Windows 7 Win 7 Beta stops in one week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Win 7 Beta stops at end of June!

Please note. Most of you have received this Email. PLease do not start posting this as a problem after July 1st. The RC is freely available for download by all.

IMPORTANT REMINDER ABOUT BETA EXPIRATION DATE

Thanks again for your help in testing Windows 7 Beta.

We’re sending this mail to remind you that Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for when the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On July 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will send you a notice a couple of weeks in advance, and that’d be the ideal time to rebuild your test PC with a non-expired version of Windows, such as the RC or Windows Vista. This will be a clean installation, so be ready to reinstall your programs and data. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

So, if you haven’t already done so, we highly recommend that you download and install the RC from one of the following sites today:
-
Developers
-
IT Pros/Microsoft Partners
-
Tech Enthusiasts/Consumers
IMPORTANT: If you are running Windows 7 Beta you’ll need to back up your data (preferably on an external device) and then do a clean install of the Windows 7 Release Candidate. After installing Windows 7, you will need to reinstall applications and restore your files. If you need help with the installation process, please see the Installation Instructions.

If you have questions or need help installing the RC, you can get help with your Windows 7 questions at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. But I think, sadly, that you are the only one who has bothered to read it. Oh well, another four pages of posts each day next week --lol.

Yes and its equally important to mention this is the BETA VERSION that will in fact expire and not the RELEASE CANDIDATE, which is good until at least March 1, 2010.

Absolutely correct. The Email was received on the 24th. The page Josh refers to is on the 26th.
Typically, Microsoft have not sent a further Email, correcting this. We are supposed to consult our local witchdoctors.
I have taken the liberty of amending the email copy in my first post, so noone gets the wrong date.
Thanks Josh and Loathe.

Could mike alter the sticky title? I have ameneded the built in title to "end of June", but it is not reflected as such in the main page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely correct. The Email was received on the 24th. The page Josh refers to is on the 26th.
Typically, Microsoft have not sent a further Email, correcting this. We are supposed to consult our local witchdoctors.
I have taken the liberty of amending the email copy in my first post, so noone gets the wrong date.
Thanks Josh and Loathe.

Yeh I caught that after reading the blog properly.

I don't get why people would still be using the Beta; after all, the whole point of testing it is to see improvements come in the RC. And the RC's out. Get it, folks!

Absolutely, Master Chief. I'll bet Microsoft are a little baffled too! There is still an enormous amount of chat on Technet regarding the BETa!

i'm a little confused, as i dl an earlier version (7077), and since it has worked soooooooo
well, i have never bothered to upgrade to the latest version. i've not seen anything in the forums that shows any great improvements to warrant such an upgrade. in fact, on the contrary, i've seen in the help forums quite a few reasons to leave well enough alone.
anyway, back to the point, my version says that it doesn't expire until march 1st 2010.
any thoughts about this?

Last week I got an email from M$ saying that the beta would start shutting down June 1st. Now today I got one saying that June 1st was an error and it will start shutting down July 1st instead. However I'm using the RC now and this is not an issue for me.

The thing that is puzzling me is that the RC is supposed to be good til June 1st but mine tells me it's only good til March 1st. Is it going to take 3 months for it to completely shut down? The beta is going to take only 1 month.

Wait let me understand this.... When the beta period finishes and we re install vista all our saved data will be deleted and we will have to reinstall everything again???? Surely that cant be right?

Wait let me understand this.... When the beta period finishes and we re install vista all our saved data will be deleted and we will have to reinstall everything again???? Surely that cant be right?

If it's saved data, then no prob. Otherwise that is correct. There have been frequent warnings regarding putting your essential data on a Beta, by Microsoft, and often on this site.

It is the Windows Beta that is due to expire soon, NOT the RC

i'm a little confused, as i dl an earlier version (7077), and since it has worked soooooooo
well, i have never bothered to upgrade to the latest version. i've not seen anything in the forums that shows any great improvements to warrant such an upgrade. in fact, on the contrary, i've seen in the help forums quite a few reasons to leave well enough alone.
anyway, back to the point, my version says that it doesn't expire until march 1st 2010.
any thoughts about this?
You have an early "leaked" version of the RC. The official version is build 7100. It also expires on the 1st of June, 2010.

I agree with master chief, there isn't any point in using the beta anymore. I just last night deleted the backup image I had saved of Win 7 beta (build 7000). I've been using RC since May 5 and last night made a new image of the RC after performing maintenance chores (defrag and disk clean). I'm using an open source tool (partimage) to create the image.
I save the image to a USB thumb drive (8 GB Titanium) and perform a restore immediately after creating it and before exiting partimage to make sure the image is OK. Restores take about 5 minutes.

^^ Correction, it's not a leaked early version of the RC, it's a Pre-RC build, and honestly, if you don't move the the RC, you're an idiot at this point. There's no reason to stay behind, and the RC improves upon Windows 7 in a lot of ways, including stability, security and others. Also, since 7077 and the Beta are no longer supported (7077 never was) they are full of holes hackers can use to pentrate your system.

as i stated above, i haven't moved to the rc, because my system is fast, appears secure and has ZERO problems. but it seems that sooooooo many people are having problems with the rc. i don't know, maybe their problems are because of them doing something wrong. but i thought that i would ride this version out until they let out something more official, or where there are some real improvements. everyone has said over and over that there are very few changes between the versions.
so you tell me now, if in your true opinion, it is worth me throwing all this away to get the latest version. because i would hate to lose this nice solid build, to download the newest one, and end up with a bunch of problems. ya know?
...and if so, what is the best address to download the lastest version?

ok I "upgraded" from the RC 7100 to 7137 2 days ago. can I do a system restore back a few days or do you think I need to do a clean install of 7100?

The RC is my main os and I'm not going back to XP, no way no how. I'll buy Windows 7 as soon as its available.

Rock on

BillD

as i stated above, i haven't moved to the rc, because my system is fast, appears secure and has ZERO problems. but it seems that sooooooo many people are having problems with the rc. i don't know, maybe their problems are because of them doing something wrong. but i thought that i would ride this version out until they let out something more official, or where there are some real improvements. everyone has said over and over that there are very few changes between the versions.
so you tell me now, if in your true opinion, it is worth me throwing all this away to get the latest version. because i would hate to lose this nice solid build, to download the newest one, and end up with a bunch of problems. ya know?
...and if so, what is the best address to download the lastest version?

Its a pain in the ass, but I recommend the RC. Personally, I would back everything up and do a clean install of 7100. The RC is solid which is why it has been released to the public.

Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program

ok I "upgraded" from the RC 7100 to 7137 2 days ago. can I do a system restore back a few days or do you think I need to do a clean install of 7100?

The RC is my main os and I'm not going back to XP, no way no how. I'll buy Windows 7 as soon as its available.

Rock on

BillD

Unfortunately, you will need to do a clean install of 7100 again. Upgrading isnt really the best option, especially when it is to an unsupported interim build.

Stay with the RC people, if its not broken, dont fix it. If you really must try the newer builds, put them on another drive/partition and keep the RC as your main OS. Stick with clean installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back