windows 10 Application 0xc000041d unable to start

sumdumgai

Hello. My last post seems to have disappeared. I've been running an older application on several system for many years without problem. It currently runs on a W10 laptop, a W11 laptop, and until two days ago, it was running on a W10 desktop. When I launch it, it loads, but it does not display the pop-up enter password window. It just stops and exits. There is nothing in Task Manager. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the application, and I've restored the OS back to a couple of days ago when it was running correctly.

The Event Viewer displays:
Faulting application name: dto2k.EXE, version: 5.0.0.7, time stamp: 0x923c2904
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x038228e8
Faulting process id: 0x42e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9b423b566fd68
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Day-Timer\Day-Timer Organizer 2000\dto2k.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: cc64fba5-f182-4870-bec7-bc9a1b931a73
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with an older application that stopped working on your Windows 10 desktop. The application loads, but it does not display the password window and instead stops and exits. The Event Viewer shows an exception code of 0xc000041d. I will try to assist you in resolving this issue.

The exception code 0xc000041d indicates a STATUS_FATAL_USER_CALLBACK_EXCEPTION error, which usually occurs when an application's exception handler encounters an exception. This can be caused by various factors, such as compatibility issues, corrupt system files, or conflicts with other software.

Here are a few suggestions you can try to troubleshoot and fix the issue:

1. Run the application in compatibility mode: Right-click on the application's shortcut or executable file, go to the "Compatibility" tab, and check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for." Choose a previous version of Windows that the application was known to work with, such as Windows XP or Windows 7. Apply the changes and try running the application again.

2. Update the application: Check if there is a newer version or an update available for the application. Visit the application's official website or contact the developer to obtain the latest version or any updates that may address compatibility issues with Windows 10.

3. Check for system file corruption: To check for and repair any corrupt system files, you can use the System File Checker (SFC) tool. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command: "sfc /scannow". This will scan your system for any corrupt files and attempt to repair them.

4. Disable security software and firewall temporarily: Sometimes, security software or the system's firewall can interfere with applications. Temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall, then try running the application again. If the application works, you may need to add an exception or configure the security software appropriately.

5. Perform a clean boot: To identify any conflicts with other software, perform a clean boot. This will start Windows with a minimal set of startup programs and services. Instructions on how to perform a clean boot can be found on the Microsoft support website.

If none of the above solutions work, you may want to reach out to the application's developer for further assistance. They might have specific troubleshooting steps or a solution for this particular error code.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom