Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro upgrade

ragnarok1968

I'm going to save a few $$$ and buy the Windows 10 pro upgrade via the store. Will I get an actual ISO file to create a 10 Pro USB drive? my intention for this is to use the group policy to shut off automatic updates.

But has anyone purchased "Windows 10 Pro" through the store? And do they give you an .ISO file to create an upgrade USB drive

No, I haven't myself. Others may have here, so more replies may yet come in.

I can tell you that other online stores such as Redbox Software doesn't give you the .ISO file to download, rather they give you a link to the MCT site at Microsoft and you can download the latest ISO file directly from the Microsoft site. Sometimes, other companies will give you a link to Digital River, Microsoft's main download partner. Both of those are safe places to get your .ISO file from.

Here's that link: Download Windows 10

Now that I read your Post again, I think the last consensus about the disabling of automatic updates through Windows Updates could only be accomplished with Group Policy on a domain network, which means you will have to be using a network server running a Microsoft server product such as Server 2012 or Server 2008 RT. If you don't have one of these yourself, or Administrative rights on a domain network server somewhere, you could be wasting your money to make this change.:headache: IT pros I know are telling me they are still struggling with the automatic updates even on corporate networks using MS server software.:(

In any case, best of luck!:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

No, I haven't myself. Others may have here, so more replies may yet come in.

I can tell you that other online stores such as Redbox Software doesn't give you the .ISO file to download, rather they give you a link to the MCT site at Microsoft and you can download the latest ISO file directly from the Microsoft site. Sometimes, other companies will give you a link to Digital River, Microsoft's main download partner. Both of those are safe places to get your .ISO file from.

Here's that link: Download Windows 10

Now that I read your Post again, I think the last consensus about the disabling of automatic updates through Windows Updates could only be accomplished with Group Policy on a domain network, which means you will have to be using a network server running a Microsoft server product such as Server 2012 or Server 2008 RT. If you don't have one of these yourself, or Administrative rights on a domain network server somewhere, you could be wasting your money to make this change.:headache: IT pros I know are telling me they are still struggling with the automatic updates even on corporate networks using MS server software.:(

In any case, best of luck!:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

thanks BBJ. I saw that I can enter an installation key. so I'll be able to install my current home edition of 10 with the MSI drivers and such. THEN I can upgrade to 10Pro with the Pro key. I'm sort of hazy on the key issue here. Future wise, should I simply install home then the upgrade or install home then the pro key after I install home and it will upgrade automatically.

Sure thing. It sort of depends on the ISO file you downloaded as some of those will do BOTH 32bit and 64bit; and some will be a Multi-OS install disk. These ISO images are typically in the 3-5GB range. Microsoft had these in XP, VISTA, W7, but I haven't seen of these for W10 yet unless someone else here has. Since you're buying the W10 Pro upgrade from the Store I'm not really sure which way will work best. I'm pretty sure they won't give you the Multi-OS install ISO file as I have not heard of that coming from the Store, but I could be mistaken. On older versions of Windows, say W7 and older you couldn't simply upgrade a Home version of Windows to the Pro version (unless you had that Multi-OS install disc I have mentioned). You would have had to REPLACE the W7 Home with a W7 Pro, you couldn't run them side by side on the C: drive unless you partitioned the C: drive and ran W7 Home on the boot partition and the W7 Pro on the second partition; or vice-versa.

As yet, I haven't converted any W10 Home versions to W10 Pro on the same partition, and if I did I think I had to follow the W7 paradigm of replacing the existing W10 Home.:headache: If the Store W10 upgrade follows suit with the W7 setup, you'll have to reinstall all of your W10 Home programs, desktop settings, data folder structure (your Library folders), etc. Perhaps you could try to use the W10 File and Transfer settings to transfer your stuff to an external backup drive, then run the W10 Pro upgrade and restore the saved File and Transfer settings from the external drive back onto the newly upgraded W10 Pro OS with the new key. I'm pretty sure the Library folder structure and the Desktop settings would come over, :)but I doubt the installed programs would move over.:waah: That's just a guess however. You'd have to actually try it to see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help here.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

I found out later that through the store, I can install/reinstall Windows 10 pro upgrade. I get an installation key with purchase, and use the store to reinstall each time, just put my 10 pro key in. that's the way I'm understanding it right now. but you are a good and helpful person on these forums

Any changes or when I do purchase in the morning, I'll let you know the process in its entirety and create a thread for windows store upgrading

@kemical , man, you stole my thunder brother.. lol. thanks for the heads up! Well I plunked down $99 for the Pro upgrade. THEN, I extracted my Pro key or my key, I'm guessing I got a new key for Pro. I found a website that showed me a program to see what my key is

If you've upgraded to Win10 and plan to upgrade your PC components, extract your key!

an app called ProduKey and was able to interrogate my system and get that key which I saved for future use.

I also upgraded my insider build to 15046

screen_2.png

and the updated Settings area

screen_1.png

I believe this could be "the" build for the creators update (Redstone 2) barring any needed updates. I've had no issues thus far with Windows build 15046

Back