Windows 8 Win 8 and me

Mike,
Right now, I'm testing the 32 bit version of Win-8/PP (public preview).
I have the 64 bit ver. on another HD, just for comparison purposes.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but years ago there were only two types of
printer drivers, for compatibility. Epson and IBM.
It would seem like MS remembers that when they put printer drivers into their OS's.
When I first started testing Win-8/DP, I had three different Epson printers sitting here with
the oldest one being about six years old. Win-8 loaded acceptable drivers for all three.

MS did leave out a lot of things from their /PP version, maybe to make downloads easier.
Themes, sounds, wallpaper are all at a bare minimum, possibly to make room for more
drivers. Works for me! I'm anxious, to see just how big the final release is.
I even went into the registry, to do some tweaking and I found many registry keys missing.
I assume that if I added them back in, that they would still work, but there's no guarantee
of that.

I'll go back to Win-8/PP/64 and see if my 'MahJongg' game installs and runs there too.
I suspect that it will.

Cheers mates!
cheers3.gif

:cool:

EDIT:
I just booted up Win-8/PP 64bit and tried to install the old 16 bit MahJongg game and was told it is incompatible with
the 64 bit version of the OS. Sh&%!
So far, I've seen NO benefit to using the 64 bit version of Win-8.
Using the programs to restore the START orb and Start menu has messed up my desktop. The OS will not remember where I put my icons, and when I reboot, they are all stacked up along the left edge of the screen. OH CRAP!
One step forward and two steps back.
Doc :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft have made it with no start menu and the Metro theme. And nobody can use it like that.

What they should do is scrap the Metro theme and make Windows 8 with the normal Windows 7 desktop and start menu. Like they have done with all other versions of Windows.

That would make everybody happy including me. Windows 8 DP worked because you could turn off the Metro theme. But you cannot in Windows 8 CP. And there are bugs in Windows 8 CP, that is why Windows Explorer freezes my mouse.

If Microsoft insist on making the final version of Windows 8 with no start menu and the Metro theme. Then Windows 8 will be-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

The biggest problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft have made it with no start menu and the Metro theme. And nobody can use it like that.

What they should do is scrap the Metro theme and make Windows 8 with the normal Windows 7 desktop and start menu. Like they have done with all other versions of Windows.

That would make everybody happy including me. Windows 8 DP worked because you could turn off the Metro theme. But you cannot in Windows 8 CP. And there are bugs in Windows 8 CP, that is why Windows Explorer freezes my mouse.

If Microsoft insist on making the final version of Windows 8 with no start menu and the Metro theme. Then Windows 8 will be-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

So, Andrea, Windows 8 doesn't suit you - its doesn't really suit me either. Why not juts stick with Windows 7 and forget Windows 8. There'll be another version of Windows along soon enough.

So, Andrea, Windows 8 doesn't suit you - its doesn't really suit me either. Why not juts stick with Windows 7 and forget Windows 8. There'll be another version of Windows along soon enough.

Well Windows 8 would be all right. If Microsoft would be sensible and make it with the Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu and desktop. And not the Metro theme and no start menu.

That is what everybody understands.

But Microsoft do not want to do that it seems. Andrea Borman.

Well Windows 8 would be all right. If Microsoft would be sensible and make it with the Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu and desktop. And not the Metro theme and no start menu.

That is what everybody understands.

But Microsoft do not want to do that it seems. Andrea Borman.
Andrea, the look & feel of Windows 7 & below, those days are over, as far as any new Windows OS's being written.

You have nearly 8 years to enjoy Windows 7, mainstream support until 01/12/2015, extended support until 01/12/2020. Check out the "End of Support" dates for XP, Vista & Windows 7. That means that you have a long time to use & enjoy Windows 7. Many other users will keep Windows 7 as their OS of choice. I probably will keep Windows 7 myself, on my notebook.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

Why don't you just stop fighting & enjoy what you do like? Life's too short to worry over things of which you have no control over.

Cat

Andrea, the look & feel of Windows 7 & below, those days are over, as far as any new Windows OS's being written.

You have nearly 8 years to enjoy Windows 7, mainstream support until 01/12/2015, extended support until 01/12/2020. Check out the "End of Support" dates for XP, Vista & Windows 7. That means that you have a long time to use & enjoy Windows 7. Many other users will keep Windows 7 as their OS of choice. I probably will keep Windows 7 myself, on my notebook.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows

Why don't you just stop fighting & enjoy what you do like? Life's too short to worry over things of which you have no control over.

Cat
Well it's good to know that Windows 7 will be supported with updates for a long time.

But the question is that-if we have to buy a new laptop,will we still be able to buy Windows 7? Or will they do what they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista? That is stop selling Windows 7,so we are forced to buy Windows ?

But of course whether or not they support Windows XP or Windows 7 in the years to come is irrelevant. Because I am going to carry on using Windows XP after 2014 if my laptop still works then.

And I will use Windows 7 for the next 50 years for as long as I shall live. But I won't use Windows 8 unless they make it with a normal desktop and start menu. NO WAY. Andrea Borman.

Well it's good to know that Windows 7 will be supported with updates for a long time.

But the question is that-if we have to buy a new laptop,will we still be able to buy Windows 7? Or will they do what they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista? That is stop selling Windows 7,so we are forced to buy Windows ?

But of course whether or not they support Windows XP or Windows 7 in the years to come is irrelevant. Because I am going to carry on using Windows XP after 2014 if my laptop still works then.

And I will use Windows 7 for the next 50 years for as long as I shall live. But I won't use Windows 8 unless they make it with a normal desktop and start menu. NO WAY. Andrea Borman.
You should still be able to purchase Windows 7 as long as it's in mainstream support. Buy as many copies as you wish. There should be a retailer (or etailer) in your area that will keep Windows 7 in stock for many years.

Cat

if you, like me, don't like the progress of Windows, there are other choices. Linux in all sort of editions provide all sorts of desktops and you can choose what what you have. All the software, OS and applications come free and there is a huge community to support you. Given what Microsoft charge for upgrades I rather think I might be going it that direction.

Ubuntu is worth a try to start with and you can download a 'live' CD of it - that is the machine will boot from the CD and let you play with the OS without installing anything on your machine. Give it a go - its free and you have nothing to lose. Its better than grumbling about Microsoft too!

That's correct, wheels5894. For beginners, Ubuntu, Linux Mint & Zorin OS (all of which I have) are good choices. Some Linux users says that PCLinuxOS is great for "newbies" also.

The really great thing about Linux OS's are that there's over 30,000 possible software choices in many categories to meet most every need. Printing support has improved, most newer ones (especially HP brand printers) works well with Linux OS's. Most comes with Firefox as the default browser, but Chrome is easily added, & some allows for Opera to be installed.

All one needs to know to get started with Linux OS's is to be able to use Firefox (Chrome on Zorin OS). From there, join the main forum of your chosen distro, there's many highly experienced users happy to assist you with any questions that will arise. I still need help from time to time, and chip in to help others also. These OS's are community driven, with both Ubuntu & Mint having very large ones.

Plus, it's satisfying to learn new things.

Cat

if you, like me, don't like the progress of Windows, there are other choices. Linux in all sort of editions provide all sorts of desktops and you can choose what what you have. All the software, OS and applications come free and there is a huge community to support you. Given what Microsoft charge for upgrades I rather think I might be going it that direction.

Ubuntu is worth a try to start with and you can download a 'live' CD of it - that is the machine will boot from the CD and let you play with the OS without installing anything on your machine. Give it a go - its free and you have nothing to lose. Its better than grumbling about Microsoft too!

But I read that Microsoft wants to put secure boot on all new Windows 8 laptops. If that's true then we won't be able to install Linux on a new Windows 8 laptop.

On this other forum here-Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS? - Neowin Forums - Page 31

The members there are telling me there won't be a Windows 7 start menu in the final release of Windows 8. But are they just winding me up? Maybe because you have more computer experience than I ,you can tell me if that is true or not.

The members of that forum were also the same people who told me that I won't be able to disable the Metro theme in Windows 8 CP. And that was right but if you read the posts on there. You will see that most of those members are for the Metro theme.

Where as here on this site a lot of people don't want the metro theme and want the Windows 7 start menu and desktop. But it seems the members on the other forum on that link I showed you do not want this. So maybe they are the wrong people for me to talk to.Andrea Borman.

The bottom line, in the end, is going to be whatever MS decides is what's best for their users. It's not just about us forum posters, it's about MS establishing themselves in a certain market, where there's steep competition. Just as they did in 1984 (or so), when Bill Gates was fighting like hell for a slice of the computing pie with Windows.

Times have changed a lot since then. Not only with computing, but most every market there is has had to make changes, regardless of how "unpopular" the ideas were, just to stay alive.

It's the same way with computing, time doesn't stand still. Of course many users doesn't like change, but most learns to adapt to it & ends up liking it over time.

Cat

Andrea,

Come on - you can buy laptops with Linux already installed - so no secure boot. There again, if there is secure boot I am sure someone will develop software to un-secure it - look at phone rooting.

Why are we whinging about "Secure Boot"? Does everything have to be viewed or perceived as a problem??

Why are we whinging about "Secure Boot"? Does everything have to be viewed or perceived as a problem??

I have limited experience with computers. Which is probably why I cannot use the Metro theme in Windows 8. And why I have messed up several installs of operating systems.Like I did when I installed Windows 8 and wiped out my Windows 7.

But I got Windows 7 back when I bought a plug in USB CD drive and a Windows 7 full installation CD. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, you're always going to have limited experience with computers until you open your mind, get your hands dirty, and use them for more than web browsing/forum posting. I never owned a computer until 2000, and didn't really begin to tinker with them until 2007. That was when I installed my 1st dual boot, XP Pro, on a Dell Latitude C640, as an option to Windows 2000.

Look, some of this stuff is complicated, there has been things that me took days or weeks to figure out. But I didn't give up, where many would have. But also, there are many things that are simple also. Like installing & upgrading programs, drivers, computer maintenance such as backup & defrag, keeping an AV updated & ran regularly, opening the cover from time to time to blow the dust out (this can be difficult sometimes with a notebook/netbook) of the computer. These are all things that needs to be done.

Think of your computer as a car (or whatever you drive). You maintain that, don't you? I do my own oil changes, brake jobs, coolant changes, tune ups, not because I necessarily want to (I'm seriously disabled & live with sometimes severe chronic pain), but because I want to know what's being done, what kind of parts bought, I want to know what I have & not get ripped off. If I don't feel good on one day, there's always another.

The same with my computers, I'm my own IT guy. I work on my own computers (the MSI is under warranty, so anything that needs replacing, they have an obligation to fix it). Currently, my ThinkPad needs a CPU fan motor installed, I have the fan, have several sets of instructions & videos bookmarked, but it's going to have to wait until I get back to the doctor, to get an injection in the base of my neck. My hands are too tingly & numb to do the job. The keyboard, trim parts, heat sink is going to have to be removed & cleaned, because afterwards, thermal paste will need to be reapplied to the CPU, Video Card & Heatsink. This is precision job & must be done correctly, otherwise there will be overheating from the start.

I once didn't know about these things either. The first time I flashed the BIOS on that 1st notebook I had, I was as nervous as a drunk driver just getting pulled over by the cops. Scared that I may end up with a costly paperweight. But 30 to 45 seconds later, my BIOS was updated to the current. I replace my own RAM & hard drives, that's usually a 5 minute job. Preparation takes longer than the job itself.

You're going to have to become more familiar with Google/Bing, there's many things that you can do, many tutorials that you can understand (there are some of Win 8 CP now). And get a positive attitude, as well as learn to accept change. You will never accept change thinking about it as negativity. When you being to accept change, you'll get to the point to where you'll sometimes embrace it. It's fun, it's challenging, it gives the brain the workout it needs, plus it empowers you. To be able to give help to others, rather than be seeking it. People will like you, rather than hide from you.

I'm not the type to get on anyone, as I try my best to treat everyone equally. But really, you need to put the negativity behind you, in order to move forward. Don't worry about what you can't do, work harder at what you can do, the rest will eventually come to you. That's called learning. This applies to most anything in life.

Please, just back up & start over, leave the negative behind. You have some computer knowledge, I know this from your posts. You can learn Windows 8, at your pace, while keeping Windows 7 as your normal OS. You're not being forced to learn overnight.

You can do it, I know you can.

Cat

But Windows 7 is better and faster than Windows 8 CP. I see no need for a Windows 8 when Windows 7 has everything we want. Windows 7 is so user friendly even a child can use it.

But Windows 8 CP is not the same. Andrea Borman.

Back