Windows 7 Win 7 x64 SP1 will not install and Update Readiness Tool will not run ( error: 8007000D Data is Inva

OK, I am going to try to remove TrustedInstaller from my system and see if I can reinstall it. It may turn out you have to do a REPAIR install to get it back, but I will get back in a few hours.

Until them, try right clicking the file and see if a "Restore Previous" option is available. If you have the file in the correct place, it might work. Of course, it might need the TrustedInstaller for it to work.....

Did the TrustedInstaller file show normal size after you copied it to another location, if that what you did, before moving it to the other computer?

I just went through the process. First some questions:

Did you copy the file onto the other computer prior to copying it to the servicing folder, and if so how big was it? Also, who was the owner at that time?

Do you show a TrustedInstaller.exe.mui file in the en-US folder in the servicing folder?

You seem to say you did move the trustedInstaller.exe successfully, but it showed 0K, but later it was showing the normal size. Is that the current status so it is in the servicing folder?

If you look at the registry,
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services do you show an entry for TrustedInstaller?

After copying the file to my desktop, I deleted it on my system and the SFC said it could not run--so far so good.

Then I followed the commands you show and was able to copy the file back into the servicing folder. But I had taken ownership of that file and given the user full control.

After I replaced it, the SFC worked again.

If you can get it this far, we will work on getting the security settings back to normal next.

It may not help, but if some procedure is not working, you can start Explorer in Administrative mode by right clicking the taskbar and then right clicking the popup "Windows Explorer" icon.

I should also bring up, if I tried to do anything with the file TrustedInstaller.exe, I had to first shutdown the TrustedInstaller service. Perhaps you may need to do that before copying the original file from your computer.

If I did not mention this, there are other TrustedInstaller.exe files on a system. Doing a search with hidden and system files enabled in the View settings for folders might be necessary to see them.

Here's a couple of things to try...

Run MBSA 2.2
And the Microsoft Fix It tool.

Dunno what security you are using ... I recommend MSE. Also, you might run Malwarebytes.

When trying to install SP1 for Win7 'manually' from the Microsoft web site you will be directed to get it via Microsoft Update site, anyway.

but, frankly, from what I've read in this 'thread', I would suggest, formatting & redoing a clean install. Of course, I'm assuming the disc you are using to install Win7 is sound & the PC supports 64-bit. I firmly believe no 'Repair' will fix your situation.

OK, I am going to try to remove TrustedInstaller from my system and see if I can reinstall it. It may turn out you have to do a REPAIR install to get it back, but I will get back in a few hours.

Until them, try right clicking the file and see if a "Restore Previous" option is available. If you have the file in the correct place, it might work. Of course, it might need the TrustedInstaller for it to work.....

Did the TrustedInstaller file show normal size after you copied it to another location, if that what you did, before moving it to the other computer?

We made great progess this morning. I apparently did not change the ownership yesterday on the C:\Windows\Servicing folder but this morning was able to change ownership and permissions to the user on this PC. THEN I was able to copy the TrustedInstaller.exe into the Servicing folder and the SFC /scannow worked !!!! I got a 5197 line report from CBS.log just with today's date. The cmd prompt said the changes would not take effect until a reboot and my brother could hang on no longer. I set the MS Updater back to Download and let me pick when to install so we will see tomorrow if the updater is now working.

That sounds great..

I just reinstalled the file by using the offline version SFC. But this may not work if more files were missing than just the one .exe file.

The biggest requirement here is to make sure you know the drive letter of your Windows partition while in the Recovery Environment.

Attachments

• SFC Offline.gif
    SFC Offline.gif
    71.2 KB · Views: 598
Back
Top Bottom