Windows 7 Win7 32-bit to Win7 64-bit Using Upgrade DVD

ReliC426

Hi all, first post!

So I have a new laptop that came with 32-bit Windows 7. The system restore DVD it came with contains ONLY 32-bit Windows 7, mainly because the system shipped with 2GB DDR3 RAM. I added another 2GB to bring the total to 4GB. Would it be possible to purchase an Upgrade copy of Win7 (which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit) which would allow me to do a clean install of 64-bit, or would I have to purchase the full Retail copy? I know I can't "upgrade" directly from 32 to 64, hence the clean install.

Yes, this system is 64-bit capable.

Thanks.

Hi all, first post!

So I have a new laptop that came with 32-bit Windows 7. The system restore DVD it came with contains ONLY 32-bit Windows 7, mainly because the system shipped with 2GB DDR3 RAM. I added another 2GB to bring the total to 4GB. Would it be possible to purchase an Upgrade copy of Win7 (which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit) which would allow me to do a clean install of 64-bit, or would I have to purchase the full Retail copy? I know I can't "upgrade" directly from 32 to 64, hence the clean install.

Yes, this system is 64-bit capable.

Thanks.
You can do a clean install with the Retail Upgrade Disk. You do not need to get the Full Retail Copy. A little searching on this forum will get you all of the information you need. If you want to keep your X32 and install X64 you should be able to dual-boot. Use disk management in your X32 install to make room for the X64 installation.

With 4 gig of ram you will be a little better off with X64 since X32 probably won't see more than 3.75 gig of it at best.

You can only request 64 bit upgrade disk. instead of 32 bit. I bought Windows 7 Professional 64 bit from Microsoft using the student discount (I had Vista home premium 32 bit OEM that came with laptop). They were charging me more if i wanted a 32 bit version of windows 7 pro, do not know why and dont care.
Did a custom install with out a hitch and key that was supplied, worked flawlessly.
Enjoying my win 7 pro 64 bit right now :)

Back