Windows 10 Windows 10 low sound?!

G4ndY

Hi guys!

I have this problem with low audio even with everything on highest possible settings, at first i thought it was my crappy headset that was like 6 years old. But then i bought a pair of studio headphones and to my surprise they had even lower volume than my old crappy "gaming headset".

So far i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek drivers, degrading the drivers to a previous driver, enable/disable loudness equalisation, installing various "boosters" wich does nothing except make the sound louder but with very poor quality. I have even tried reinstalling Windows 10 but to no avail. The thing is i brought the new headphones to a friend and plugged them into his pc wich is running Windows 7 and he can push the volume so you cant even wear the headphones because your ears will explode. But on my Windows 10 machine with everything is maxed out its like i am listening trough the phone or something.... I have googled and googled and googled for like 3 straight days now and nothing is working.

My speccs are as follows :

CPU : Amd Ryzen 1700X
GPU : Amd rx480x2 Crossfire
Motherboard : Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3
RAM : 16gb Dual channel DDR4

Soundcard used is the onboard one "Realtek ALC1220" and it is supposed to be and i quote "ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp
Exceptional audio listening experience with 120dB SNR and support for DSD128 hardware decode.
Smart Headphone Amp automatically adjusts volumes based on detected headphone impedance."

Headphones used are the "AKG K550 MKII"

Any ideas? Thx in advance guys

EDIT 1 : Yes i have tried maxing out all the sliders and tried the sound/communications Do nothing thingy.

EDIT 2 : Updated bios and chipset with no change

Last edited:
Right click on the sound icon and go to playback devices. Right click your default device and go to properties. Go to the Enhancement tab and make sure 'Loudness Equalization' is enabled.

Hi guys!

I have this problem with low audio even with everything on highest possible settings, at first i thought it was my crappy headset that was like 6 years old. But then i bought a pair of studio headphones and to my surprise they had even lower volume than my old crappy "gaming headset".

So far i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek drivers, degrading the drivers to a previous driver, enable/disable loudness equalisation, installing various "boosters" wich does nothing except make the sound louder but with very poor quality. I have even tried reinstalling Windows 10 but to no avail. The thing is i brought the new headphones to a friend and plugged them into his pc wich is running Windows 7 and he can push the volume so you cant even wear the headphones because your ears will explode. But on my Windows 10 machine with everything is maxed out its like i am listening trough the phone or something.... I have googled and googled and googled for like 3 straight days now and nothing is working.

My speccs are as follows :

CPU : Amd Ryzen 1700X
GPU : Amd rx480x2 Crossfire
Motherboard : Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3
RAM : 16gb Dual channel DDR4

Soundcard used is the onboard one "Realtek ALC1220" and it is supposed to be and i quote "ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp
Exceptional audio listening experience with 120dB SNR and support for DSD128 hardware decode.
Smart Headphone Amp automatically adjusts volumes based on detected headphone impedance."

Headphones used are the "AKG K550 MKII"

Any ideas? Thx in advance guys

EDIT 1 : Yes i have tried maxing out all the sliders and tried the sound/communications Do nothing thingy.

EDIT 2 : Updated bios and chipset with no change
Hi,
has the sound has always been like this or was it originally louder?

I run a Gigabyte K7 so have a similar set up, have you tried installing the Creative driver too (although you shouldn't technically need to)?

Also check out my screenshot of the Realtek control panel and try the settings arrowed:
tek.jpg

Hi,
has the sound has always been like this or was it originally louder?

I run a Gigabyte K7 so have a similar set up, have you tried installing the Creative driver too (although you shouldn't technically need to)?

Also check out my screenshot of the Realtek control panel and try the settings arrowed:
View attachment 35237

I have tried this and the tip above with no luck, i just now got the tip to install the "Final Creators Update include Dolby Atmos&DTS Studio Sound" i am downloading it now and hopefully this works

Hi G4ndy,
welcome to the forum.

I'll ask you the same question:

Has the board been like this since the day you bought it or did it suddenly get worse one day?

Hi G4ndy,
welcome to the forum.

I'll ask you the same question:

Has the board been like this since the day you bought it or did it suddenly get worse one day?
Hi :) and thanks

It has been like this since day 1

Have you tried the jack in the front? My software is similar but is branded Asus, includes DTS tabs but no smart headphone.
I might disable the smart headphone, which sounds like it might cut back on volume to save the speaker drivers.
Also, have you tried looking on Gigabyte site for the latest version of realtek suitable for your motherboard?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Have you tried the jack in the front? My software is similar but is branded Asus, includes DTS tabs but no smart headphone.
I might disable the smart headphone, which sounds like it might cut back on volume to save the speaker drivers.
Also, have you tried looking on Gigabyte site for the latest version of realtek suitable for your motherboard?

Yes i have tried those drivers and the jack in the front, no change. It got a little better when disabling the Headphone amp. But it is still way to low, i can have the volume on max still and it is not that loud still..I have tried everything i could think of and that i have found on google. The next thing i am thinking of is buying a seperate sound card

Hi,
If you open up Device manager, right click on the Sound component and choose properties. Look under device status and see if say's 'Working properly'.

Hi :) and thanks

It has been like this since day 1
The reason I ask is, is because it could be the board itself.
Try contacting Gigabyte support ( bottom of the page ) and see what they say. If it is the board then you could get it replaced under warranty.

Last edited:
It does indeed say it is working properly, but i will try rheir support and see what they say

Is there a separate utility for this computer? It could be overriding the Windows audio controls.

Is there a separate utility for this computer? It could be overriding the Windows audio controls.
If you mean a separate Sound utility or program Neem's then yes there is. These boards run a Realtek chip along with Creative Sound Blaster software although I did ask about it above.

Where do I post in regards to a problem I'm having of Sound Fluctuations and trouble shooting that issue to fix it. I'm under a 3 year Dell Warranty on Software and Parts, but this sounds more like a Windows Sound Driver to me. Of course, when I go to update the drivers, the sound remains the same and still fluctuates. Microsoft had problems with this before in XP and Windows 7. Why is it still an issue?

Back