Windows 7 Window Media Player 12 limited to 50 folders?

RoseM

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit
Drive C:, 394 GB free
Drive D:, 333 GB free
Windows Media Player, v12.0.7601.24499

I have a problem adding more than 50 folders to WMP. Each folder is either an audio book or a music album.

* Each audio book exists in its own folder on Drive D:. An audio book consists of several 'parts' and each part is an MP3 file about 75 minutes long. I have 11 audio books with a total of 91 parts.

* Each music album exists in its own folder on Drive D:. An album consists of up to about 25 songs in MP3 format. I have 39 music albums with a total of 830 songs.

There is a total of 50 folders (11 + 39) in my Music library. When I try to add another folder (music album or audio book) WMP acts like it added the folder but nothing shows up in the library. When I select Organize > Manage Libraries > Music the new folder does not show up in the folder list.

As a test, I removed 4 folders (music albums with 82 songs) from the library and then added 4 different folders (music albums with 40 songs) to bring the total folders back to 50. So far, so good.

When I tried to add folder 51 WMP wouldn't add it. Nothing happened, no errors. WMP acts like it has a 50 folder limit. I've cruised the 'net but I didn't find anything that seemed to address this problem.

I manually deleted WMP's database files. I reset WMP to its default settings. I uninstalled and reinstalled WMP. None of these solutions worked.

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
RoseM

Hmm. It seems that no one has found the 50 folder limit to be a problem when building their WMP library.

For anyone interested, I solved this problem by moving my music and audio books to a top level folders, one for music and another for audio books. Now all I have to add to WMP are these two top level folders. It seems there isn't much of a problem with WMP marching through sub folders and adding all my music and audio books. It's also a little easier for me to manage my media files.

Thanks for viewing this thread.
RoseM

Back
Top Bottom