Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade Black Screen problem

Stream

Hello, i'm new here,

My Dad has HP Laptop (IDK which one), which had Windows 7 genuine installed, and yesterday there was Upgrade to Windows 10 balloon, he said he later fully installed it with another network, i'm unaware if the intallation was really complete, he maintains that it did.

The problem now is: the Laptop now turns on with a black screen, no cursor, nothing, as far as i'm aware it's skipping the BIOS screen, so if it's anything like Windows 8, it's not a real hard boot, obviously.

Now i'm in a dilemma, there is no BIOS setting to use even the Recovery disk. What am i supposed to do in this situation to fix the laptop?

Thanks

Hello, i'm new here,

My Dad has HP Laptop (IDK which one), which had Windows 7 genuine installed, and yesterday there was Upgrade to Windows 10 balloon, he said he later fully installed it with another network, i'm unaware if the intallation was really complete, he maintains that it did.

The problem now is: the Laptop now turns on with a black screen, no cursor, nothing, as far as i'm aware it's skipping the BIOS screen, so if it's anything like Windows 8, it's not a real hard boot, obviously.

Now i'm in a dilemma, there is no BIOS setting to use even the Recovery disk. What am i supposed to do in this situation to fix the laptop?

Thanks

I'm having the same problem, install went slow but completed - then during the installation of drivers/devices (auto step #2 of installation process) I too suddenly am in the black screen of death with no way out. Rebooting several times, even using the F2 & F12 at initialization but finding no way to go back to previous restore point. It's been 24 hours of this frustration! Help!!!!

Sorry to hear about that .. well, when powered the Laptop would immediately switch to Black screen, nothing would work (no cursor, it seemed like it wasn't actually starting an OS at all), my dad took it to a Computer Repair Service center, and he said they said the BIOS was gone!!

I'm just surprised at how the FREE Windows 10 Upgrade process screwed the Laptop for FREE, the Service center will charge us for the FREE Windows 10 Upgrade (by repairing the Laptop) lol (well in a sense, it is so) i hope you're not that unfortunate though.. good luck..

Sorry to hear you had to take it to a Repair Shop. But saying the Bios is gone might be a little extreme, perhaps something else was involved.

Since it makes a difference as to whether you start from a cold boot or a restart, you may see different indications. The Microsoft Fast Start will skip many things to get the system to the Desktop. If you need to use some key to interrupt that, you have to do it very early in the process. If you ever get into the OS, you might want to turn that off so it doesn't occur again.

On laptops, some folks suggest shutting down and taking the battery out. In some cases that might have an effect and allow you back into the Bios. I suppose the question would be why did it start going to a Black Screen with no cursor of any type on the screen. In some cases, it may take a while to get through this stage, if it can. If it won't continue to the Desktop, keep in mind after three start attempts, it might put you in a recovery scenario and possibly a way out.

If you have external media, it might help booting to that, if you can. If you have not done so, try to the the Media Creation tool to make a DVD or Flash drive for the OS to use in case of problems.

I don't really know what is wrong except possibly a driver was loaded which caused the problem. The more they make an OS compatible with mobile devices, the fewer options the laptop/desktop folks are given to recover their systems.

Recovery? There was no way to enter the BIOS setting at all, i did insert the Laptop's backup disk, hoping it would run it or something, but no, there was no response/read (to be honest ..i didn't expect it to actually work, as i knew it wasn't the boot device selected (still just hoped it'd run)).

This Black Screen on Boot was immediately after the Laptop was restarted by the Software itself (in the upgrade process, most likely).... It was left was continue in Black screen for couple of hours, as my dad thought it was silently installing OS or something.

I know it's hard to believe, i myself couldn't believe the Hardware was damaged by the OS Upgrade.

It's not like i can try to be a smartass and open the Laptop at home, if i could, my first attempt would be to remove the HDD and power the Laptop as it'd ask me to set the Boot device after not finding the selected boot media.

There were no external devices attached, not even mouse, i googled quite a lot before making this thread, i thought maybe this was also the "multi screen bug" or something (that others are facing), i connected another monitor too, nothing showed up. We didn't do anything unnecessary before/during/after the upgrade.

I had read online that Windows 10 was buggy and that there were too many patched releases in a very short time, after reading it, i had advised him not to upgrade, but the Windows 10 free upgrade balloon influenced him to do it. And then even after the process went smoothly, we had Black screen on boot.

But i believe what the Service center said now, from what my dad said, they started testing the chip with some machine (i'm completely unaware of what devices are used to troubleshoot HW issues .. but my best guess is they are something like the "GPGDragon" of Mobile phones?) ..he said it started beeping after they started testing it, and they said "the BIOS is gone".

That's why i don't think we are being fooled, and that the HW is really damaged.

Well, I suppose if it did, it did, but like you say, hard to believe.

Before I dumped the system, I would remove the hard drive and try booting to an Install DVD for Windows 7 or 8. The reason is, Windows 10, and in some cases Windows 8, will not allow you into the bios since they like to skip parts of the boot process to speed it up. If the hard drive is removed and the bios were still to be usable, the DVD should boot like normal.

You are not being a smart... to remove the hard drive. Normal troubleshooting techniques may require such to be done. I have changed out my hard drive several times and it only takes 2 screws being removed to uninstall the drive. Hopefully, yours is that easy to access.

Edit: If you decide to remove the drive, make sure the system is unplugged and the battery is removed, if you can. If you feel the system is unusable, that would be a perfect time to play since you would not be able to hurt anything.

Last edited:
After reading your reply earlier, i did ask my Dad if he had tried taking the battery out, he said he had done it already.

By my comment of "smartass", i meant that i am not allowed (as a customer) to open the Laptop myself (ofc you already know that too),.. if i were allowed to, that would be the first thing i did (before taking it to the Repair center), but they would complain about the Laptop's seal being broken.

Maybe i sounded rude with my "smartass" comment? Sorry about that, English isn't my first language.. my comment was supposed to be "formal", really..

Actually.. when i couldn't access the BIOS at first, i had also guessed it to be because it wasn't a clean boot, but no.. that wasn't the case at all,.. cause one thing i did notice different is that in Windows 8.1 (which is what i'm typing with), the Laptop Manufacturer Logo screen shows up first (even though you can't access the BIOS settings in it's normal/unclean boot), (i guess that also applies to Windows 10 anyway?), but after the restart, that Laptop did NOT show that Logo screen after powering on.. this was the notable difference which makes me believe the problem wasn't the OS loading/hanging up.. with an unclean boot (thus not allowing me to enter BIOS).. it was supposed to show the Logo Screen in any case, wasn't it?

Since it didn't show the HP Logo like it did before, that (to me) supported their "your Laptop BIOS is screwed" claim..

I googled a bit, and it seems few others are also reporting their Computer being bricked, and/or their BIOS being corrupted "co-incidentally" after/during the Windows 10 upgrade!? I did find 2 people commenting/reporting the same symptoms that i had, and they also had it after the upgrade..

Anyway, they repaired the Laptop, pocket screwed and back to Windows 7 :|
Thank you for the reply.. i really appreciate you putting your time to help me..

Last edited:
Your comment was no problem...

You don't void the warranty by removing/replacing the hard drive. Usually there is an access panel you can use to access that and perhaps the memory and Wireless adapter... So for now, just keep it in mind, I have been taking things apart for so long it is just second nature for me.

Let us know if you try the upgrade again.. By the way, what did the Repair shop say they replaced, the motherboard?

Another note; that's relevant, is that many Win7 laptops from HP and others are running UEFI BIOS, and you can no longer use traditional keystrokes from the keyboard to access the BIOS, as the default setting is to lock you the Owner out, and only allow a knowledgeable Technician in to fix it. Some Win7 laptops still have a setting to allow you to use keyboard shortcuts on boot-up, but most of those are disabled, more so with Win8/8.1 laptops.

The other questions, perhaps I missed it here, is that your Dad's laptop didn't sound like it had an internal cd/dvd drive. This makes using Recovery discs via WindowsPE or the Recovery Console quite difficult, as if you don't know how to change the UEFI BIOS settings you couldn't get into a cd/dvd drive for a Recovery Disc or even use diagnostics such as hard drive or RAM tools.

There's a couple of other gotchas in your story as well. If you took out the laptop battery at some point and re-attempted the Win10 upgrade, that's bad news if your Dad experienced a power brownout or blackout during that 2 hour or so download/install process. This happened in earlier versions of Windows as well, Win8, Win7, etc. If you were on MAINS power only during the download/install, and you lost power, that sort of event can scramble both the Hard Drive as well as the Motherboard--sometimes taking out the BIOS. This is why Microsoft has you accept a warning that if you are installing the upgrade on a laptop, to not attempt that upgrade on laptop battery only, as should the power go out during the upgrade process due to a drained battery, they don't guarantee it won't damage your laptop. In other words, all OS upgrades should ONLY be done with the laptop plugged into MAINS power using the AC adapter that came with the laptop.

Perhaps it was none of those, but you might ask your Dad if he attempted the 1st upgrade on laptop battery only or if he recalls a brownout/blackout during the upgrade attempt.

Might explain a few things...

Sorry you had to pay $$ to get it going again.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back