Windows 7 Windows 7 64 printer & file share with XP home 32

JaBe

Hi.
For first thing to say that I have been working for few days to get this solved and I have tried to do many how-to's but no. No results. Even disabling homegroup.

I still CANNOT SEE my XP on my Windows 7 or my Windows 7 on XP.

This is really coming a problem because I have printer on XP and I need to use it from Windows 7.

Also I see many other people at network on Win 7. And I do not want to see them.

Any help is welcome. Please and thanks!

Edit:

Link Removed due to 404 Error
As you can see there. I see many others but not my XP home edition computer. I have shared some files already.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue where the Network in Win7 wasn't seeing my WinXP shares. The only way I could get it to work, was to manually type in the computer name in windows explorer.

If you are all on the same internal network this should work.

Find out the name of the XP machine and try this:

1) Open Windows Explorer
2) in the address bar at the top type:
\\XPCOMPUTERNAME
(backslash backslash computername)
and hit enter

That worked for me! If you have user/pass enabled it will ask for the user/pass of the pc of course.

Let us know if that worked.

I'd suggest setting up the network in XP again. Every time I have a problem with networking between XP, Vista and W7 the problems are always caused by XP.

Also try this. In the address bar type; \\{XP computer's IP Address}. Notice the back slashes. Whenever XP is being sluggish in my network this will always connect it.

I tried those but no. Even with IP address it didnt work. And I wanna get rid of those unknown people at my network!
There is already 1 same named at win 7 network but its not same workgroup as my XP. This is so buggy and weird shit.

But most thing is to get that printer to work at my Win 7.

Help me please.

Edit: Now I tried to change the XP name to unique but no. Doesnt connect.

Last edited:
Are you saying that all those PC's listed are on your network, but they are not your own computers?

Eeks.. are you wireless?

Last edited:
Are you saying that all those PC's listed are on your network, but they are not your own computers?

Eeks.. are you wireless?

They are NOT my computers. I dont even know that people. Okay they might be at my near city. But how the hell I can see them?! Im not using wireless. Its cable to fiber modem. This is so confusing. Am I in security risk or something. I just wanna get those people of my network and then get my XP to show. Also XP's printer to show up.

It looks like you live in a dormitory or something and you're using a shared internet connection. If you live in a private home and you have a wired connection then you should probably call your Internet Service provider. If you're not on a shared network there's no way you should have strangers in your network.

Yea. I will email provider and im gonna take clear what is with this. But now I have been jiggling with win 7 firewall and now others can see my files but I cant connect to others.

At cmd prompt I type "net view" without quotes and then it shows by 2 other computers. But I cant access them. They can access to me. Still trying to find out.

Back