Windows 8 Win 8 BSOD, different error every time

Starcruiser

Hello,
I'm running Windows 8 on my laptop, and I've started getting very intermittent Blue Screens, with a different error code every time. I'm not ruling out hardware, but running linux off a bootable usb runs totally stable. Maybe hard drive? I'll be upset if it is, it's a 750 gb SSHD I bought less than a year ago. (3 yr warranty though)
Memtest 86+ 4.20 makes multiple passes, no errors. Crystaldiskinfo reports SMART status ok.

Attached is the requested info from W7F, cpu-z, and RAMMon.

Attachments

• cpuz.zip
    138.3 KB · Views: 311
  • RAMMon - SPD Info.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 255
  • W7F_02-02-2014.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 530
Last edited:
I've looked through my minidumps and they all have one thing in common:
ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+59769 fffff802`e9e0a000 fffff802`ea556000 0x0074c000 0x51a966cd 5/31/2013 7:13:17 PM
Kernel errors? Time to revert to Windows 7?

Side Note: PC refresh fails, says hard drive is locked. It IS encypted, but the boot loader automatically decrypts the media.

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 139, {3, fffff88002d548f0, fffff88002d54848, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiFastFailDispatch+d0 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
unfortunately I couldn't get your actual laptop model nailed down. I know it's a Presario CQ62 (should be a few letters/numbers after the CQ62 bit) Notebook PC but I need the full model number.
A couple of things to note:
I did notice however looking through the various versions of your model that at no point did I see any Windows 8 drivers.
Bios.
Your current Bios is:
BiosVersion = F.29
BiosReleaseDate = 04/07/2011
Usually a bios update helps in regards to upgrading to win 8 and even though it seems your model was never destined to be used with the os a bios update might help your cause.
If you can post your full model number I'll be able to provide better support on the driver side.

Model CQ62-228DX
Many of my original components have been replaced/upgraded, including HDD, Wireless, RAM. I got my Windows 8 drivers from each of the new components manufacturers.
I checked, there is no firmware update for my newer SSHD.
Version F.29 is the latest BIOS.
It may be worth noting that I tried upgrading to 8.1 at one point, but AMD has no legacy card support for 8.1 so I had to use the WDDM driver that came default with 8.1. That driver caused a 3 blue screens an hour until I gave up and restored a system image of 8. The windows 8 drivers don't work on 8.1 for some odd reason.

EDIT: to save time:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4252388#N1265

Here it is, straight from HP:
If you purchased your computer prior to October 1st , 2011, HP has not tested or developed drivers for your model computer. Therefore an upgrade of your computer might be difficult or impossible.
I love their customer support.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'll be downgrading to Windows 7. Seems like that will be the least hassle solution.
I'm just not looking forward to backing up 400 gb of data from my encrypted drive...
So much for "If your computer can run 7, it'll run 8 fine"
At least my Windows 8 class is over and I don't need it anymore.

What puzzles me is how I've been running 8 for 6 months, but it only starts to blue screen after 3?

It could be that the os has just become corrupted. Have you considered trying a refresh? It could well be that you still bsod when going back to win 7. Try running the system file checker. Open a admin cmd prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Have you installed anything new over the last few months either hardware or software wise?

Last edited:
I tried the refresh, it just told me it cannot refresh because the drive is locked. I can't repair from the installation source because my drive is encrypted.
SFC came up with a single bad file before that could not be repaired, but it is apparently a very common problem with a corrupt file. I have since fixed it, but the BSOD persists.
No new hardware since the Win 8 install, and no programs known to cause blue screens in 8 that I know of, and I looked.
I don't think it'll still blue screen after I install 7, unless it's my hard drive. (Seatools extended test says OK) It runs totally stable when booting any other OS from USB.

EDIT: come to think of it, I did put my USB NIC in and tried to bridge the connection with my internal card, causing a blue screen...

Hi,
hmm... so it might be something to do with either the usb driver or the network driver although as we know there aren't any driver updates available. well if you really want to go back to win 7 and it does bsod I'll obviously be here so just send the dump file.

Ok, well I installed 7 and, as I feared, I got a blue screen after installing all the updates and during my initial antivirus scan.
Well crap. Looks like it's hardware.
Dump points to "ataport.sys"
I'm starting to think it might be my sshd's sata controller, or the southbridge, or something along those lines.

Attachments

• W7F_10-02-2014.zip
    483.4 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {5b0054, 2, 0, fffff88000c05977}

Probably caused by : ataport.SYS ( ataport!GenPnpRefPdoExtensionWithTag+4f )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,

ataport.SYS: ATAPI Driver Extension This has more to do with CD ROM and DVD drives and could be just a red herring but try running the diagnostic utility supplied by HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4252388#N1343

Try using the Driver verifier:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-windows-7-with-driver-verifier-manager/5378/
If this doesn't find any thing then you could try troubleshooting. Basically do a clean install and update windows. Use the machine, if possible, before adding any driver and see if the bosd is encountered. If not start to add drivers testing as you go until a bsod is encountered.

Well, after painstakingly fresh-installing 4 times, among other things, I think I narrowed it down to my charger cord.
My old cord got switched, but they were nearly identical to begin with so I didn't think much of it. Both were the same voltage, watts, polarity, event the same brand (compaq and hp are essentially the same).
When I run my laptop on battery, no blue screens for the almost 3 hours my battery lasts. Running while charging from the cable, blue screens after a few minutes.

Wow good job on the trouble shooting. I know from experience what a pain in the ass it can be. Perhaps the cords differed more than originally thought?

I suppose so, though I can still see no technical difference between the two. The only difference is one is a slightly longer cord... The label seems identical.
I'm just glad I finally found the cause of my particularly perplexing issue. I've never seen anything like this caused by power in the 5 years I've been a tech.
The next step is to find a new power cable I guess.
Thanks for the help kemical

Happy to help... Please let me know of any change in outcome... :)

Back