Windows 7 Win7 doesn't recognize partition.

Longi

Hi!

I'v recetnly reisntalled windows 7, because a bad virus... I was happy when I got my newly installed super-fast windows 7. But when I opened Explorer I realized that one of my partition had disappeared. I tried looking at Disk Management:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I see that it doesn't have drive letter nor name. But ther's no option to add one. Also, this drive is NOT empty. There's a lot of stuff there I need. I tried using Hiren's boot. Some tools can recognize the partition, and shows the name ("Files") of it. But I didn't have any luck fixing it or copying files from it. Any help?

I see that it doesn't have drive letter nor name. But ther's no option to add one. Also, this drive is NOT empty. There's a lot of stuff there I need. I tried using Hiren's boot. Some tools can recognize the partition, and shows the name ("Files") of it. But I didn't have any luck fixing it or copying files from it. Any help?

To get files out of that partition you will probably need 3rd party software and there's no guarantee you will get them all back or that your tree structure will be retained in the process... Google "Data Recovery Software", there's quite a bit out there and you may have to try more than one to get it all back.

I'm guessing from your drive structure that you just got a 1tb disk and installed it as your primary... the 400gb was your original system disk and the 150gb was it's predicessor.

If I dare suggest... set up the 150gb as your system disk. Put your active data on the 500 (it's fairly easy to move your "user" folder over there in Win7 and keep the 1tb for really big stuff like movies, music collections, photos etc. Get them all formatted as single partitions, ntfs, primary and it's unlikely you'll have this problem again. Even if the OS crashes, only the 150gb disk will be affected.

thanks, i'll try it now
well, the disk with windows on it only got 120gb, not 1tb. That's why I keep my big stuff in the 500gb disk. The 150gb disk used to have ubuntu installed on it, but it got deleted when i was trying to get rid of a so called "YoYo" virus, which was the reason of reinstalling win7.

I'd suggest getting rid of the Linux partition completely.

I use a program call Parted Magic which makes partitioning a breeze.

Download Parted Magic here:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

You must then burn the ISO to a CD.

This is a great tool.

Or simple delete it (if there's no data on it) ,then recreate the partition.

Last edited:
data recovery softwaresare not free, and the trial versions won't let you recover the files. If I find a free only, it doesn't recognize the partition like windows...
thanks reghakr, i'll give it a shot. as you can see tha lunix partition is already deleted, unallocated partition. and there's 200gb stuff on it, so I don't really want to delete it.

Back