Windows 7 Win 7 can't see partition/s

TKR99

Hi
I'm installing the full copy on the partition. that previously held the RC, which I formatted but when I select to install there, Win 7 install just constantly says it can't find a partition or drive suitable for installation. Given this is absolutely the ONLY partition I want to install it on, I'd dearly like to figure out its problem. I've gone into XP and formatted the partition once again there but no go. Concerned if I delete that partition, it will corrupt or want to delete the info on the only other data partition on that drive which I obviously don't want, so sort of stuck. :confused:

Any ideas?

I would suggest simply deleting the partition and leave the space free, then you should be able to use that space when running the W7 installer.

Great thanks - just wasn't too sure about considering that option but will give it a go and let you know :)

------------------------------------

Ok - did that, but it's still saying it can't create or locate a System partition, but surely it should BE creating the darned thing on the empty partition. I even tried getting it to create a new partition itself but that didn't make any difference either. The partition shows up in Partition Master as Primary - is that what it should be? I've just no spare space to remove the data off the 2nd partition or I'd do so and give it the whole darned drive to itself, but seriously can't see why it should need it. I've never had such a problem in all my years of installing Windows onto partitions (& trust me, I've done LOTS!), hence at a total loss to figure it out.

Last edited:
Great thanks - just wasn't too sure about considering that option but will give it a go and let you know :)

------------------------------------

Ok - did that, but it's still saying it can't create or locate a System partition, but surely it should BE creating the darned thing on the empty partition. I even tried getting it to create a new partition itself but that didn't make any difference either. The partition shows up in Partition Master as Primary - is that what it should be? I've just no spare space to remove the data off the 2nd partition or I'd do so and give it the whole darned drive to itself, but seriously can't see why it should need it. I've never had such a problem in all my years of installing Windows onto partitions (& trust me, I've done LOTS!), hence at a total loss to figure it out.

I'll just add this to my list of one more things I hate about partitions. Save yourself a huge headache and get another hard drive and use it and when you have restored your old data from your current hard drive... make one partition, format it and use it for a backup.... you will thank me later.

The only other problem I had with this that I can recall was to do with bios boot order. I always had CD/DVD as first to boot from. Reading around suggests that this could be your solution. Apparently W7 only allows installation to a disc that is prioritized in the bios.

One last suggestion - I had this years ago with XP (I think). Solution was to use a third party partitioner, even if it is just a trial version, and do a complete, not quick, format.

Lastly, what size is the drive and how is it partitioned?

Ironically after yet again getting nowhere despite the partition even showing up as a System one now I had exactly the same thought - would be more profitable for me to spend £20 or so on a new drive than waste the same amount calling any Tech Support line, and would no doubt make life a LOT easier. Personally I love partitions but if I'd had any idea I was going to have this problem with installing the OS I doubt I'd have been quite so quick to consider jumping to buy it - can but hope it's not going to do this any time I have to reinstall (which for me, sadly seems to be quite a lot these days as I'm wonderful at fixing things until they're broke!), cos if it is I'll be reverting back to XP which seems much happier about partitions.

Appreciate your input tho - thanks.:)

Are you using the disk options on the partitions page to format, or can you even get that page? Did you make the new partition active?

Yeh - got to that partitioning page okay and selected the correct one etc, but even when it showed up as a system partition it still wouldn't recognise it. Although I use XP as my primary OS, this partition/drive is actually the active one that the PC boots into (after the CDRom) as I've always had to use F11 to get into XP otherwise it would go straight into the Win 7 RC OS. No doubt it will be down to some quirk of how my system is set up (3 drives - 8 partitions!) but dear goodness, I would have thought Microsoft would recognise some people like multiples of everything and make the OS capable of coping. Just utterly frustrating but at least I'm not in any dire rush to install it so will just be patient until I can either find a solution or I get a new HDD.

Solved!!!

Managed to get around the problem by disconnecting the other 2 drives and just letting Win 7 see only the drive I wanted it to install itself onto - this time the installation went ahead first time perfectly. Had forgotten I'd done that with the RC copy only because I was nervous about it overwriting my XP accidentally, and just remembered this morning. Might be a solution for anyone else with more than 1 drive. :)

Back