought a 700.00 laptop with Windows-8. After about a week, I saw some good about the OS.

Just put Windows 8.1 onto my MAIN tower. My rocker MAIN tower is my secure place. I run 2 1920x1080 screens... 3840x1080 res.

When I put all the programs I want to run in the "pin to taskbar"..... why do I need a start menu..

Personally I love using windows 8.1 and do not lament the loss of a start menu. I don't use the tablet features a great deal but then again why would I? I'm a desktop user.. I should add that I install 8.1 using a proper iso file and do not upgrade from Windows 8.
Upgrades are a pain and never seem to work properly. Microsoft should have sorted this particular bug-bear a while ago and made access to a 8.1 iso far easier for legit customers.

Windows 8.1 is compatible to just about any software that you’re already running on your older Windows systems. It is also more secure than windows 7. I have to keep up with the times and 8.1 gives new options, for example you can set up live tiles to display current news and weather, or social network status updates.

Windows 8.1 get my vote.

I sold that nice laptop for cheap to a cousin of mine who pastor's a small church. Doesn't get a big salary.

Bought Windows 8.1 o.e.m. for 99.00, and put it on my main computer... the Tower...... Well it went well. No after-market start menu this time.

Still best to make the pagefile one hefty size only, on a another drive if possible. That alone will speed up the system, regardless which which version of Windows you have.

Back