Windows 7 Win 7 x64 SP1 will not install and Update Readiness Tool will not run ( error: 8007000D Data is Inva

cherrio

Extraordinary Member
Have an HP G70-463CL that refuses to install some updates. Discovered SP 1 has not been made available or installed. Tried the manual install of SP 1 from the MS website and it fails and tells me to "Check for Update Readiness Tool" Downloaded that tool and attempted to execute it and it also fails. The readiness tool reports "Installed encountered an error: 0x8007000d, The data is invalid"

The Laptop originally came with Vista and later a Win 7 x64 DVD was supplied, and was upgraded about a year ago. We noticed there was two C++ Security updates that have been trying to update everytime the PC is turned off since JUNE 2011.

Any ideas how I can get the readiness tool to work? If I cannot make the tool work I know I have no chance of installing 46 missing secuity updates (as reported by a Belarc scan)

It is hard to tell from you situation what might be going on. Did you do a custom install of Windows 7 or did you install it over Vista?

The error mentioned is one of the errors the readiness tool is supposed to be able to fix, but not always. You can read about it at this Microsoft site and at the bottom it lists the location of 2 log files.

If you can, copy those 2 log files to your desktop along with the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows directory and zip them and try to send them directly to me in a private message. Maybe I can see something relevant to your situation.

Until then, Windows Update is very dependent on a good internet connection. But it seems if some of the data gets corrupted or the status of an install cannot be determined, it stops working.

Also open Task Manager and make sure the BITS service and the wuauserv service are both running.

The error mentioned is one of the errors the readiness tool is supposed to be able to fix, but not always. You can read about it at this Microsoft site and at the bottom it lists the location of 2 log files.

If you can, copy those 2 log files to your desktop along with the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows directory and zip them and try to send them directly to me in a private message. .

I tried a private message (no option to attahch file), and a email (again no option to attach). When I look at private messages sent it shows I have none. Not sure how to do this.

There were no CheckSUR.persist.log or CheckSUR.log, but i have the CBS.log and the WindowsUpdate.log

You seem to have about 50 updates that say it cannot find the files. So something is messed up either in the SoftwareDownload folder or possibly in the registry.

Have you done anything to try to fix Windows Update? Have you done a complete shutdown?

Do you have any updates hidden?

In the control Panel, Troubleshooting, there is a Windows Update troubleshooter. Have you tried running that.

Have you checked with HP to see if they have a fix for Windows updates? The following is the message on most of the potential updates.

Failed to evaluate Installed rule

If I did not know better, I might even think it is looking for the wrong version of the downloads. But I do not allow language updates, if that what some of these might be.

Do you have an Anti-virus installed that might be blocking some folders? Have you now tried doint the updates yourself?

I will keep looking, but it will probalby take me at least until tomorrow, if I can find anything. I will also go through some sites that say they can fix Windows Update.

I will also suggest you open an Administrative Command Prompt window and type the following and enter after. Give it time to work and if it comes back with some could not fix types of messages, we will have to check that.

SFC /scannow

This command just checks your system files. It is supposed to replace any bad ones, if it can.

Administrative command prompt your can click on Orb, type cmd in the search box, then CTRL+Shift+Enter

If none of this seems to help, I might recommend you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows directory. This should cause your system to rebuild itself.

I will continue to check your logs, just in case I can find something definite.

I just spent the last couple of days trying to install updater on a Windows 7 system with an Anti-virus program installed (not MSE). It was not fun and I am seeing some of the same WindowsUpdate.log entries you are showing.

I will just say if you have an anti-virus, try turning off everything you can to keep it from interfering. And turning off the active protection is not enough, you need to turn off anything that might interfere during reboots, like Rootkit or boot checking.

In some cases, my update install times went from 30 seconds to 15 minutes. SP1 failed to install twice and only after turning off the mentioned components did it finally install.

Last edited:
I was able to zip the files, but there is nothing that would allow me to attach them either in "private message" or "email". I checked my profile and it said I had rights, but I could not find an "attach" button anywhere in either private or email.

I will also suggest you open an Administrative Command Prompt window and type the following and enter after. Give it time to work and if it comes back with some could not fix types of messages, we will have to check that.

SFC /scannow

This command just checks your system files. It is supposed to replace any bad ones, if it can.

Administrative command prompt your can click on Orb, type cmd in the search box, then CTRL+Shift+Enter

If none of this seems to help, I might recommend you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows directory. This should cause your system to rebuild itself.

I will continue to check your logs, just in case I can find something definite.

1) OK, tried to run the SFC /scannow as an administrator and got a message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

2) then went to try and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and it would not let us saying it was in use. Booted into safe mode and then was allowed to change name to SoftwareDistributionOld. Rebooting into normal Win 7 did indeed set up a new folder named SoftwareDistribution with folders underneath it and today's date.

3) Went to try and run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 and it says "Not applicable to this Computer"
4) Went to Win Update and checked for updates, and it found 5 - four that have been hanging around forever and one new one released 9/30. Went to try and manually install one of them that we had tried a couple of weeks ago and again it says "Not applicable to this Computer"

I am about to give up. We tried booting into repair (which of course I cannot see from 1600 miles away) and he said he only had two buttons to choose from - shutdown or windows - when he picked the windows it went straight to Win 7 appearing to not even starting repair. THIS WAS THE REPAIR IN THE MENU. NOT FROM A WIN 7 CD.

OK, you need to slow down. After you rename the Download folder, the system has to go back and verify and download all prior updates so as to sync the system to the server. It may take several days and possibly some restarts.

If your command window says Administrator in the title and it gave you that message, it does not look good. I would be very hard to tell what condition your system files are in.

As far as the Repair options, check some of the attachments. I don't remember if we talked about this, but if the Install DVD is available or can be borrowed, a repair install will replace the system and allow for keeping the installed programs. I have to assume you are using the correct bit version of the DVD. And a Repair Install (not Startup Repair) is doing an update install from within Windows 7, not booting to the DVD.

Recovery Options.JPGF8 Options.JPG

Last edited:
3) Went to try and run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 and it says "Not applicable to this Computer"

Goofed that one up - it still reports a red X with "Installler encountered an error 8007000d The Data is Invalid" , same as I was getting on original post
I

According to what I found, this type of message (SFC error) might be caused by the fact the Trusted Installer is not running.

You can check by opening the Services dialog. Hit Winkey + R and then type services.msc

Go to the Windows Module Installer and see if it is running. If it is not, and mine was not, try to start it. If it will not start, we might be narrowing down the problem.

It seems to be set to a manual start so something has to start it. Just for testing, you might try the SFC again after having started it. In my case, running an SFC did start the Windows Module Installer. If you have already started it prior to doing the SFC, you might want to stop the service then see if an SFC will start it if it is set to a manual start.

The Trusted Installer is the entity that has ownership of the Windows core files and is used to replace or repair them.

According to what I found, this type of message (SFC error) might be caused by the fact the Trusted Installer is not running.

You can check by opening the Services dialog. Hit Winkey + R and then type services.msc

Go to the Windows Module Installer and see if it is running. If it is not, and mine was not, try to start it. If it will not start, we might be narrowing down the problem.

It seems to be set to a manual start so something has to start it. Just for testing, you might try the SFC again after having started it. In my case, running an SFC did start the Windows Module Installer. If you have already started it prior to doing the SFC, you might want to stop the service then see if an SFC will start it if it is set to a manual start.

The Trusted Installer is the entity that has ownership of the Windows core files and is used to replace or repair them.

Thank you. I have already discovered that his Trusted Installer is NOT present - it is missing. I went to my Win 7 64 bit machine and that folder has the identical date that my SP1 was installed. Do you know if Trusted Installer was part of SP1? Searching the web does not yield anyplace where one can go and just get the Trusted Installer, in fact most posts about Trusted Installer show up under VISTA foums.

Trusted Installer has been around since XP, I believe, but it most certainly part of the basic install of Windows 7.

The utility should be located in the Windows\servicing directory and called TrustedInstaller.exe

If you see the file, then it means the service is not being installed during boot, so open msconfig.exe and look for the Windows Modules Installer on the list under the Services tab. It should be checked so as to load during boot. If it is checked, try unchecking it and rechecking.

1) OK, tried to run the SFC /scannow as an administrator and got a message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

When we had the Systems Recovery Otions open, we used the cmd prompt to run SFC /scannow. After we went inside Win 7 and went to this folder C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copied CBS.log to desk top. When opening it, there were no entires from our scan. Does this repprent that it is not working?

Any more information on the TrustedInstaller front? Running an SFC from outside of Windows has to be done using special commands. Check the link for an explanation.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Any more information on the TrustedInstaller front? Running an SFC from outside of Windows has to be done using special commands. Check the link for an explanation.

Link Removed - Invalid URL
The TrustedInstaller.exe may have been removed by AVAST which is running. Sometime this week when we can get together I will examine the AVAST logs, and try to send him a zipped file from my PC with that file in it. I have experimented with how to install it in the C:\windows\servicing folder and think by opening an elevated cmd prompt as Admini, I can use a copy command - it worked on my Win 7 Ultimate last night (although when cmd asked me if I wanted to overwrite I just quit). We shall see. Apparently one needs the TrustedInstaller.exe in order to run SFC /scannow. AND SFC /scannow is the only way to restore missing Windows files.

We tried doing a Repair from his original HP Win 7 disk, but it reported no problems so that didn't work. We have to get SFC /scannow to work.

Today we tried to upload a turstedinstaller.exe from my pc to his (both Win 7 64bit). I tried three diferent ways

1) went into a admin cmd promot inside win 7 and tried to copy trustedinstaller from c: (root) to the c:\windows\servicing folder - access denied.

2) We rebooted into the Repair and cmd prompt. We then used the following
a. At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
  1. takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
  2. For example, type takeown /f c:\windows\servicing
b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:
  1. icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
For example, type icacls c:\windows\servicing /grant administrators:F.

It allowed me to copy the file, and then said something like this (I rebooted before saving the screenshot) "Folder C:\windows\servicing sucessful. File (something) was unsucessful." We went out of cmd and went to win explorer. The c:\windows\servicing showed the file trustedinstaller.exe was there but the file size was 0Kb (normally 190Kb). We closed the exploers and rebooted and went back to the same place and there it was 190Kb. I then went to control panel, administration, services and there was the trustedinstaller (which had been missing before) but an error message of "trustedinstaller failed to read description error code 1006. Checked the task manager, services and the trustedinstaller was there and stopped - it has not shown up there before.

3. Next we booted up and went to win explorer and right clicked on c:\windows\servicing folder, security folder. it had only three boxes checked Read,List, and Read. I clicked user(xxx-PC\Users) and clicked edit. then I clicked the (xxx-PC\Users) and cheecked full control permission, hit apply. It asked a question if I was sure I wanted to, and yes - then it said something like "You do not have permission"( sure wish I had the screen shot)

Any ideas how I can get this trustedinstaller.exe into the folder? Other people on the web have said this fixes both the SFC /scannow and the Updater problem.

Back