Windows 7 win 7 and readyboost

yeah, Windows 7 allows multiple memory cards and flash cards to work as READYBOOST. Currently, I have a 4GB Flash Stick and a 2GB Flash Stick, shows as 6GB under READYBOOST.

I have a 4 gig ReadyBoost drive installed. Is it making any noticable difference ?? Nothing Earth shattering, but my computer is running fast, stable, and smooth, so maybe it does have something to do with that. It may be a combination of a few things that add up to a great performing computer. So does the ReadyBoost add ?? They say it's most notible when you have a low amount of ram that needs boosting. I'm running 4 gigs of ram, a 64 bit version of Windows 7, an Intel Duo Core e6750 processor, sata hard drive, fairly new ASUS motherboard, a decent video card. So all things together make up the whole package. So even it it just helps a little bit, that's a little bit I want. I think I paid around $ 7.00 for it, so it's really no big investment at all.

:)

No, it's still available in the new build.

General options are:

Open folder to view files
Use this drive for backup,
Speed up my system (ready Boost)

Hi everyone
Unless you have the bare minimum of RAM -- Turn this feature OFF -- It's the mother of all "Disk Thrashing" problems - especially on VISTA systems. If you have a decent amount of RAM >= 3GB this "feature" is just a waste.

Cheers
jimbo

I thought ready boost was for systems with low ram and is basically like paging file, which only gets used when memory is low. Correct me if i'm wrong. If thats the case I dont see the need for it on a pc with 4g +. I do have a ready boost enabled pen drive but have not used it since switching to x64 because 4g is more than adequete, so I use it for my portables.

No, it's still available in the new build.

General options are:

Open folder to view files
Use this drive for backup,
Speed up my system (ready Boost)

Weird. I don't have it.
I tryed 3 of the memorysticks that where working in Win7 7000 but they are not working in Win7 7022
The option ReadyBoost isn't there. Formatting the flashcards does not help

I don't know whether they updated the help files in this build, but go to Help and Support and type in ready boost.

There may be some options you've dibbled preventing it from getting the options.

Service doesn't exist in Build 7200. Not sure about build 7000 as I'm not going to use that any more.

On a 64 Bit system in any case it makes NO sense to use it -- unless you've got enough RAM why are you using a 64 Bit system in the first place.

Incidentally this service causes a huge amount of Disk Thrashing in VISTA systems so unless you really need it (1GB RAM etc) then disable the service --it's a total waste of time.

If on a VISTA system you've experienced Disks seemingly working to death even when you are not running anything then it's usually READY BOOST and to a lesser extent SUPERFETCH.

(A little tip -- to see all the items on the control panel switch to SMALL ICONS).

on W7 BTW it doesn't make sense to disable Superfetch -- service seems to have been highly optimized and works like it is supposed to.

Cheers
jimbo

Back
Top Bottom