Windows 7 Win7 RTM going to make history

cmn

If the ease with which Win 7 Beta Bit 32 Build 7106 could be installed into a system board built in 2008 [ Zotac nForce 610i-iTX with NVIDIA MCP73 SERIES Chipset, Intel LGA 775 socket (I installed Intel celeron for this limited budget system) with just 2 Memory slots for max 4 GB DDR11 533/667 RAM sticks(mind you this is a mini-itx board 170mmX170mm for my ThermalTake LANBOX VF1000 BWS) and on board Video nvidia GeForce 7050, SATA IIX2 PATA x1, LAN, Azalia HD Audio, one PCIE 8 USB 2 PORTS with driver support for Win Vista x32 and x64 ] is any indication of things to come when the RTM rolls out, I belive it is going to remove any bad taste WinME and Win Vista had left in us not so long ago. As an avid Linux user, I am convinced that Win 7 would raise the bar even higher for them. I had Win XP Pro SP3 and Win7 Beta Bit 64 Build 7048 on 2 different partitions on the same Computer which is part of a home network with other windows and Linux systems. This Build 7106 had no problem identifying the existing Wireless and LAN adapter with no help from the Manufacturer's discs to locate, install the required drivers and boot to the Internet on first appearance of my Desktop. All I had to do was to change the Workgroup name to the same as others and reboot to connect and easily display all my other Sysems on Network folder of Win 7 Build 7106. The only thing I had to "cure" was an ! against Smb. which was very easy as I inserted the Zotac nForce 610i motherboard disc and showed DM the Drive letter.

40 minutes from dropping the Win 7 DVd to DVD drive to the IE 8 to access WWW.MSN.COM is a new record for Microsoft Windows.:) Of course installing your Antivirus, Office Suite and things like that will be adding their own time but it is not what I was testing.

If the ease with which Win 7 Beta Bit 32 Build 7106 could be installed into a system board built in 2008 [ Zotac nForce 610i-iTX with NVIDIA MCP73 SERIES Chipset, Intel LGA 775 socket (I installed Intel celeron for this limited budget system) with just 2 Memory slots for max 4 GB DDR11 533/667 RAM sticks(mind you this is a mini-itx board 170mmX170mm for my ThermalTake LANBOX VF1000 BWS) and on board Video nvidia GeForce 7050, SATA IIX2 PATA x1, LAN, Azalia HD Audio, one PCIE 8 USB 2 PORTS with driver support for Win Vista x32 and x64 ] is any indication of things to come when the RTM rolls out, I belive it is going to remove any bad taste WinME and Win Vista had left in us not so long ago. As an avid Linux user, I am convinced that Win 7 would raise the bar even higher for them. I had Win XP Pro SP3 and Win7 Beta Bit 64 Build 7048 on 2 different partitions on the same Computer which is part of a home network with other windows and Linux systems. This Build 7106 had no problem identifying the existing Wireless and LAN adapter with no help from the Manufacturer's discs to locate, install the required drivers and boot to the Internet on first appearance of my Desktop. All I had to do was to change the Workgroup name to the same as others and reboot to connect and easily display all my other Sysems on Network folder of Win 7 Build 7106. The only thing I had to \"cure\" was an ! against Smb. which was very easy as I inserted the Zotac nForce 610i motherboard disc and showed DM the Drive letter.

40 minutes from dropping the Win 7 DVd to DVD drive to the IE 8 to access WWW.MSN.COM is a new record for Microsoft Windows.:) Of course installing your Antivirus, Office Suite and things like that will be adding their own time but it is not what I was testing.

It is going to make history as the best thing MS have produced up to now :)

...fourty minutes?
Jeez my friend. I can do it in eighteen. :)
Shouldn't I get my 20 mnts for my poor typing skills, correction time for wrongly entered CD keys , time to come and check Our Forum activity on this the PC on the desk behind and answer a post quickly or edit my typos while the new logon screen waits ? :D . Seriously, you are right, it's much shorter than the time I posted. My point was that the enormous setup delay Windows was notorious for in the past in the older Xp and Win9xs and the claim that Linux systems take a lot shorter time for the setup than Windows, no longer holds good with Win 7. Windows is catching up with Linux setup time and exceeding in a lot of areas in which Linux has to do a lot more to catch up as in Audio and Video in Messengers. I hope the OEMs the Computer manufacturers load on their New PCs for the holidays don't come with all those bloatware they used to stuff to make Windows 7 look bad:)
Thank you for your input and setting the record straight about Setup time.

20 this way but hey me slow ! :)

Thank you whoosh for your interest in my post about Windows 7's last of the Beta Builds and your valuable comments. Aren't we all excited about the RC and beyond? This time MS is not taking any chances and I am optimistic that windows 7, like Win 98SE , Win 2000, Win XP, will once again gain the trust and confidence of ordinary folks who use computers at home, at school and in their professions even if they are not IT related.

Last edited:
Don't be envious, cmn. I would say forty minutes was normal for your specs. It is an endless road to compare notes on this subject. The installation time, as you know, depends on three basic things (and maybe some minor issues such as typing skills - lol) The speed of your DVD drive, the speed of your Hard disks and, of course, memory speed.
I use a laptop for beta testing, on the grounds that if it works on that, it'll wotk on anything! The specs are very similar to yours. Installation time to a working desktop, including setting up the network on route - 40 minutes.

The same applies to startup times. To compare is odious. the only real test you can give is with a dual boot, with say, Vista, on the same computer. But how often do we install? Who cares, within reason, what the time is? Does anyone really sit and watch their computers boot up and stress themselves because it takes 20 seconds longer han the next guy? In spite of this, on another forum I visit, currently a thread on reboot times has just passed the 400 posts mark!!!

Don't be envious, cmn. I would say forty minutes was normal for your specs. It is an endless road to compare notes on this subject. The installation time, as you know, depends on three basic things (and maybe some minor issues such as typing skills - lol) The speed of your DVD drive, the speed of your Hard disks and, of course, memory speed.
I use a laptop for beta testing, on the grounds that if it works on that, it'll wotk on anything! The specs are very similar to yours. Installation time to a working desktop, including setting up the network on route - 40 minutes.

The same applies to startup times. To compare is odious. the only real test you can give is with a dual boot, with say, Vista, on the same computer. But how often do we install? Who cares, within reason, what the time is? Does anyone really sit and watch their computers boot up and stress themselves because it takes 20 seconds longer han the next guy? In spite of this, on another forum I visit, currently a thread on reboot times has just passed the 400 posts mark!!!

Don't be envious, cmn. I would say forty minutes was normal for your specs.
Thanks davehc.
I am in no shape to compete nor do I have any desire [no , its not sour grapes:)] for that and hence no envy:).

I use a laptop for beta testing, on the grounds that if it works on that, it'll wotk on anything! The specs are very similar to yours.
I am yet to own my own laptop because I cannot find new parts like MoBo and Processors to make one from components like I do with my Desktops. I do get plenty of chance to fix proprietary ones that meet with premature Power Connector problems a few days after the usual warranty period, hard disk deaths, need for RAMS, need for upto date DVD burners, replacement of keyboards died of "accidental coffee intoxication":D I also get my share of "faulure to boot " or "weird behavior" from friends and relatives with laptops !

Yeah I'd have to say 20 minutes is pretty standard for Win 7.. (Clean install).. ;) I'm not sure if this will be a new record but it's still very fast.. :) And I agree with you Whoosh, Windows 7 will definitely be one of the best OS's MS has ever released to date.. :)

Yeah I'd have to say 20 minutes is pretty standard for Win 7.. (Clean install).. I'm not sure if this will be a new record but it's still very fast.. And I agree with you Whoosh, Windows 7 will definitely be one of the best OS's MS has ever released to date..
Don't talk to much guys!:p

We all hope it will be and it must be! But yeah, looking at the first RC, things are going well. Can't wait for RC2, RTM and new UI when it comes!:eek:

Don't talk to much guys!:p

We all hope it will be and it must be! But yeah, looking at the first RC, things are going well. Can't wait for RC2, RTM and new UI when it comes!:eek:

There isn't going to be an RC2.. Microsoft have stated this multiple times.. ;) There will only be 1 RC followed by the RTM.. :)

Back
Top Bottom