Windows 8 Win 8 and me

Well it's clear that Microsoft are cruel, nasty and selfish by removing the start menu. And also by removing the means to put it back. Maybe that's why they removed the start orb because maybe it had some source code to bring back the start menu.

I and other Windows users have spent money with Microsoft buying installation CDs of Windows and upgrades and product keys. We have been good customers and this is how they treat us. It's clear Microsoft are taking the mickey out of use Windows users doing what they have done.They have blocked all means of putting the start menu back in Windows 8 CP.

And they don't care about their customers,they don't care that millions of people won't be able to use a computer any more if they make Windows 8 like this. As most people only know how to use Windows anyway. But not this way,with the Metro theme and no start menu.

Microsoft have also violated out human rights by taking away our start menu and trying to force something on us we do not want.

I think it is time for us to go to our Presidents or Prime Minister and the European Court Of Human Rights.

Hopefully they will be sympathetic.

And the inventor who invented that horrible Metro theme.And took the start menu away, will be given a life sentence in prison. Or sent to prison for a long time.

And we will get an operating system that we can use with a start menu. And we might even get Windows 2000,Windows XP and Windows Vista back on sale in the shops along with Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Aw, come on, Admin... put an end to this silly waste of space & ridiculous distraction to our valuable Members & visitors. Please take heed to what Members are saying & feeling & take some kind of (overdue) action. :distress:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, come on, Admin... put an end to this silly waste of space & ridiculous distraction to our valuable Members & visitors. Please take heed to what Members are saying & feeling & take some kind of (overdue) action. :distress:
Why? Is there a bandwidth limit? There's only 10 people posting on these forums. Oh for the days of the Windows 7 forums. Hundreds of people posting daily (sorry, I was daydreaming). It definitely shows the lack of interest in this $100 Windows 7 Service Pack...I mean Windows 8.

And, if you're using the "waste of space" excuse, how's about going easy on the font size.

'BF',

Someone may fill you in on what this is about... 'space' in this case doesn't necessarily refer to bandwidth.

When did a start menu become a human rights violation? It's easy to see why she got booted from other forums.
Joe

MS is not being cruel. They are not forcing anything on anyone. You can take Win 8 or leave it and stay with Win 7. If you don't like not having a Start Orb then stay out of Win 8. It's obvious you DO NOT BELONG HERE! Please go back to Win 7 and stay there.

Discussing other members and what they do or do not do on other forums is not appropriate and I am personally offended by it!

Hello, everyone. If you want to discuss other forums, you are free to do so in the Cafe 8 off-topic area. Please stay on target and peacefully discuss Windows 8 in the spirit of the author of this thread. Threads that repeatedly go off topic will need to be closed. Remember: This thread is specifically about the author's view on Windows 8 and the responses to that. It is not about Seven Forums or some other website or its members. We are trying to stay on target so lets stick to discussion that does not go below the belt. Thank you, Ted.

MS is not being cruel. They are not forcing anything on anyone. You can take Win 8 or leave it and stay with Win 7. If you don't like not having a Start Orb then stay out of Win 8. It's obvious you DO NOT BELONG HERE! Please go back to Win 7 and stay there.

Discussing other members and what they do or do not do on other forums is not appropriate and I am personally offended by it!

Microsoft have also violated out human rights by taking away our start menu and trying to force something on us we do not want.

I think it is time for us to go to our Presidents or Prime Minister and the European Court Of Human Rights.

Hopefully they will be sympathetic.

And the inventor who invented that horrible Metro theme.And took the start menu away, will be given a life sentence in prison. Or sent to prison for a long time.

This quote actually shows an unstable mind. There is something wrong there. I'm sorry, but there is!

Anyone who states a developer of an app that she does not like should go to prison is unstable in my opinion. Her statements have been getting further and further into the fantasy realm.

I agree with you that this claim borders on trolling, and the user has been warned in this instance. I would also ask members: Please do not resort to straw man arguments, ad hominem attacks, repetition and other behavior. Please stay on topic and respectful of each other.

What ppl, Member are implying (& no, there is no need to refer to 'other' sites) has to do w/ now, the past few months & this site.

Ppl are struggling w/ the logic of having to have certain material, continuing unendingly from a certain individual... Ppl here & now are tired of it, that all Folks have been trying & striving to get across in various ways & wordings. It's also, that more individuals are speaking up & aloud, recently. Some Members know to use 'Ignore' but, the goal breaks down cus some well-meaning persons didn't or haven't got the memo. And fuel feeds the fire.

Again, there is no reason to belittle someone in order to diminish their argument. While Andrea's claims are a bit extravagant, to say the least, throwing on the rose colored glasses with the Consumer Preview may not exactly be the best bet, especially before the horse leaves the proverbial barn. I am interested in areas that can be improved, and that includes how information is presented and what this operating system will bring to the table in terms of usability and performance. This is far more important to me, than, say, mastering the inner workings of Metro UI with keyboard shortcuts. That is not to say that such a goal is pointless or illogical, but ideally, with a keyboard and mouse, it somewhat well should be. I am interested in what original material this OS will bring to the table outside of apps that are connected to Windows Live. In fact, it would be interesting to note if Victour's opinion of Windows 8 has changed or if he continued using it.

Personally, I have relegated Windows 8 to the most isolated possible testing areas, where I can revert to snapshots and test a large number of changes. A good point was made by someone else, perhaps not here, but whereas as it was possible to run Windows 7 beta and RC as a replacement for Windows Vista without remorse - this was the sign of a great upgrade to myself and I am sure many others. There was quite a bit of excitement at the absolute performance enhancement of the new OS, its lively look and features in comparison to Vista, and so forth. Certainly, it was clear that Windows 7 was rock solid as opposed to its predecessor, and much work had gone into making this system a grand success.

Now, looking forward to Windows 8, I would never deploy the Consumer Preview to any system containing sensitive data, nor would I perform an upgrade, mainly due to the entirely major changes noticed by those who perform an upgrade vs. clean install. (Upgraders are saying it is not really that different in performance vs. clean installers who claim there is noticeably better memory management and performance in many areas). It is clear to me that this is certainly not ready for prime time, and with the user interface in the odd state that I feel it falls in, I must certainly pass from throwing the gauntlet to Windows 8. This is not to say that I am not interested, but I prefer to look at this as objectively as possible, while absorbing the ideas and views of as many people as possible from all different experience levels.

If this is going to be the end result, and what everyone ends up with, we would all do well to take seriously some of the more major complaints and talking points. For many early adopters, there appears to be a relatively sharp learning curve compared to prior systems, and I would not simply condemn all non-true believers of Windows 8 into the loony bin. We will be here to help those people and the ones that love the OS (so far thats like 3 or 4 people on here... so we have a ways to go).

Let's give everyone a chance to give their views, as even Andrea has apologized for the comment as being a bit of a joke and quite out of place (regarding the "prison" issue). But I believe there are some real issues at hand here that are not going to go away if everyone just keeps repeating how wonderful and fantastic the new system is. Certainly, nothing would be accomplished if everyone supported every new enhancement added to Windows, and I would say that time is either going to do a lot to Windows 8 from where it is now, or the developers have already dug in with this new design and look and are busy encumbering it and polishing off their handy-work. If the latter is the case, I will be a bit concerned, as I believe many others will be as well. I have no interest in controlling my computer with Kinect for Windows, a brain implant, or whatever else my be coming out in the future. Thus, the tablet and phone changes are certainly not for me. Let us remain open to everyone's opinion - even skeptics. As I still truly believe that the true test of the meat of this system will be how it handles on an assortment of hardware, in comparison to its predecessor. The results, thus far, seem skewed.

Well I have already been told by Mike that it is against the rules to make personal attacks against other people. My post saying that that the inventor of the Metro theme should be sentenced to life imprisonment was just a joke.

But it could be seen by some as a personal attack,even though I was talking about a company,Microsoft,who is not a member of this forum. And of course we don't know who invented Windows 8 or the Metro theme. As they are not going to tell you the name of the person who invented it.

It is still an infringement of the rules to say something bad about a person,in this case the anonymous inventor of the Windows 8 Metro theme,who probably works for Microsoft.Even if he or she or they are not members of this forum.

But that post was just a joke and I apologize. No government is going to put anyone in prison for inventing a dysfunctional operating system. And when it comes to using a computer I am incompetent at it myself. with my ideas about removing Internet Explorer and not using anti virus software. And I have messed up my computer several times by deleting files and registry keys I should not have done.

So if the government was going to take that attitude,the first person they would put in prison is me.

Once again I am sorry,that post was just a joke. Andrea Borman.

Look - apology accepted. As I said to you in PM, please just keep it reasonable (and realistic). At the end of the day it is just software. It can change our lives in a whole bunch of ways, but we're not going to say good morning or good night to it like a good friend. At least I hope not. Please try to stay on topic and civil. Thank you.

'BF',

Someone may fill you in on what this is about... 'space' in this case doesn't necessarily refer to bandwidth.

I understand very well what you meant. I was being sarcastic. Your argument about "wasting space" was petty and childish.

I for one am willing to let this whole matter drop and move on. There were several things said that were inappropriate and I have resolved to ignore all inappropriate comments and just respond to those comments I deem appropriate based on my own values.

This is a forum on Win 8 CP, how to download it, how to install it, how to customize it, how to us it, how to make it work for you.

There are certain things you should not be doing unless you know what you are doing IMHO. If you do not know how to make Win 7 work for you then you should not be playing in a beta OS, period. If you don't know how to set up a dual boot scenario without first taking the precaution of Imaging your original front line OS then you should not be playing in a beta OS in a dual boot scenario, period.

There are now dozens of suggestions on how to make Win 8 CP Desktop very easy to use. Heck you can sort of see what I did in this thread. In fact yesterday I did a complete reinstall of Win 8 CP including downloading the iso file and burning to DVD (old was corrupted with errors showing up), complete format and Custom (Clean) install, reinstall of all my apps (you can see how many apps in the screen shot in the other thread), loaded many pics from Win 7, pulled in all my Links, Favorites, and completed everything in 3 to 4 hours. This included making a fresh Image of my Win 7 and Data partition before I started, then a fresh Image of Win 8 CP when I was done. I also cleaned up and defragged before creating the Images.

This is not rocket science if you will take your time and listen without making weird unusual comments from left field. You do not need a Start Orb. If you think you do go back to Win 7 and be happy. Win 8 CP IS NOT Win 7. It is an entirely new OS. I love Win 7. If you do as well then stay there. It is a great OS that will serve you well for many years to come. Be Happy with it!

"Windows 8 and me" , , , ah yes, Right now, the job for me is to find ways to make Win-8 acceptable to my customers, when the day finally arrives that someone goes to a local store to buy a new computer and Win-8 is the only OS in the house. I shudder at that thought.

Remember me? I'm the "Huffy" one! Dang straight! I can't rest on things of the past, guesswork or supposition. I have to determine what's going to work, in FACT only.

Windows 8 as it stands right today, is a mess. It's full of apps that don't work, a start screen that's actually designed for a Touch Screen Monitor, which most of us don't have. So evaluating this OS is nearly impossible with what we're given to work with.

There is virtually NO running this OS from the START screen. So most of us, go back to something we are more familiar with.....the Desktop. And it's a blank slate! Ooops, sorry, it does have a Recycle Bin and a fish. WOW!

At the risk of being called "Puffed Up" as well as "Huffy", I'm pretty darned proud of myself for the strides I've made in turning that blank slate of a Desktop into something that is actually useful, and even attractive at the same time. By the way, I loaded Office 2003 and Thunderbird 11 last night and both are working just fine.

But why, do we have to go to such extents, to get back to something we already had, naturally, in XP, Vista or Win-7?
If there is logic in it, I've totally missed it and I can't believe it's just because of my age.
FAST? Not really, it's only fast because MS has paired down the OS to it's basics. I'm suspicious that in its full blown retail version, it won't be quite so fast. My XP-Pro is actually just as fast, if not a bit faster.

Windows 8 and me? I think MS forgot about "ME" in that equation. (and a few Million other ME's around the world.)

:cool:
PS: I hope I've not deviated too much from the topic.

It's nice, much there certainly is bad in the world, that some ppl can still see & appreciate the positives.

Well said, BTW, Ted.

Anyone who states a developer of an app that she does not like should go to prison is unstable in my opinion. Her statements have been getting further and further into the fantasy realm.
My friend, I agree with you 100%.

That post in regards to "human rights violations" is an indicator of it. Microsoft isn't forcing Windows 8, nor any of their other OS's on anyone. As far as any prior OS's & COA's (keys) previously purchased, the user will continue to be allowed to use them, in accordance with the terms in the EULA of the OS's involved.

Reading the posts does provide for a little comedy, though.

Cat

"PS: I hope I've not deviated too much from the topic"
LOL. I think it would be difficult to deviate from a topic with such a title!
But, refreshing to read your post. I am trying, like yourself, to test, and justify, the desktop use of Windows 8, as it stands. I am totally bored with reading posts on how to bring back Windows 7 look alikes, or customise the menu. Those who have chosen to adorn there desktops and taskbars with shortcut icons should consider, seriously, if they have really moved from the Metro, or merely created there own (Non-touch). There is very little being said, so far, regarding the actual performance improvements. No reliable benchmarks seem to be available at present. I did my own primitive efforts, with a wrist watch, and through the help of the resource monitor on both. I should point out that this is an early release, and my Win 7 is tweaked for performance. Unfortunately, on past history, when Microsoft add a few more bells, windows 8 may even slow down, rather than improve.
1. My start up time, with the Windows 8 manager disabled (This manager adds several seconds, if it reboots into Windows 7). The times varied on succesive boots, but the difference was a very few seconds - Windows 7 the winner.
2. Memory and CPU useage were identical.
3. Access to a particular site on the internet were both pretty much instant with IE, so no comment.
4. With a non touch screen, I was able to load programs more quickly through through start programs in Windows 7, than working through the Metro.
I have had no driver/hardware problems. Pretty much all of the claimed "new" features (?), are all available, with a little research, in Windows 7. No comment on the new eye candy appearance of the task manager etc. As far as tweaks are concerned (disabling libaries, taking ownership - the whole lot) all which worked on seven, also work on eight, so no need for repetition there.
In anticipation of comment - I am not soured by this, but cannot see any reason, at this early stage, to recommend the program over Windows 7.

Back