Windows 7 Win8 64 bit to replaced win7 64bit making problem on GPT

joms1976

Hello everyone, i just recently joined this forum because i wanted to seek the solution to my problem. Recently i just bought Lenovo G500 Notebook with Win8 64bit OS but i wanted to replace it with Win7 64bit for the reason i am more comfortable to use win7 ultimate OS and also some of the application is supported with Win7. When im doing the formatting the problem occurs and the procedure cannot go on. After doing the Partitioning a message is showing. "Windows cannot be installed to this Disk 0 partition 5. (Show details) after clicking the message show.

Windows cannot be installed to this Disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Please anyone who's encounter such problem kindly advise me on what to do to give solution to this matter. Thanks in advance. appreciate your quick response.

The main advantage of GPT is a practically unlimited size, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table, more knowledgeable persons may give more info. Speed shouldn't be an issue, if I have it correctly.

It depends on the disk size you have.

While waiting for better advice, a solution could be to use an outside partition program, like AOMEI http://www.disk-partition.com/, or GParted, http://gparted.org/. Windows does have problems with formatting / partitioning.

In this case, the advice would be to boot to the disc via BIOS, delete all partitions, create new ones, perhaps in NTFS form, one partition C for system where you have Windows and crucial programs, big enough, perhaps 80Gb, then one or more partitions for your own files.

That's about all I can say. Hope you get it running. :)

Might be smart to wait for a day or so, if someone else has something to say.

You need to convert your hard disk to MBR using windows interface or 3rd party hard disk utility like MiniTool Partition Wizard, Paragon, AOMEI, etc. You can google up a tutorial for GPT to MBR conversion. There's plenty online.

If you boot the DVD to the UEFI version it will install on the GPT drive. To Boot to the UEFI version, use the Boot Device Menu and select the UEFI version of the DVD Drive.

The Lenovo is probably set up as Windows 8 Secure Boot. You would need to turn that off to enable booting a Windows 7 DVD which normally means enabling a CSM option. But each system seems to be different, so I cannot be exact. Also using the Legacy boot will ignore the Secure Boot environment, but you would need to clean the hard drive, or at least remove all the partitions currently on the drive and in order to see the Legacy boot option, the Bios would have to be set up to see Legacy devices.

If you have not already wiped the drive, you should keep anything related to the Windows 8 install in case you change your mind. I would replace the original hard drive and keep it in a safe place, but you should try to create the recovery media or at least save any images you have which would allow you to restore Windows 8. If there was an image in a large Recovery partition, it should certainly be preserved.

Back
Top Bottom