Windows 7 Win7 Pro - "create" access to server

Kamaloha

I am a database programmer. I publish a client-server application. I have a client who is adding Win7 Pro workstations to their existing network, which at the present time consists of WinXP workstations talking to a Windows server (not sure of version).

The application needs to be able to create and destroy temporary files on the server. The XP workstations have no problem doing this, so the server permissions are set correctly. However, the Win7 workstation is unable to create the files as needed. The same user and folders are being used, so the only difference is the workstation OS.

The folders are visible and can be accessed; the application runs, and can read and write existing files on the server, it just can't create/destroy files there.

I am not able to recreate the problem here, but I do not have anywhere near as sophisticated a network so I can't truly reproduce their environment.

We've looked through everything we can think of. Where are we not looking?

Follow up data: Server is Win 2008 R2. User has administrative privileges, although most users would not.

Further clarification needed.....
W2k8 R2 Server is a domain controller (Active Directory Domain)?
Are they using OUs and GPOs (Organizational Units and Group Policy Objects? If so are both the problem user and the Win 7 Pro machine in the proper containers? (And the computer has been joined to the Domain?)
User has administrative privileges
Problem user is a member of the "Domain Administrators Group" and he / she can still not create or delete files and folders from the share?
Compare "Group Membership" between problem user and other users without the problem and make sure there are no Group Membership Conflicts.
What are the file extensions of the temp files that he or she can not write or delete (.ldb or laccdb (MS Access lockfile extensions)? If you are using an MS Access frontend test the database when the problem user is the only one accessing the database)
Authentication methods? NT_Authority or Mixed Mode or database (SQL Authentication)?

These problems can be a pain to resolve but the problem should not be yours. The client should have a Server / Domain administrator to sort these kind of issues out.

Back
Top Bottom