Windows 7 Window 7 Installation doesn't recognize my hard drive.

Silverhustle

My mother asked me to fix her computer, his window XP is badly corrupted, so I tried to install Window 7 on her computer. However, the hard drive didn't show on the screen. I found it quite odd because BIOS detected it as IDE driver, and it's a SATA driver. I tried to install with old Window XP installation CD. Same thing, doesn't show on the window XP installation screen either.

I tried to hook hard drive on other computer, and was testing with Window 7 XD and see if it was working, and it did. It shown on the disk screen. My guess that it's probably the BIOS that occurred, or perhaps other things. I have one hard drive, nothing more.

Any suggestions?

Hi there...

You probably need the SATA driver for your motherboard ready on a floppy, usb or cd while installing Windows. So visit the motherboard manufacturer's site for the SATA pre-installation driver, so you can have it ready when trying to install Windows again.

I haven't needed it myself, but I'm fairly sure that where you choose the hard drive (and none are shown for you) - that's where you can click a button to point it to the driver you downloaded and have ready.

You probably need the SATA driver for your motherboard ready on a floppy, usb or cd while installing Windows. So visit the motherboard manufacturer's site for the SATA pre-installation driver, so you can have it ready when trying to install Windows again.

To do that, you need to click "Load drivers" on the Windows 7 Installation, and select the download off BIOS's website, correct?

EDIT: The BIOS system is R01-G1, but I don't know which motherboard website it's from. Any ways to find it?

Last edited:
heh heh not quite.

First you need to download the SATA pre-installation driver from another machine, before doing anything.

Then you need to put it on usb stick, cd, or floppy.

Then bring the usb, cd or floppy to the machine you want to install Windows on. Proceed to install and when you need to select a hard drive, click the button for advanced or similar to install the driver.

don't know which motherboard website it's from. Any ways to find it?
The only way I could think of without an OS installed and without using a Live Linux disc, is to look at the screen while powering on - or even go into the bios settings. It should say which motherboard it is somewhere.

Or see if you can find the ownership manual.

heh heh not quite.

First you need to download the SATA pre-installation driver from another machine, before doing anything.

Then you need to put it on usb stick, cd, or floppy.

Then bring the usb, cd or floppy to the machine you want to install Windows on. Proceed to install and when you need to select a hard drive, click the button for advanced or similar to install the driver.

The only way I could think of without an OS installed and without using a Live Linux disc, is to look at the screen while powering on - or even go into the bios settings. It should say which motherboard it is somewhere.

Or see if you can find the ownership manual.

The BIOS is actually ERC410M. Sorry about that. I misread, aha. I'll try find that, and see if it will work.

I found the motherboard's website, I think it's Link Removed - Invalid URL. Thats what It say on the black screen after the DEL/F12 commands screen with "Acer" on it. It's Aspire E500 model, forget to mention that.

Last edited:
On this page, select Desktop, Aspire, then T650.

The SATA driver is there. Extract it to a folder then put it on the usb, floppy or cd - to have ready:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I must say though, that it is an XP driver. Acer does not support Vista or 7 for this board, so you aren't going to have much luck with anything unless you install XP.

That doesn't make any sense, how come it doesn't support Window 7 if I was able to process the window 7 installation on it?

And thanks, I'll try that now.

It's a success! Disks are now shown on the screen and Window 7 is currently installing.

Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Uh no.. That's bad, very bad.

As I was installing other programs on the computer, everything went very smooth and of course, some of programs required me to restart the computer.

Suddenly, the message appeared as "The file possibility corrupted" and something more, like checksum and such after the BIOS screen, and before "Starting Windows" message.

On the next restart, it won't start up, black, no BIOS screen, or any "Acer" with Del/F12 commands. Lights on front of the case used to blanking, but it stopped, although it did flash for first few seconds then stopped. What happened? Could it be the SATA driver installation that screwed it over?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom