Windows 10 Windows 10 (latest) updates ate up my disk space?

menuhin

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.
Basically I register mainly to ask this question.
I have a older laptop with an older SSD where I installed Windows 10 (Version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1348) on drive C with the diligently maintained 10-12 Gb of free disk space. I rarely install anything new because I have almost all the tools that I use.
Recently, after this Windows update that tried to (test and) update my system to Windows 11 (for which my system is not compatible due to an older CPU), I found out that there is only around 5 Gb of free space left on drive C.
I tried the usual methods to free up disk space, e.g.
- Right-click drive C --> Properties --> Disk cleanup --> Cleanup system files
- Settings --> System --> Storage --> Temporary files --> Remove files
In particular, "Temporary files" used up almost 4 Gb of space but I am able to remove only in the range of 100-300Mb with the "Remove files" function, i.e. other temporary files are not shown there.
With the application "Everything", I found out that the largest files that I been recently updated on drive C are:
- ext4.vhdx (~ 12Gb) as virtual hard drive for WLS2 which is pretty much quite stable in size
- pagefile.sys (~5.5Gb) the memory cache, which I can't do too much about it with my 8Gb system memory
- winre.wim (~1.7Gb) in the C:\Recovery\WindowsRE folder
- Windows.edb (~0.8Gb) in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows
As seen above, I can remove some Windows restore points (to reduce winre.wim) and/or to rebuild the search database (Windows.edb) with a less generous search indexing range in the system. But these are all not exactly what I fancy to do if what takes up my disk space (unnecessarily) is some kind of Windows 11 update cache.
I hope someone can give me some insight about what else I can do to reclaim my already quite limited disk space.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.
Basically I register mainly to ask this question.
I have a older laptop with an older SSD where I installed Windows 10 (Version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1348) on drive C with the diligently maintained 10-12 Gb of free disk space. I rarely install anything new because I have almost all the tools that I use.
Recently, after this Windows update that tried to (test and) update my system to Windows 11 (for which my system is not compatible due to an older CPU), I found out that there is only around 5 Gb of free space left on drive C.
I tried the usual methods to free up disk space, e.g.
- Right-click drive C --> Properties --> Disk cleanup --> Cleanup system files
- Settings --> System --> Storage --> Temporary files --> Remove files
In particular, "Temporary files" used up almost 4 Gb of space but I am able to remove only in the range of 100-300Mb with the "Remove files" function, i.e. other temporary files are not shown there.
With the application "Everything", I found out that the largest files that I been recently updated on drive C are:
- ext4.vhdx (~ 12Gb) as virtual hard drive for WLS2 which is pretty much quite stable in size
- pagefile.sys (~5.5Gb) the memory cache, which I can't do too much about it with my 8Gb system memory
- winre.wim (~1.7Gb) in the C:\Recovery\WindowsRE folder
- Windows.edb (~0.8Gb) in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows
As seen above, I can remove some Windows restore points (to reduce winre.wim) and/or to rebuild the search database (Windows.edb) with a less generous search indexing range in the system. But these are all not exactly what I fancy to do if what takes up my disk space (unnecessarily) is some kind of Windows 11 update cache.
I hope someone can give me some insight about what else I can do to reclaim my already quite limited disk space.
When you start diskcleaner, (from start, and seach for Diskcleaner, opt to start as administrator)
Is there not an option to select to clean Windows update-files? (This will remove already installed updates, that are saved for uninstall-purpose)

In short you should concider to "tick" all options ecept "device driver package"

If you have not done this before, you should get a decent amount more free diskspace.

Back
Top Bottom