Windows 7 Window focus issue

EpsilonVector

Unlike previous versions of Windows I do not have automatic change of focus when I open or close an application. For example: if I'm browsing a pictures folder and I open one of the pictures it doesn't automatically make Picture Viewer the active window, nor does it make the folder I opened the image from the active window once I close Picture Viewer, I always need to click the window to be able to control it with the keyboard.
Any idea on how to fix this?

All I can think is something you installed made some unknown change.
Or something (with the registry) is corrupted?

These are just guesses.

Does this happen with all windows?

What version of 7 are you using?

And last but not least.... it's an HP, maybe a driver issue.
The video card is an Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
You can try the Intel Drivers from Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Updating the drivers didn't help. I have the RC1 Ultimate edition, and this happens pretty much to all windows unless they are preceded by a pop up, for example: a WinRar file that prompts for a password.

OK I ssem to have figured the problem out. I had a program called WorkRave that reminds you to take regular breaks from typing (RSI prevention), and when it does this it steals focus. I removed it from the start up load and now Windows works as I expect it to.

Unlike previous versions of Windows I do not have automatic change of focus when I open or close an application. For example: if I'm browsing a pictures folder and I open one of the pictures it doesn't automatically make Picture Viewer the active window

Mine build is 7201, works exactly this way: I open a picture from a folder and my default viewer becomes active. When I close it the folder gets the focus back. Perhaps when it takes time to open, you bring focus to another window, or another software steals the focus ?

, nor does it make the folder I opened the image from the active window once I close Picture Viewer, I always need to click the window to be able to control it with the keyboard.
Any idea on how to fix this?

If you don't switch to another window after the viewer opens, the focus is to get back to the folder when you close the window.

I too think it must be an application that steals focus. I reckon I've had the same a couple of times, which was due to me quickly switching to another window after clicking on an image. You can try reg changes to prevent stealing focus, but I don't recommend you do that as I once tried in Vista and it turned out ineffective.

Back