Windows 7 Win7 Slow Resume from Sleep

lexluthor

I just put together a new PC and it's very slow to resume from sleep.

I set the BIOS to use S3 sleep.

I put the computer into sleep manually and all of the fans/lights go off in a 5 seconds or so.

When I resume from sleep it takes about 20 seconds before Windows comes back on. By resume, I mean the LCD power light changes from amber to green and comes on. My USB mouse also has a light that takes about the same amount of time before it comes on. The PC fans all come on immediately.

I have MSI 785G-E53 motherboard, with AMD Phenom II 560 (with all 2 hidden cores unlocked and overclocked from 3.3Ghz to 3.5Ghz), Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 4GB (2x2) Mushkin RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA, 150MB Maxtor SATA, ASUS SATA DVD, LiteOn IDE CD, using on board video (Radeon HD4200), AVerDVD EZMaker WDM video capture PCI card, 500W PSU (don't recall brand offhand).

So far, I've disabled the 2 extra cores and removed that overclocking. I also removed the video capture card and the IDE drive.

Neither of those had any effect on the resume from standby time.

I did go into control panel->performance and information tools->advanced tools->view performance details in the event log and I see quite a few "standby performance monitoring" errors and warnings. There's nothing in there that sticks out to me as pointing to a particular driver or piece of hardware, but I'm not really sure how to interpret the logs.

One recent entry shows the resume duration at 20942ms, but there's really no data there that would help me isolate the issue.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on what exactly to look for or to try at this point.

Hello and welcome.

Type msinfo32 in the start menu, press enter, file|save on the opened screen, then zip the saved file and attach the zip to a post.

I'll see what I can come up with. :)

Here you go.

Let me know if you come up with anything for me to try.

Thanks!

Attachments

• msinfo32.zip
    60.7 KB · Views: 254
Uninstall eDexter as a test, whatever that is.

What is really causing the issue is probably Blue Coat, so you can try uninstalling that too.

Macrium is another candidate.

---------

Visit Logitech.com to update your USB Wheel Mouse driver.

Edexter is on all my pcs. It just is a mini webserver to route 127.0.0.1 requests to so that blocked sites don't site an error in ie. That's not the issue.

Bluecoat is on my laptop and I don't have the problem, but that's worth disabling as a test. I'll try that tomorrow.

Macrium is on demand backup software, don't see how that could be it.

Any other thoughts?

Disabling will not help. Full uninstall necessary to test.

Macrium is another candidate.

Ok. I uninstalled K9, Macrium and eDexter. No changes.

I also confirmed that I am not using hybrid sleep.

Any chance it has to do with having a 1TB 7200RPM HD and the time it takes to spin up? Still, 20 seconds seems out of the ordinary and the warnings in the event log still seem point to there being a problem somewhere, but if people say it's normal, I'd accept that.

Any other ideas?

Ok. I uninstalled K9, Macrium and eDexter. No changes.

Any chance it has to do with having a 1TB 7200RPM HD and the time it takes to spin up? Still, 20 seconds seems out of the ordinary and the warnings in the event log still seem point to there being a problem somewhere, but if people say it's normal, I'd accept that.

There was a Windows update released addressing this problem a while ago - though I think it was only for 2+ TB hard drives.
I was unable to quickly find it on Google, and I'm unsure if it's a required update, so it's worth checking Windows Update for optional/recommended updates.

Fixed!

Someone at the msfn.com site forums has instructions on how to run a standby trace. After doing that, he analyzed the log and pointed it to ACPI system drivers and said it looks like it's a motherboard driver issue.

I went to the MSI site and downloaded a file I had seen before. It said it's ATI System Drivers. I had started to run it before and an ATI Catalyst install page came up. Since I had previously installed the video drivers that I got from ATI's site that were newer, I figured I didn't need this file.

Well, after he pointed it to motherboard drivers, I figured I'd run this install fully. After I started it, it said something about a north bridge driver and USB driver that wasn't installed. All other components were already installed and up to date. So, I let it install those 2 components. I rebooted and now the system goes into standby in about 1-2 seconds and resumes from standby in about 5 seconds.

Very happy!

Glad to hear the problem was resolved :)

Thanks for using Windows7Forums.com, I hope to see you around.

Back
Top Bottom