Windows 10 Win 10 blocking?

DebbieC

I have two independent software programs that allow me to email out information within them using my SMTP settings from my personal email. One of these programs worked fine on previous versions of Windows (the second program was installed after I switched to Win 10) but since switching to Win 10, I can no longer use this email function from within the programs. My regular email through my browser works fine, it's just within the programs that it doesn't. I'm thinking that since these are two unrelated software programs with seemingly the same issue, one working fine on previous Win versions, that perhaps somehow Win 10 is blocking this function? Could there be like a firewall issue or ??? I'm clueless! :confused_smile:

Doubtful, it's more likely the program isn't supported in Windows 10 have you verified the version you have is compatible?

Well, both programs are sold as Win 10 compatible. They both run fine with the exception of the one thing, emailing. The error message I get is: "The specified SMTP host cannot be found. Please check that your anti-virus or firewall is not blocking emails on the specified port." But, the SMTP settings are the same ones I use in my browser email program so that doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect a typo then, or I suppose it could be the firewall. Windows does allow for application specific firewall rules so if the second program isn't allowed you'd need to create a rule.

In terms of the SMTP details, no typos, both programs have the same details as my primary email SMTP and both programs give the same error message when I try to email through them. It just seems odd that I'd have no problem with my regular email but I am with these two programs. And, the fact I'm using the same exact program for one of them, including settings, under Win 10 that I was using under 7 and the email did work with 7. That's why I thought maybe it was something in 10 that is causing the upset. Oh, and one of the programs has an App for cell phones and the email on that one allows me to email out (the other doesn't have a cell phone App). Unfortunately there's no forum like this one for either software program nor support that responds to inquiries. It's not the end of the world, the programs work otherwise, it's just inconvenient and annoying.

Well email through your browser isn't using any email protocol it's over https. What firewall are you using?

Go into Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall > Advanced Settings Look at the profile that says 'is Active' next to it, Verify that "Outbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed"

Okay, hopefully I did this right! Public Profile is active and the "Outbound Connections that do not match a rule" is already checked (in green).

Go to the outbound rules and verify there are no block (action) rules your email uses

Neemobeer, I fixed it, I fixed it!!! I went back to the program where the email used to work. Supposedly there were 2 port options for the SMTP and I had tried both of them. Then I saw elsewhere that SOMETIMES a third port works. I changed it to that port and success...on both programs!!! Thank you so much for hanging in there with me. It is a little strange that they use a different port from my regular email setup but whatever, it works!

Back
Top Bottom