Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Well, I 'm downloading the ISo - I have plenty of room to try it. Darn - back in the wrangle!!

I competed the install. No serious problems. Although I selected to keep my settings, it did lose a few. Nothing that couldn't be put right quickly.
I went through the items as listed, and poked around a little. Nothing too interesting so I put my image back on, ready for the official release - I don't need any complications there!

Not much had changed then? Plus you the watermark to put up too...

Reports of users having activation issues (on a upgraded machine) if the Bios is updated or hardware replaced (not just the moBo).:
Reference

The big update, Threshold 2, is reported to be released on November 2nd:
Reference

Microsoft just went nuts announcing in a new Blog that Windows 10 is to be a 'recommended update' meaning if your windows update settings are set to auto it's being installed whether you like it or not:

Reference

So folks next year prepared to be inundated by users who's machines have suddenly installed Windows 10 when it was never designed to run Windows 10. This is a bad, bad ,bad idea and I simply cannot understand the logic behind it.

I think it does, first, have a look at your specs (only), and, on the strength of that, decides your computer can handle Windows 10. There are a lot of gaps in that!! But it does not heed any possible incompatible software which you may treasure, or idiosyncrasies of hardware, in particular Graphics chips/cards.
The whole idea from the start, with automatic updates, is (IMO) designed to catch pirates, and not for the improvement of any item, or to help customers. . Maybe fair enough, from the point of view of MS shareholders, but it stinks.
Anyway, presumably, after July, when it is no longer free, if they update without my permission, they can be sure that, whatever it takes, they will be paying for it!

Agreed your only supposed to get the upgrade if your machine is considered able to handle it but you know as well as i do David that this is a huge grey area (as you explain eloquently above). Also there are many users out there who don't even know what an update is let alone an upgrade. How are they gonna feel when the open up the laptop to see Windows 10 (probably bsod looping) on their machine instead of good old windows 7?

Or find that they cannot get into the internet , as it is busy downloading with utmost priority. I have always supported MS for acknowledging the lowest common denominator, when compiling their OSs. But they have overstretched on this one, in spite of the MASSIVE feedback
Not relevant to this thread, but, frankly, I am waiting for the big Service pack/update next week. If it doesn't do any magic, I will probably go back to Windows 8.1, which I found did everything I needed, and efficiently.

I am running the latest build and don't see anything "magic" about it. I still don't plan to upgrade my Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines as Win 10 just doesn't offer anything better. Only reasons I see to upgrade are 1) You really, really want Cortana. (I don't) 2) You really, really want the Edge browser. (I don't) 3) You are one that hates Win 8.1. (I don't)

Today was supposed to see the launch of 'Threshold 2'. A major update for Windows 10 including many of the new features Windows Insiders have seen in recent builds. It seems that now it's possibly scheduled for the 10th of November:

Reference

Looks we missed one! Microsoft released a new Insider build on October 29th (fast ring):
Reference

New build possibly next week:
Reference

Couldn't resist (Again!!). The update ran 100% for me. Just formulating the ISO foe a fresh install, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Only comment. Not counting the download time. It was very slow. A fresh install takes half the time..