Windows 10 Windows 10 keeps performing search in folder after clicking show desktop

Syex

Extraordinary Member
Hi, it's been a while since I posted here, I used to post when on Windows 7. I would be grateful if anyone can help me with the following W10 search issue:
If I open a folder and initiate a search in the search bar at top right, once the search has completed, if I then hit the back button, then press 'show desktop', the search will happen again in the same folder. I.E. clicking show desktop to minimize everything on screen re-triggers the search. The only way to stop this is to close and reopen the folder, what is causing the problem and can it be fixed?

Last edited:
The repeated search behavior you're experiencing when using the back button and then clicking "show desktop" might be due to the active search criteria being stored between folder navigations. This behavior is likely controlled by Windows Explorer's search history or the folder's view settings.

To address this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Clear File Explorer History: Resetting File Explorer's search history might help. You can clear the history by opening File Explorer, then go to the "View" tab, and select "Options." In the Folder Options window, go to the "Search" tab and click on the "Clear" button for both "Change how Windows searches" and "Clear File Explorer history."

2. Reset Folder View Settings: Resetting the folder's view settings can also help. Right-click on the folder, go to "Properties," then the "Customize" tab, and click on "Restore Defaults."

3. Disable Search Indexing: If the issue persists, you can try disabling search indexing temporarily to see if it affects the behavior. Go to "Indexing Options" in the Control Panel, click on "Modify," and uncheck your folder then click "OK."

4. Windows Updates: Ensure your Windows system is up to date with the latest updates as this could address any known issues related to File Explorer behavior.

By following these steps, you may be able to resolve the issue with the repeated search behavior in Windows 10 File Explorer.

Back