Window Server 2012 Login/Password Issues (But our workstations are still connected and we did not change the password)

rickhunter

For some reason we are having trouble accessing our server (windows server 2012) but our workstations (Windows 11) are still connected to it. We have never changed the password so we are not sure what is going on. When we go into windows credentials and see the server there is no show button so we can see the password. I rem in Windows 10 I was able to see it. How can i see the password?

Our workstations still have full access to the server. We can access all the files on the server.

Someone suggested following the steps below to change the server password, however we are scared we will lock out our workstations as well from the server and we will be SCREWED.
  1. Open the command prompt as an administrator from one of the workstations connected to the server.
  2. Type "net user [username] *" and press enter. Replace [username] with the username for the server.
  3. You will be prompted to enter a new password. Type the new password and press enter.
  4. You will be prompted to confirm the new password. Type the new password again and press enter.

Is this a work setting and is active directory in place for authentication? If yes and yes then the workstations would be connecting with individual user credentials.

If it is a stand alone server (no active directory) it would be hard to say how they are connected. The workstations may have credentials saved in the credential manager
Control Panel > Credential Manager

Also there is no easy way to reveal credentials on a system without being logged in with administrator credentials for obvious security reasons

Yeah there is no active directory and the credentials are saved in the credential manager.
If you are absolutely certain it is a local user account on the server and it is not using Active Directory, then gain physical access to the server, boot it into safe mode, and use the Command prompt to reset the local admin account on the server.

You could even boot into safe mode on the server, add a new user if you are worried about the old user account.

Code:
net user [new_username] [password] /add
net localgroup Administrators [new_username] /add

Back
Top Bottom