Windows 11 Windows 11 - upgrade or downgrade?

Mrdavie

I have utilized Microsoft operating systems since before Windows - using DOS and running Wordstar, utilizing dot commands to maneuver through the application. I feel I have some credibility for the couple of comments to follow because, computers, software, Microsoft (and even UNIX) were part of my daily endeavor for most of my career.

Is Windows 11 a step forward from Windows 10 or a step backwards? I ask this first because Windows 11 threw-out the tiled start up screen, which enabled me to arrange my applications by subject and to have as many apps on the start up screen as I need. The new start up screen is static, only allowing me to add apps without regard to subject matter, but to arrange them in any order. Unfortunately, there is a liminited number of app on the first screen, which quickly requires a second screen. This is not sufficient flexibility for me.

Secondly, when I decided to go back to utilizing my desktop for arranging applications, the process of adding shortcuts to the desktop became multi-stepped. No longer can I right click on an app and choose "send to desktop as a short cut." No. First I have open the file location, select "more options" and only then can I create a shortcut. But the process doesn't stop there. A message tells me I cannot create the shortcut in the folder where the app resides, do I want to place it on the desktop. YES!

My goal use to be to see how few clicks I could make with the mouse to complete a task in Windows. Now, with Windows 11 the reality is, many clicks are required to complete a task. I am not a happy camper with Windows 11. It has been more than ten days since upgrading, so all the Windows 10 software has been automatically deleted. If I want to reload Windows 10, I am required to blow away all files and applications on my computer. I am back in the Eighties with my PC.

Last edited:
I decided to try Win 11 based on the statement that I could roll back within 10 days. I found that many things you could do in Win 10 now take multiple clicks, so I decided to roll back. The truth is that if you do roll back, Windows will keep trying to reinstall Win 11 and there's no way to prevent it short of disabling all Windows updates. This means the statement about rolling back was a complete lie.

There must be thousands of other people who tried to roll back. Apparently MS doesn't care about anything other than trying to force users to Win 11.

I have utilized Microsoft operating systems since before Windows - using DOS and running Wordstar, utilizing dot commands to maneuver through the application. I feel I have some credibility for the couple of comments to follow because, computers, software, Microsoft (and even UNIX) were part of my daily endeavor for most of my career.

Is Windows 11 a step forward from Windows 10 or a step backwards? I ask this first because Windows 11 threw-out the tiled start up screen, which enabled me to arrange my applications by subject and to have as many apps on the start up screen as I need. The new start up screen is static, only allowing me to add apps without regard to subject matter, but to arrange them in any order. Unfortunately, there is a liminited number of app on the first screen, which quickly requires a second screen. This is not sufficient flexibility for me.

Secondly, when I decided to go back to utilizing my desktop for arranging applications, the process of adding shortcuts to the desktop became multi-stepped. No longer can I right click on an app and choose "send to desktop as a short cut." No. First I have open the file location, select "more options" and only then can I create a shortcut. But the process doesn't stop there. A message tells me I cannot create the shortcut in the folder where the app resides, do I want to place it on the desktop. YES!

My goal use to be to see how few clicks I could make with the mouse to complete a task in Windows. Now, with Windows 11 the reality is, many clicks are required to complete a task. I am not a happy camper with Windows 11. It has been more than ten days since upgrading, so all the Windows 10 software has been automatically deleted. If I want to reload Windows 10, I am required to blow away all files and applications on my computer. I am back in the Eighties with my PC.

Haha, your an old timer like me. Started before Apple and Microsoft were born. Mainframes (IBM 360’s, DEC PDP11 and HP). I use a product called "Fences" from stardock.com starting with Windows 10 and it works on 11 as well. I bought the whole suite called ObjectDesktop. Fences is pretty cheap as a stand-alone ~$9, but sometimes you will get an offer ~$5. I’ve recommended this to a lot of our customers and they love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The catch is that you can't "downgrade" from Windows 11 to Windows 10; you have to do a clean install. That means backing up and restoring your data files and reinstalling all your apps.

Back