Window focus issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by EpsilonVector, Jul 24, 2009.

1. EpsilonVector

EpsilonVector New Member

Unlike previous versions of Windows I do not have automatic change of focus when I open or close an application. For example: if I'm browsing a pictures folder and I open one of the pictures it doesn't automatically make Picture Viewer the active window, nor does it make the folder I opened the image from the active window once I close Picture Viewer, I always need to click the window to be able to control it with the keyboard.
    Any idea on how to fix this?

2. Tepid

Tepid New Member

All I can think is something you installed made some unknown change.
    Or something (with the registry) is corrupted?

These are just guesses.

Does this happen with all windows?

What version of 7 are you using?

And last but not least.... it's an HP, maybe a driver issue.
    The video card is an Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    You can try the Intel Drivers from Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

3. EpsilonVector

EpsilonVector New Member

Updating the drivers didn't help. I have the RC1 Ultimate edition, and this happens pretty much to all windows unless they are preceded by a pop up, for example: a WinRar file that prompts for a password.

4. EpsilonVector

EpsilonVector New Member

OK I ssem to have figured the problem out. I had a program called WorkRave that reminds you to take regular breaks from typing (RSI prevention), and when it does this it steals focus. I removed it from the start up load and now Windows works as I expect it to.

5. cybercore

cybercore New Member

Mine build is 7201, works exactly this way: I open a picture from a folder and my default viewer becomes active. When I close it the folder gets the focus back. Perhaps when it takes time to open, you bring focus to another window, or another software steals the focus ?

If you don't switch to another window after the viewer opens, the focus is to get back to the folder when you close the window.

I too think it must be an application that steals focus. I reckon I've had the same a couple of times, which was due to me quickly switching to another window after clicking on an image. You can try reg changes to prevent stealing focus, but I don't recommend you do that as I once tried in Vista and it turned out ineffective.

6. Tepid

Tepid New Member

I would say try a newer version. I am using 7264 without issues.