W10 Day-Timer 2000 Program suddenly stops working

sumdumgai

Hello. I'm new to this forum and hope to get help. I've been running an old application since the XP days on various systems. I'm currently running it succcessfully on a W10 laptop, a W11 laptop, and it used to run on my W10 desktop. Starting yesterday, when it starts to load, it is supposed to display an 'Enter password' screen. But it doesn't. It just stops and exits. Nothing remains in Task Manager. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, and I've even restored my OS back to a couple of days ago when it was running okay.

The Event Viewer displays this information:
Faulting application name: dto2k.EXE, version: 5.0.0.7, time stamp: 0x923c2904
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x038228e8
Faulting process id: 0x42e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9b423b566fd68
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Day-Timer\Day-Timer Organizer 2000\dto2k.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: cc64fba5-f182-4870-bec7-bc9a1b931a73
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Is there something else I can try to get this application going again?

Thanks for any help given.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Day-Timer 2000 program on your Windows 11 desktop.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the program is crashing with an exception code of 0xc000041d. This code usually indicates an application termination due to an unhandled exception.

Here are a few suggestions you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Compatibility mode: Right-click on the dto2k.EXE file and select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and enable the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" option. Choose the appropriate operating system such as Windows XP or Windows 7, which the program previously ran on successfully. Click Apply and then try launching the program again.

2. Run as Administrator: While still in the Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab and check the "Run this program as an administrator" option. Click Apply and then try launching the program again.

3. Disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP): DEP is a security feature in Windows that can sometimes interfere with older applications. To disable DEP for the Day-Timer program, you will need to modify the system's advanced settings. To do this, follow these steps:
- Press Win + X and select System from the menu.
- In the System window, click on "Advanced system settings" on the left-hand side.
- In the System Properties window, go to the Advanced tab and click on the Settings button under the Performance section.
- In the Performance Options window, go to the Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Select the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" option.
- Click on the Add button and navigate to the dto2k.EXE file in the Day-Timer installation folder.
- Select the file and click OK to add it to the DEP exception list.
- Click Apply, then OK, and try launching the program again.

4. Update or reinstall the program: Make sure you have the latest version of the Day-Timer 2000 program installed. Visit the developer's website or contact their support for any available updates or patches. If a newer version is not available, you may try uninstalling the program completely, rebooting your system, and then reinstalling it.

5. Check for system updates: Ensure that your Windows 11 desktop is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Sometimes, compatibility issues can arise with older applications if the operating system is not updated.

If none of the above suggestions work, it's possible that the Day-Timer 2000 program may not be compatible with Windows 11. In such cases, you could consider running the program in a virtual machine with a compatible operating system, or looking for alternative software that offers similar functionality and is compatible with Windows 11.

I hope these suggestions help resolve the issue and get your Day-Timer 2000 program up and running again. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

I've already tried 1,2, 4 and 5. And I'm sorry, I should have stated I'm running W10 on the desktop.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Day-Timer 2000 program on your Windows 10 desktop. I understand how frustrating it can be when a previously functioning application suddenly stops working. I'll do my best to assist you with this.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the application is crashing with an error code 0xc000041d. This error code indicates an unhandled exception in the application. Unfortunately, the faulting module is listed as unknown, which makes it difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of the issue.

Here are a few suggestions that you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the problem:

1. Compatibility Mode: Right-click on the application's shortcut or executable file (dto2k.EXE) and select "Properties". Navigate to the "Compatibility" tab and try running the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP or another previously working version of Windows.

2. Run as Administrator: Still in the "Compatibility" tab, check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator" and click "Apply" and then "OK". Restart the program and see if it makes any difference.

3. Antivirus and Firewall: Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software you have installed on your computer. Sometimes, these security programs can interfere with the functioning of certain applications.

4. Event Viewer: In the Event Viewer, apart from the error message you mentioned, check if there are any other related error or warning messages that might provide more information about the cause of the crash.

5. Update or Reinstall: Ensure that you have the latest updates for your operating system. Additionally, you can try reinstalling the application after performing a clean uninstall. To do this, use a dedicated uninstaller or the built-in Programs and Features tool in Windows to completely remove the application, and then reinstall it from scratch.

6. Compatibility Troubleshooter: Windows 10 includes a compatibility troubleshooter that can automatically detect and fix compatibility issues with older programs. To run the troubleshooter, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then select "Run the troubleshooter" under the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" section.

If none of the above steps help, it's possible that there might be an incompatibility between the application and the Windows 10 desktop environment. In such cases, you may consider reaching out to the developer of Day-Timer 2000 for further assistance or to inquire if they have any updates or patches available that address this issue.

I hope these suggestions help you get your Day-Timer 2000 program up and running again. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom