Windows 10 Win 10 Is Stuck At "Searching for Updates"

I have a HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF with WIN 7 Pro 64-bit operation system OEM installed, and SP1 and windows activated. For the life of me I cannot get it to upgrade to WIN 10 Pro. It downloaded the WIN 10 and went through it's cycle till it came to "searching for updates" and it has been searching for updates for 29 hours. I would guess there's no more updates to be found or to be installed before this Microsoft WIN 10. aka pile of crap will never get installed on this PC.

Surely, there is a solution to the problem, but, Microsoft left their upgrade desk and went out partying and drinking for the past 10 months.

You might also run the free MICROSOFT COMPATIBILITY TEST prior to attempting your upgrade again. It's built-in to all W10 installs. If you fail to see it or missed it, you can download it and run it standalone on your PC to see if it's got driver or app issues that would keep it from performing the W10 update properly. You can get that here:
Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

Be aware that there are hardware limitations to running the W10 OS. Specifically, if your PC was built before 2005 it will NOT work with W10 due to issues missing in the CPUs that old. One of our volunteers has reported running on a PC with a 2004 BIOS; but I cannot reproduce that on any machines I personally own. This doesn't appear to be your problem, since your machine came with Win7 it was sold in 2009, but may have a BIOS date of 2008. This could be a problem if you bought that machine prior to Aug.2009 and it was an early release machine. Microsoft officially supports W10 upgrades from all W7x and W8x OSes. HOWEVER, on Vista era machines as well as XP machines, some early release W7 machines (c.2008) have not been able to run W10 via upgrade.

But, you can do a Clean Install on them, and get them running that way, and bypass the upgrade process altogether. I've had to do this on a couple of machines here in order to run W10. The COMPATIBILITY TEST will help you with this, as it's an indicator that your hardware may be too old to run the Upgrade tool. If that's the case, you can attempt the W10 Clean Install. If this fails, you can probably figure that machine will never run W10 no matter what.:cry_smile:
Here's the link for the W10 Clean Install: Windows 10
Scroll down the page to "PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALLATION USING A USB OR DVD". This section covers the Clean Install as well as gives you the MCT tool to grab the ISO file needed.

The problem of some early Win7 machines not running the upgrade to W10 is not that well known yet, and usually only W10 Insider Testers such as myself and some of the other folks here have been through it. Microsoft may be able to help you via the Upgrade path; but it's a $39-$149 phone call to do so. Some of our Users here have had success doing a 2-step upgrade; that is from W7-->W8.1x and then W8.1x-->W10; but this requires you to have or purchase a W8.1x license. I suggest trying holdum's idea and my suggestions above and see if you can get it to work!

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Glad that worked for you!:D I've seen that particular fix before. What often happens is that even though you stop that Service from running during your session, once you're computer has been off for a period of time, let's say over a weekend when you are gone, it will often come back.:eek: Should that happen, there is a more detailed fix that keeps the Service from restarting by itself. Post back if that does occur, and we'll look for that link for you. Also, this often happens after the weekly Tuesday update push from Microsoft. And, if you completely disable updates from being downloaded, this can cause other problems including the opening of security holes in your Windows which lets many viruses and spyware into your system even if you are running a good antivirus.

<<<BBJ>>>

I have a HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF with WIN 7 Pro 64-bit operation system OEM installed, and SP1 and windows activated. For the life of me I cannot get it to upgrade to WIN 10 Pro. It downloaded the WIN 10 and went through it's cycle till it came to "searching for updates" and it has been searching for updates for 29 hours. I would guess there's no more updates to be found or to be installed before this Microsoft WIN 10. aka pile of crap will never get installed on this PC.

Surely, there is a solution to the problem, but, Microsoft left their upgrade desk and went out partying and drinking for the past 10 months.
Restart computer. Don't go for installing win10 when it restarts .Download win10 ISO file first to computer and see where it is.Your last attempt for win10will have stopped now you restarted your computer .Now use the ISO file you just downloaded.Firstly,download Power2Go Open it and click on CD and go to where you downloaded your Win10 ISO file.Right click on the Win10 file Click mount image and a CD type install will appear in your computer.Go to Computer Open and you will see the file looking like a CD picture.Right click. INSTALL MEDIA.Win10 will download.Set your updates later.EASY.Uninstall Power2Gowhen you finished.You might have an extra app alongside Poer2Go just uninstall it comes with the download.

Back