Windows 7 Win7 backup stopps. Bug or problem?

Stucky

Before: I had Windows Vista 32 Bit Home Premium and everything was fine.

Last weekend I stored all the content of my computer to an external Toshiba USB connected hard disk by using Easy Transfer as supplied with Vista. I checked my computer for its Win7 abilities by using the free win7 upgrade advisor from Microsoft, which confirmed my expectations, that everything is fine for receiving a brand new Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

And I did it; :cool: I installed a completely new Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit operating system. This happened quite fast (less than 30 minutes).I only had some confusion with my Belkin F5D8035 USB WLAN stick, because the setup.exe from the product CD needed to be started under Vista compatibility mode.

Even the installation of all the software packages worked fine and even more surprising was that the restore of all the easy transfer files and options worked fine.

Now my problem::frown:

I can not make a backup from my new installation to the external Toshiba USB hard disk with the Win7 backup software. It always stops after 10%. I checked the hard disk, I formatted it, I touched it gently... nothing helps.

Perhaps does someone of you have an idea?

This is probably a software issue.

Since you've reformatted the Hard Drive, this is probably a software issue, try re-installing Windows 7, but before you do, try another Hard Drive for backup, or since you have Ultimate, share the backup drive you have, and setup the backup to save onto a network disk, select the shared drive and see if that works. If all fails then I really don't know what to say!

Solved

the solution looks like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you hitting issues with a hang or a failure to transfer data, please try the following...

From an elevated command prompt (right click on the command prompt shortcut, run as administrator):
1) Type "bcdedit /set truncatememory 0x80000000" (no quotes)
2) Reboot
3) Go to control panel -> System and Security -> view amount of RAM and processor speed.
- It should report 4GB (2GB available)

To undo this, open an elevated command prompt again:
1) Type "bcdedit /deletevalue truncatememory" (no quotes)
2) Reboot
3) Go to control panel -> System and Security -> view amount of RAM and processor speed.
- It should report 4GB

After enabling the "truncatememory" setting, please try a few file copies and see if you can make the problem reproduce. Then let me know the results of this experiment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a memory allocation problem caused by NVidia chipsets in connection with 64 Bit Win7.

Back