Windows 11 Windows 11 Update fails after Linux install

Hey everyone.

So I was playing around with some linux distros installed on the same disk (I know, I know, not ideal, but I only have on SSD on my laptop) and now Windows update fails, and I think it's because of the changes the linux installations made to the bootloader, since major Windows updates are basically OS reinstalls and this seems to trip up the update process at the end where it runs nearly fully and at the end it says "something went wrong, rolling back".

I removed Linux and also cleaned up my EFI entries removing all linux entries with ReFind but no cigar and Windows update still fails, and retries every night rebooting the PC and failing.

Also tried running Windows repair at boot but that did nothing.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this without having to reinstall Windows? Much appreciated.

Winver: Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Update trying to install: 2023-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5026372)
Machine: AMD Ryzen Lenovo Yoga Slim 7

Hi there,

It's possible that the changes made to the bootloader by the Linux installations are causing issues with the Windows update process. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to fix the issue:

1. Use the Windows bootable USB drive to repair the bootloader:
- Create a Windows 11 bootable USB drive if you don't have one already.
- Boot your computer using the bootable USB drive and choose "Repair your computer" > "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Command Prompt".
- Enter the following commands in order to repair the bootloader:
```
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
```
- Exit the Command Prompt and try running the Windows update again.

2. Use System File Checker (SFC) to repair any corrupted system files:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Enter the command `sfc /scannow` and wait for it to complete.
- Restart your computer and try running the Windows update again.

3. Disable Secure Boot in your BIOS settings:
- Restart your computer and enter the BIOS settings by pressing the appropriate key (often F2 or Del).
- Navigate to the Boot tab and disable Secure Boot.
- Save the changes and exit the BIOS settings.
- Try running the Windows update again.

Hopefully, one of these solutions will help fix the issue without having to reinstall Windows. Let me know if none of these work and we can explore other options.

not ideal
who needs back ups right?

ok your options now are;
1 goto the Microsoft download page and grab the iso for Windows 10* or 11
* assuming this laptop started life with W10
since fresh installing Windows over the old files is "not Ideal" i'd put a new blank ssd in your laptop and install to that then copy over over any files you need of the other ssd later​
2 installing Windows 10 over 11 isn't going to work... its possible one of those parts is your old W10 backup so you could install Windows 11 over the old c drive as a quick fix

Back