Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Some light has been shed on the update process Microsoft have employed: The reason why some people are seeing the upgrade icon and some are not all depends on what your configuration your machine is and it's related driver support. Microsoft have created a 'Matrix of configurations' and depending on where your machine fits in the 'Matrix' is when it will be upgraded:
I spoke with Microsoft… and one of the things they told me was that the way that they're slipstreaming non-Insider systems into the update process... is they have this matrix of configurations, pc configurations: at one end they have the ones they know are going to work great because it’s just a collection of devices for which they have all proper drivers and everything's going to go great, and then down at the other end is the black hole where there's lots of problems, and what they want to do is get as many people who have all the good stuff updated as quickly as possible.

So it's kind of random… to the user, in the sense that I've heard from many people that "I have this one PC, this brand new one, and I'm not getting the icon, but I have this other one that's a couple of years old, and I did get the icon, you'd think it would be the other way around.

But it doesn't have to do with the age of the system or what OS it's running, it has to do with the components and the drivers that are available and so on.

And so the ones that will go first are the ones that happen to be in the known good part of the matrix, and that will improve over time.
Reference

Also 10 seems to add features linux has had for eons now like virtual desktops.
If you are happy with what Linux offers, over and above MS Windows, then by all means stay happy with it.

I have a Linux distribution on my desktop, with which I play, but usually return to MS Windows for my daily work...

I do feel ( IMHO) that Winbeta have a bee in their bonnet, regarding Windows 10/MS.

This is an accumulative update. It includes updates going back a couple of months. If you have been regularly, keeping up to date, then very little of this will actually be "re" installed. On a relatively slow machine, excluding the required restart, mine took about 15 seconds.

You can see the details here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

It's being mentioned so users look out for it. That was my main intention anyway.

New updates released:
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
This is a summary of the new and changed content scheduled for release on Tuesday, August 11, 2015.

New security content:
  • Security update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012 (KB3087916)

Locale: All
    Deployment: Important/Automatic Updates, WSUS, and Catalog
    Classification: Security Updates
    Supersedes: KB3079777 on Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012
    Target platforms: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows RT* 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT*, and Windows Server 2012
    Approximate file sizes:
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems update: ~ 18527KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 update: ~ 8806KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 update: ~ 11635KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 update: ~ 31235KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows RT 8.1 update: ~ 10819KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 x64 update: ~ 35880KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 update: ~ 16167KB
    • Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows RT update: ~ 8429KB
    Description:
    A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3087916

Microsoft have changed how users keys will be used on activation. As long as your original copy of windows was legit then when you upgrade to windows 10 the activation database is accessed and as long there's a record of your previous activation of windows 7/8.1 a Windows 10 licence is issued. This remains in the cloud and you can even perform a clean install without having to input the activation key. All very different to how things used to be.
With Windows 10, Microsoft has rewritten the rules for how it performs product activation on retail upgrades of Windows, including the free upgrades available for a year beginning on July 29, 2015. The net result is that clean installs will be much easier--but only after you get past the first one.
This article provides further reading:
Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10 | ZDNet

There are several very important points there that all users, knowledgeable or not, should be reading. Maybe the article should be summarised with all those points, and pinned?

I updated my partners pc to windows 10 that was running win 7 pro and it worked great for about 5 hours. Done some updates and when I tried to turn the pc back on the Corsair force 3 ssd had died. Now I dont know if its coincidence or weather the updates killed the ssd but I had to install another ssd and put a win 7 pro image back on it and do the upgrade to wx again. Alls good so far so fingers crossed.
Typically the ssd was 3 months over the warranty period. But at least when changing the c drive to another drive it automatically activated it again no problem.

There are several very important points there that all users, knowledgeable or not, should be reading. Maybe the article should be summarised with all those points, and pinned?
This is a good idea David and when i find a little more time I'll create a sticky or something unless of course one of you guy's do it first..

New build available on the fast ring for those who are part of the insider program. Build 10525 is available now!
Build 10525 is now available for download via Windows Update for Insiders who have registered to be apart of the program. The build will be delivered much like any normal build, and is coming from the “th2_release” development branch much like 10512 did for mobile Insiders. If you’re yet to see the build appear in Windows Update, give it time as the update is rolling out in waves.
Windows 10 build 10525 released to Insiders, download now

Nice effort. I am out of the insider now. I can wait, rather than keep downloading those darn things - particularly this one!

Seems the focuseis on cosmetics and their use, more than performance issues?

This update will be out in October anyway and primarily contains two things. Memory is now handled better which will improve speed but only when the machine is stressed (but thats when you need it right?) and now the little white strip along the top of open windows can be a colour of choice.
Personally I was going to go for it but when I heard it was going to be on our machines by October I decided to wait plus I don't want a nasty watermark all over again lol..

We saw a significant storage performance downgrade when we moved from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. Will the same trend continue, or will Windows 10 provide equal or better storage performance than Windows 8.1? Let's find out.
TweakTown.com are running an article testing the SSD performance between Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

Back