Windows 10 Windows 10 takes forever to...

FredFish56

I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro. I should really say clean install because the upgrade process trashed my Win 7 installation. I have noticed that when I go to install a new program of change a setting (for example change a drive letter designation in Computer Manager) the hard drive activity light runs and runs and runs and I can hear the mechanical drives on my system run, finally after anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 minutes the install finally starts or the drive letter designation is changed. Windows 10 is on an SSD drive so there should be no sounds of a mechanical drive running. This NEVER happened for the 2 years that I had Windows 7 on an SSD drive with the same mechanical drives. When I installed a new program it started right up, when I made a change through computer manager, boom it was done very quickly.

What has MS messed up in Windows 10 to cause this?

When did you install Windows 10? If it was very recent, have all the updates been installed and is the file system indexing? These could cause a slow down if they are happening in the background. Also what AV suite are you using?

The Windows 10 installation was three weeks ago. As of yesterday all of the updates have been installed. I am using Adobe Creative Cloud. I use SATA III drives in plug-in bays and this delay happens during the first boot after I plug in or remove one of these drives.

Sorry, Duh my brain must have shorted out from the lack of sleep lately. I only have Windows Defender and Firewall at the moment. I run once a week scans with Spyhunter but it is not active all of the time. I have a good hardware router/firewall from WatchGuard but we are replacing that soon with equipment from Barracuda.

Back