Win 11 Start menu options

tbernstein

Extraordinary Member
I've heard that organising the Start menu in 11 is not possible. (It became pretty convoluted in 10).
Is this true?
I like ( or even need) to organise programme links, grouped according to purpose ( graphics, Office, internet, etc,) because I have lots of useful little programmes, many of which I only use occasionally, and most of which have unhelpful names, so that I'd never remember what to look for to do a given job if it wasn't in a handy start menu folder dedicated to that kind of work (e.g. Openshot in a folder called video, Balbolka in the one called office, wherein also lie MSOffice and Libre Office, SimpleOCR and others ). And for the same reason I want to be able to remove the clutter that software publishers often add for no good reason - like those start menu folders of their own, named for their company which may have no relevance to identifying the name or function of the programme inside.
I don't mind digging into \users\username\start menu if that's available. I even have links on the desktop currently to take me to (both of) the locations.
But if I can't do this then 11 isn't coming on to my PC. It really is a deal breaker.
So. What's the score? Will I have control of my own Start menu or not? - It's also a matter of principle, I realise now as I come to write this.

Mrdavie

I believe Windows 10 had a great start up menu, utilizing tiles in which you could group your applications by subject matter, as you are describing. You will not have control over the Windows 11 start menu except to arrange the apps in any order, but without regard to subject matter. And, you will quickly discover that a second screen will be required if you place more than about 18 apps in start.

tbernstein

Extraordinary Member
In which case 11 is not coming anywhere near my PC.
10's Start menu has its faults - needing some fussy procedures to whip the menu into shape, but at least it can be done. The idea of it being totally disorganised other than according to the alphabetic order of random, often irrelevant names and pointless publishers' folders of names just makes me shudder. And I'm pretty tolerant of disorder when it doesn't get in the way of efficent working. But the whole point of a computer; and an OS on the computer, is to make working easier and more efficient - not to create extra obstacles. And I neither have the time and patience to deal with it, nor the willingness to have my life made more difficult to suit the whim of some designer with more time than brain.