Windows 10 Windows 10 will not boot, boots into "Preparing Automatic Repair"

trymeout

I just did an update in Windows 10 and I was able to boot back into Windows but since I shut my computer down I cannot boot back into Windows and instead it will boot into "Preparing Automatic Repair". In the automatic repair I did try rolling back the update and even reset my PC but it will not work and I get an error not allowing me to roll back the update.

I did encrypt my Windows installation using VeraCrypt but it has been encrypted for a month and I had no issues until now. I did check the boot load order in the BIOS and the VeraCrypt boot loader is above the Windows boot loader.

My Windows 10 installation is installed in UEFI mode.

I got Windows 10 installed but to do so it would not install unless I opened up my computer and unplug my other hard drives that I did not want to use for Windows. I kept getting this error...

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of the installation. To install Windows, restart the installation.

and the only solution I found was to unplug my linux drive. Once I installed Windows my GRUB bootloader was messed even after plug the other drives back in. I had to reinstall my linux distro again and after that I got everything working again in my dual boot computer.
Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of the installation. To install Windows, restart the installation.

I installed both OSes in UEFI mode so I know it wasn't linux that caused this issue, however if this happens in the future since Windows 10 has been notorious for updates causing your windows install to not work, how can I install Windows 10 on the drive of my choice and not have to unplug any other internal drives?

Last edited:
I have 4 hard-drives, and I don't unplug them for a install. Although Windows likes to install to the drive on the very first sata plug.

Linux is easy going as to which hard-drive it gets. Though the grub for dual booting has to on on the first drive.

When I've gotten "Preparing Automatic Repair" message... It is generally after I installed something iffy, a uninstall didn't go right.

I just did an update in Windows 10 and I was able to boot back into Windows but since I shut my computer down I cannot boot back into Windows and instead it will boot into "Preparing Automatic Repair". In the automatic repair I did try rolling back the update and even reset my PC but it will not work and I get an error not allowing me to roll back the update.

I did encrypt my Windows installation using VeraCrypt but it has been encrypted for a month and I had no issues until now. I did check the boot load order in the BIOS and the VeraCrypt boot loader is above the Windows boot loader.

My Windows 10 installation is installed in UEFI mode.

Are you getting any error message?

Method 1: I suggest you to boot into safe mode and try to update all the drivers. Check if it helps.

Step 1: First, I would suggest you to download the ISO file of Windows 10 from below Microsoft Help Article and create a Media Installation Disk.
Then try to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

Boot the Computer with the Windows Installation Media:

1. Start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.
2. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so.
3. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Mode.
4. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on Troubleshoot.
5. Click on Advanced Options.
6. Then on click on Startup Settings.
7. Click on Restart and choose Safe mode with Networking or Low resolution.
8. Then try to update the drivers.

Step 2: I would suggest you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.
1. Press Windows Key + R Key.
2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.
3. Expand Display Adapter.
4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.
Note: We need a Wired Internet Connection to update drivers in safe mode. You may try selecting Low Resolution option if there is not wired internet connection on your Computer. Try to update all the device drivers if possible.
If the issues still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I recommend you to perform Startup Repair of the Computer and check if it helps.
1. Start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.
2. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so.
3. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Mode.
4. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on Troubleshoot.
5. Click on Advanced Options.
6. Then on click on Startup Repair.

Regards,
Adrian

Back