Windows 10 Windows 10 Asking me to "Activate"

Maxxcomedy

Recently, I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 Pro, to Windows 10. I wasn't exactly sure how to do it so I used a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool in a USB that I got from another computer. Now there is an annoying watermark in the bottom right corner of my screen that says "Activate Windows
Go to settings to activate Windows". Can someone please help me get rid of this? Thank you.

well did you upgrade or installed with a usb? and was the windows 7 registerd
Yes the windows 7 was registered, and I installed windows 10 with a usb but since I already had windows 7 I should get windows 10 for free, right?

well if you upgrade with a registerd window 7, and upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, windows 10 will register you automatcly .but if you install windows 10 direcly on a clean install it wont register free

no only if you upgrade first then later you could redo a clean install but first need to upgrade in some case. you could direcly install windows 10 with a windows 7 registration key but the correct way is the way like i sayd before, and yes my way is free yes

I used a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool in a USB that I got from another computer
sounds like you may have installed the wrong build.

is this new wx machine on the internet... i.e, it can get past any proxy servers and talk to Microsoft for its activayion key?

does the w7 system also have a home licence in the bios (oem key) and you added a pro key to that?

yes that could be a issue if its not the version as the windows 7 ver.
thank you ussnorway so if the windows 7 was pro you need to download windows 10 pro
but upgrading first i raccomend for a quicker registration

Windows 7 Pro can only be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. I don't have a link that tells where it says that now but somebody here might know. That was my understanding of it.

Windows 7 Pro can only be upgraded to Windows 10 Home.

sorry Sonny thats not right... Microsoft ref = Windows 10 Specifications & System Requirements - Microsoft
Screenshot (6).png

however the option to upgrade a pro 7 to wx pro needs to be an upgrade... you can download the media tool Sandbox linked and that image has both home and pro inside it.

No the Windows 7 was already Pro,
please press [windows key] + [pause] to open your settings and take a look...

here is one of mine for ref... it should say home or pro

Screenshot (5).png

good now follow the instruction of the media creation tool and let me know when its all in a bootble usb ok and if you need assistance with that let me know

Hi Maxx,
to qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10 you must have:

A Genuine copy of Windows 7 SP1

Upgraded to Windows 10.

If you have followed the directions correctly then activation should have been automatic.

Try calling Microsoft by choosing activate by phone and explain the situation. They'll run some tests and hopefully find the issue:
  1. Go to Start, then select Settings, choose Update & security, and then select Activation.
  2. If your device is not activated, the Activate by phone option will be available.

? now boot from the usb and select upgrade and continue the installation when your finished let us know ok thanks

Last edited:
I think that I'll try to re-install windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10. The upgrade will still be available 'till July 1 2016, correct?

Back
Top Bottom