Windows 7 Win7 x64 16 BSODs in one week, after 2 very stable months

Puluke

My Lenovo X201 laptop Win7 x64 started blue-screening 9/1 after stable operation since it was new in mid-June. 8 Memory Management (x1A), 4 Bad Pool Header (x19), and 4 other bug check codes (maybe caused by memory management issues?).

I have attached zipped output of SF Diag tool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Errors:

1. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
Bug Check 0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

2. BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
Bug Check 0x19: BAD_POOL_HEADER

3. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
Bug Check 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

4. NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (24)
Bug Check 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

How to resolve:

1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update. See my post above.

2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.

3. Check your hard disk for errors. Check your hard disk for errors

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

090110-17596-01.dmp
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe
PROCESS_NAME: Acrobat.exe

090110-20115-01.dmp
BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
PROCESS_NAME: sidebar.exe

090110-21808-01.dmp
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
PROCESS_NAME: chrome.exe

090110-21434-01.dmp
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)

090210-19718-01.dmp
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
PROCESS_NAME: AcDeskBandHlpr

090210-20966-01.dmp
BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x19_20_nt!HvFreeHive+24b
PROCESS_NAME: TrustedInstall

090210-22401-01.dmp
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)

090310-21450-01.dmp
BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x19_3_nt!ExDeferredFreePool+ca0

090310-25474-01.dmp
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x3B_win32k!InternalBuildHwndList+39

090310-25474-01.dmp
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x3B_win32k!InternalBuildHwndList+39

090510-20264-01.dmp
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
PROCESS_NAME: igfxpers.exe

090510-21590-01.dmp
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
PROCESS_NAME: Picasa3.exe

090610-17082-01.dmp
BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
Probably caused by : eamonm.sys ( eamonm+431a )
eamonm.sys Wed Mar 24 21:18:28 2010
ESet NOD32 antivirus system monitor driver system driver file
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x19_20_eamonm+431a

090610-26067-01.dmp
Probably caused by : win32k.sys
PROCESS_NAME: WmiPrvSE.exe
Windows® Management Instrumentation

090710-20982-01.dmp
Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsFindPrefix+121 )
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (24)
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x24_Ntfs!NtfsFindPrefix+121

In addition to updating drivers above, ESET has been an issue on the machine. Update that to latest version available or uninstall it in safe mode using the special tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

If you choose to uninstall it (I would because of stop errors shown, for sure), boot to normal mode and install MSE to replace.

Thanks for your help.

I have updated the Sonic driver Phlpa64.sys to the latest version.

I have applied the latest Lenovo Power Management Driver, but this did not replace the tppwr64v.sys driver; the October 2006 version is still installed. Maybe no later version has been issued by Lenovo?

I've been unable to locate a later version of the Lenovo SMI Driver smiifx64.sys on the Lenovo support website. Any ideas? Maybe there isn't a later version.

I've been unable to locate a later version of the Conexant driver mdmxsdk.sys, and their website says they won't provide driver updates directly to end users, at request of hardware manufacturers.

I've had 3 more BSODs today; minidump files attached.

Is there any reason to think that the problem may be memory, cpu overheat, or other hardware related, as the bugchecks seem to cover a fairly wide range.

I haven't yet uninstalled ESET and moved to MSE, but have confirmed that I have the latest version of ESET installed. Is it possible that ESET is a victim rather than cause, as it seems to appear in only one of the previous minidumps? Or have you seen other cases that clearly indicate that ESET should be uninstalled?

Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome.

As for my last post regarding ESET - you'll wan't to replace with MSE as shown.

Then go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete

PxHlpa64.sys

Reboot.

If you follow that, the machine will have and excellent chance to be free of bsod. Easiest way to say it.

OK, I've removed ESET, installed MSE, and removed the PsH... file. I'll let you know whether my system is more stable now ... although I've decided to go on vacation for 2 weeks and leave my laptop at home alone, so I won't know for sure until late September. Thanks for your quick response and assistance.

No joy. 6 BSODs today, on my first day back from vacation. A variety of bugcheck codes.

I ran the SF Diag tool again, and have uploaded the zipped files.

Thanks in advance for any further suggestions.

There's a new problem that didn't exist before. This is way too old for Windows 7:

Tppwr64v Tppwr64v.sys Wed Oct 18 04:40:21 2006

Reference to what it is: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Update it from Lenovo's site.

-----

Another new problem:

mdmxsdk mdmxsdk.sys Mon Jun 19 17:27:26 2006

Update the Conexant modem drivers from Lenovo's site.

------

Another new problem:

smiifx64 smiifx64.sys Mon May 12 05:01:13 2008
smihlp smihlp.sys Fri Mar 13 08:47:32 2009

Update the SMI Drivers from Lenovo's site.

---------

ESET has not been fully removed with the tool in safe mode yet:

eamonm eamonm.sys Wed Mar 24 15:18:28 2010

Last edited:
Actually those aren't new issues, but as I mentioned in my 9/10 posting (copy below), I've been unable to locate any newer versions of the 3 drivers mentioned...

Other ideas or pointers? Time to call Lenovo for hardware (memory?) related problems?

-------- Sep 10, 2010 ------

I have applied the latest Lenovo Power Management Driver, but this did not replace the tppwr64v.sys driver; the October 2006 version is still installed. Maybe no later version has been issued by Lenovo?

I've been unable to locate a later version of the Lenovo SMI Driver smiifx64.sys on the Lenovo support website. Any ideas? Maybe there isn't a later version.

I've been unable to locate a later version of the Conexant driver mdmxsdk.sys, and their website says they won't provide driver updates directly to end users, at request of hardware manufacturers.

-----------------

From your Lenovo support site, download all available for your pc model drivers and utilities - you want them all windows 7 compatible. Then uninstall your current versions thru Programs and Components, reboot, and install those new you've downloaded. If a driver is 7 compatible and at the same time old, it's Ok. e.g. secdrv 2006 is just fine. However, many drivers before 2009 are not compatible with 7 and therefore must be updated. So, if you install 7 compatible software and drivers, you'll be fine.

Update all you can, so at least you know your bsod's are not caused by bad drivers.

Keep attaching your latest crash dumps.

I continued to have BSODs after replacing ESET with MSE and updating all drivers to latest available versions from Lenovo support website.

However, I updated my ThinkPad BIOS to the latest version on 9/24 and have had NO problems for over 2 weeks. I'm hoping that the BSODs are gone for good.

Thanks for your help.

I continued to have BSODs after replacing ESET with MSE and updating all drivers to latest available versions from Lenovo support website.

However, I updated my ThinkPad BIOS to the latest version on 9/24 and have had NO problems for over 2 weeks. I'm hoping that the BSODs are gone for good.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for updating, bios fixed it.

Back